ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Where to go near Montrose, Colorado?
DJ Garcia
post Feb 15 2016, 03:06 PM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 122,515

So i have been into rocks/minerals and fossils for a a while now and have found some cool stuff here just around my house and some areas i knew about. Does anyone know of any places that are public where i can go rockhounding? is anyone on here from Montrose or in Montrose? thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
johnnybravo300
post Feb 15 2016, 06:29 PM
Post #2

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 120,659

I don't know that area's minerals specifically but there's blm and natl forest not far. You should be good to go as long as its not private or claimed.
My maps don't show much mineralization around Montrose but they've been wrong before. I find discrepancies in my maps all the time. I know there are fossils and petrified wood around there. I find alot of that too, and arrowheads. I think that huge hill that stretches from north to south just a few miles west of Montrose is a huge lateral moraine from the uncompahgre glacier. It's an out of place hill that's hundreds of feet high, and Its made up of river gravel type rock. There is probably fine gold dispersed around since it came up from the ridgeway area I believe. Someday I'd like to sample a drainage coming off that if there's anywhere available that isn't private. You never know where a decent placer could be and its easy to sample.
My prospecting partner is moving to that area this spring.
I'm further east around the Gunnison area.
Welcome to the forum!

--------------------
Level 2 member -12/25/16
Referral code JL697

+Quote Post
DJ Garcia
post Feb 16 2016, 12:34 PM
Post #3

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 122,515

QUOTE (johnnybravo300 @ Feb 15 2016, 05:29 PM) *
I don't know that area's minerals specifically but there's blm and natl forest not far. You should be good to go as long as its not private or claimed.
My maps don't show much mineralization around Montrose but they've been wrong before. I find discrepancies in my maps all the time. I know there are fossils and petrified wood around there. I find alot of that too, and arrowheads. I think that huge hill that stretches from north to south just a few miles west of Montrose is a huge lateral moraine from the uncompahgre glacier. It's an out of place hill that's hundreds of feet high, and Its made up of river gravel type rock. There is probably fine gold dispersed around since it came up from the ridgeway area I believe. Someday I'd like to sample a drainage coming off that if there's anywhere available that isn't private. You never know where a decent placer could be and its easy to sample.
My prospecting partner is moving to that area this spring.
I'm further east around the Gunnison area.
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the input ive done some research with some geological maps but nothing interesting ive found tons of Devils toenails alot of calcite and tree. Mindat has some info here but thought id see if you guys knew of any places thanks again! :)

+Quote Post
HighGrade
post Nov 4 2016, 12:42 PM
Post #4

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 122,683

Hello DJ Garcia,
If your still in the area there are great places to rockhounding. Just head South towards the San Juans, Especially around Ouray. Check out any of the mine dumps along 550 or head up Camp Bird rd just ouside of Ouray. Also the Uncompaghre river is a good to find fine gold. Let me know if you are in the area, always looking for friends to go rock hounding. Also, if you head west towards Uravan, there are several good copper mines and places to find Uranium ore.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:46 PM