ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Where does this fall legally?
EMac
post Feb 13 2018, 06:00 PM
Post #1

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 117,949

I recently read that the LAL tests we conduct in my industry are produced from horseshoe crab blood ($19k/liter!), and today read this article about malacidin that is present in certain desert soils including CO. Malacidin has scientists hopeful about it's promise as a new antibiotic.

1) Fast forwarding past the years of clinical trials, vast testing, and expense that would precede FDA approval, and 2) making the assumption they would have to harvest new material as with the horseshoe crab, I wonder where this would fall legally to source the soil material? Doing some searching, I couldn't quickly find how soil producers are governed. Does anyone know?

What if a claim owner found that the overburden hiding their claim's values was actually significantly more valuable than the minerals? Could you harvest and sell it?

Same question if this material is present on property you own (unpatented most likely, but if patented changes the answer, I'm curious about that too)?

Edited for grammar.

--------------------
Lifetime Member
opera non verba

"All courses of action are risky, so prudence is not in avoiding danger (it's impossible), but calculating risk and acting decisively. Make mistakes of ambition and not mistakes of sloth. Develop the strength to do bold things, not the strength to suffer." ~Niccolò Machiavelli

Ref Code:

EM448
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Crusty
post Feb 15 2018, 10:34 AM
Post #2

Master Mucker!

Group: Members
Member No.: 82,915

Is bacteria "vegetative?"

Most of the google hits just made my head hurt trying to understand them, but it appears some types form "vegetative cells" but I don't think as a general rule, bacteria is considered vegetation. But then I'm only had one cup of coffee lol

And is it a "surface resource subject to management or disposition by the United States ?"

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
7 User(s) are reading this topic (7 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:55 AM