ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Fossils keep me from getting skunked again
MontanaLon
post Aug 24 2012, 12:09 AM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 43,941

Being in Illinois we have gold but it is few and far between. Luckily for me we have lots of fossils. Make that tons of fossils. I have a pretty good collection of various sea creatures from the far distant past that I have picked out of my material while looking for gold. They range in size from 2" down to 1mm. To tell you the truth it almost gets downright boring finding fossils. Crinoids make up the bulk of them with corals a distant second. In a good bucket of gravel it is about normal to find 100+ crinoids if I spend the time looking. Mostly I don't spend the time and just pick out the larger ones that pop into view as I am feeding the highbanker.

Today as I was feeding it I saw something different, much larger than crinoids and not of marine origin. So I pocketed it and kept feeding the beast.

Got home and confirmed my suspicion that it is either a horse or buffalo tooth. It is unusual in that I have never found anything like it or even suspected I would. I have heard there are not so ancient fossils out there from ice age animals and I guess this is just one example. Now I need to find a mammoth tooth.

And no there is no gold filling in it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
swizz
post Aug 25 2012, 07:37 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,983

Wow.... that is one heck of a byproduct! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
If I lived in your neck of the woods I'd probably be more inclined to fossil hunt more often than prospecting for Gold.
What an excellent find, thanks for sharing those pics... what is the size of that tooth?

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Denise
post Aug 25 2012, 10:33 AM
Post #3

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

A very cool find indeed, good job! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
It's the sweet little extras out there like that, that makes for extra interesting prospecting trips. Some of the coolest things I have found, wasn't even what I was seeking when I went out....especially gold prospecting. giggle.gif happy088.gif

Good eye! Sounds like a great area for all kind of goodies to be found. I'm looking forward to what you may find next in your adventures....... eating-popcorn-03.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
MontanaLon
post Aug 25 2012, 10:18 PM
Post #4

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 43,941

QUOTE (swizz @ Aug 25 2012, 09:37 AM) *
Wow.... that is one heck of a byproduct! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
If I lived in your neck of the woods I'd probably be more inclined to fossil hunt more often than prospecting for Gold.
What an excellent find, thanks for sharing those pics... what is the size of that tooth?

Forgive my not putting a reference in the photo.

It is pretty good sized and hard to miss.

Being here is a blessing and a curse. I always have a good reason to not bring home gold, there isn't much here. And a curse because I always have a reason to not bring home gold. The fossils are a tedium breaker for me, I don't know what I would do if I just had to shovel dirt for hours and not have something else to do.

I always take my son with me too. We spend some time running dirt and some time chasing minnows, frogs and crawdads.

My goal is to find a mammoth tooth. They are around just gotta keep looking. Maybe I will find some gold under it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:46 AM