ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Cowboy Holster
Dypheron
post Jan 12 2015, 12:58 PM
Post #16

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 52,528

Holster #3, this one took about 5 hours from start to finish, not including the time for the dye to dry. This one will probably be sealed and polished as I'm pretty sure he wants this one and not one made from better quality leather. Very happy with how this one turned out, the cylinder guard and trigger cutout sat exactly where I wanted them without modification to the template. Also added a makers mark of sorts to the bottom for some extra style.

[attachment=7561:IMG_2015...1345_671.jpg]

--------------------
Life goes by so fast/You only wanna do what you think is right/Close your eyes and it's past/Story of my life - Mike Ness
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CP
post Jan 12 2015, 02:26 PM
Post #17

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Nice work Brandon, I'd say for your first three pieces those all turned out really nicely. You'll only get better from there then. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jan 13 2015, 08:01 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 6,983

Nice progress Brandon!
Don't be shy with that stitch groover, I like to go deep. Can also buff the inside of those decorative grooves when you get a final holster. From what I can see in that pic your burnishing looks pretty good. I highly recommend this resource if you haven't used it yet... these guys are super helpful and great archives: KN Sheath & Holster Forum

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Dypheron
post Jan 13 2015, 03:05 PM
Post #19

Rock Bar!

QUOTE (swizz @ Jan 13 2015, 07:01 AM) *
Nice progress Brandon!
Don't be shy with that stitch groover, I like to go deep. Can also buff the inside of those decorative grooves when you get a final holster. From what I can see in that pic your burnishing looks pretty good. I highly recommend this resource if you haven't used it yet... these guys are super helpful and great archives: KN Sheath & Holster Forum

On that particular holster I made the mistake of both beveling both sides of each edge, and also beveling before I ran the groover. Made the edge too soft to keep the groover from wandering so I had to go real slow with it. Lesson learned, groove first, then bevel only one edge of a seam. Did burnish nicely though, I use a piece of deer antler and it works great. I need to get out this spring and look for drops, have you seen any Elk antlers up at the claims?

--------------------
Life goes by so fast/You only wanna do what you think is right/Close your eyes and it's past/Story of my life - Mike Ness

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jan 13 2015, 03:12 PM
Post #20

I haven't found any sheds up there but haven't looked either. one antler should last you a lifetime for burnishing though. I use the cheap plastic burnishing tools, good shapes. Usually by the time I can access the claims it's too late for shed hunting. I also need antlers for the Wolfdog to chew, they said no rawhide. Buggers are more than $18 per lb. Luckily I have a friend up here who is a pro shed hunter and supplies them to places like Petsmart. Said he would sell them to me for $12 per lb. Once the pup gets the scent and taste of antlers as a regular chew... she will make a fine shed hunter and I'll probably try to get them on my own each year. Shed hunting's a big deal up here. The guys really guard their secret spots that pay off every year.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Jan 13 2015, 03:43 PM
Post #21

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

While you two are talking leather nerd business, not that looks are the most important factor, but would it be possible to come close to the same color of leather for a holster from Brandon and one of your sheaths Chris? Understand the indivdual designs and details will be different, but seems like it would be good if I'm going to be wearing both, it'd bo good if they were at least the same general color lol

If not, no worries... just don't want to get laughed off the mountain smiley-laughing021.gif for not being fancy enough!

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Dypheron
post Jan 13 2015, 04:11 PM
Post #22

Rock Bar!

I would think if we both used the same dye and same leather they'd be almost impossible to tell the difference. Chris, I assume you are using Fiebings?

--------------------

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jan 13 2015, 04:51 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (Dypheron @ Jan 13 2015, 03:11 PM) *
I would think if we both used the same dye and same leather they'd be almost impossible to tell the difference. Chris, I assume you are using Fiebings?

Yes, Fiebings Oil Dye. Hopefully you're using the oil based dye... what color? Looks like Walnut or Mahogany?
Also.... using several good rubs of Carnauba Creme for protection and finish which tends to darken it a shade and give just the right amount of luster (not too shiny). I have Leather Sheen but I don't like that finish.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Dypheron
post Jan 13 2015, 05:05 PM
Post #24

Rock Bar!

QUOTE (swizz @ Jan 13 2015, 03:51 PM) *
Yes, Fiebings Oil Dye. Hopefully you're using the oil based dye... what color? Looks like Walnut or Mahogany?
Also.... using several good rubs of Carnauba Creme for protection and finish which tends to darken it a shade and give just the right amount of luster (not too shiny). I have Leather Sheen but I don't like that finish.

No, I'm using the regular Fiebings, but I can go get some of the oil based. The first two holsters were done in Dark Brown, the third was Medium.

--------------------

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jan 13 2015, 05:24 PM
Post #25

Definitely go with oil based (especially for outdoor stuff) and let me know what color you settle on. I'm applying with daubers as per Ian's vids. I have enough Show Brown to do another sheath or I can order any color. Show Brown is the color used for the recent wet-form knife sheath I posted in the other thread, have a look at page 24, post 356 is Show Brown, post 359 is Spanish Brown. Any thoughts Mike or Brandon?
I have tons of time on this. You'll be done before I even get his knife built and can match.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
fenixsmom
post Jan 14 2015, 10:07 AM
Post #26

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 116,305

Uhhh WOW!!!!!!! Fantastic work Brandon!

+Quote Post
Dypheron
post Jan 16 2015, 10:39 PM
Post #27

Rock Bar!

QUOTE (fenixsmom @ Jan 14 2015, 09:07 AM) *
Uhhh WOW!!!!!!! Fantastic work Brandon!

Thanks Jessie!

As far as the color goes I'll leave that up to Mike. I'm going to start working on the holster design this weekend and should have it done Sunday. I should be able to do the wet forming based on the Taurus I have on hand as they're close enough in size and shape.

On a non holster related note:

[attachment=7570:IMG_2015...0954_988.jpg][attachment=7572:IMG_2015...1031_656.jp
g]

I bought a drill press today and some sanding drums, works wonders for cleaning up uneven edges. should prove useful as well as a hole punch for nice clean holes that are vertical. Have to get another stitch awl shaft and figure out a good way to keep the chuck from rotating to test that out though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Jan 16 2015, 11:34 PM
Post #28

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

cool stuff!

I'm not set on a color; if y'all have something close, that'll work!

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jan 17 2015, 05:51 AM
Post #29

Nice sheath Brandon! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Is that a railroad spike knife?

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Dypheron
post Feb 3 2015, 04:16 PM
Post #30

Rock Bar!

QUOTE (swizz @ Jan 17 2015, 04:51 AM) *
Nice sheath Brandon! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Is that a railroad spike knife?

That's a medieval wrought iron knife I picked up a while back from BudK. Unlike most of their selection that looks big in the picture that was the exact opposite. Cool little knife though.

Now that I know my template is a good fit for Crusty's iron I'm going to go ahead and start. What style holster did you want Crusty? Same style as the one we test fit with, or something more along the lines of the one you have but sitting lower on the hip?

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:12 AM