ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Machete
swizz
post Jun 22 2012, 09:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,983

Woody gifted me a machete blade which he crafted on a bench grinder from some good steel. He did a great job! It is the classic machete shape and the blade length is 20". The steel is 1/8" thick, it is a beast. happy088.gif He had given it a rope-wrapped handle and suggested that I may want to craft a better handle at some point.
Thank you again Woody! cheers.gif ... and as you know, this will be a very useful tool at our claims. wink.gif
I accept the handle challenge and after doing lots of internet research on knife-making I have begun to fabricate a Sugar Maple handle for it. soldier.gif chores041.gif

Bad thing is... I've discovered that the world of knife-making is a whole new creative avenue that I intend to pursue! I'm not a knife freak, but this is fun. Just what I need, another set of irons on the fire (literally). huh.gif
However, the good thing is that I can combine lapidary with knife building... and even use my minerals from the placer mine. High-end fancy knives often incorporate full stone handles and stone inlays which are polished and shaped to perfection.
There is one famous knife-maker I was researching who has a knife for sale that has a handle made of Unakite (about $2K, not cheap). Link: Unakite Knife Handle
I recall a recent CP Forum thread discussing whether or not Unakite may be lap-able.... definitely YES!
Click around his knives and you'll see other gemstones and minerals that he uses to create beautiful knife works. He is an incredible artist. worthy.gif
Unakite is abundant on my claim.... along with other minerals that would work well for knife handle materials. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Anyway... I still have a LOT to learn before I try to tackle stone handles. A man can dream, right? For now... this is my progress on the Maple handle I'm constructing for the machete. I've also done quite a bit of blade work on it but those pics will have to wait. smiley-cool14.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Denise
post Jun 23 2012, 09:34 AM
Post #2

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif That's looking great Chris! Very nice wood choice. Are you going to woodburn "Yooper" on it? biggrin.gif
Cool link and some very fine looking stone knife handles!! I have no doubt that you will make just as amazing handles from stone someday Chris.

Was very cool of you to give that to Chris Woody, your tops. happy088.gif I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Keep up the good work.
chores041.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jun 24 2012, 08:38 AM
Post #3

Thanks!

I've done some shaping and fitted my handle.
Now I'm using a ball-pein hammer to pound 1/4" dia brass rods into rivets.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Woody
post Jun 24 2012, 07:10 PM
Post #4

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 15,615

I'll bet that fits good in the hand. Can't wait to heft the finished product. I knew you would do good stuff with it and you certianly did not let me down. Woody

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member
(currently working hard in the procurement department)

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jun 24 2012, 07:43 PM
Post #5

Thanks Woody... just my kinda project. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I have completed it.
Just need to stain it a little darker, apply Tru-Oil for a finish, and she's good to go! I will order a belt sheath too, they're inexpensive.

It is a "Full Tang" handle... which means that the metal behind the blade (Tang) runs all the way through the handle.

I did some fancy work on the blade for fun and practice

[/CrocodileDundee voice]: ".... now that's a knife" laugh.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
russau
post Jun 25 2012, 05:00 AM
Post #6

russau

Member No.: 43

mighty good lookin! you both did a nice job! but it makes my "store bought" look pretty cheap! haha

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:38 PM