ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

31 Pages V  « < 25 26 27 28 29 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
My last outing, A Weekly posting
Woody
post Jul 11 2017, 08:42 AM
Post #391

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,615

Thanks guys,

I have had some awesome luck these last few days especially with the Zircons. I now wish I had waited two weeks to make that video. My recent finds are far better than anything I had previously. I
am finding some awesome combos. The best are Goethite, Crystal combos but also with Zircons!. I'll post up some pics soon. Here is Something I found this weekend. It looks like a garnet, Feels like
a garnet, should be a garnet right? But I doubt it.

Since 1981 I have frequented this area that I am now in. In those days, a person could drive right next to my favorite dig spots. "Now days the hike is about 3 miles one way'. I say this only to
establish that I have been digging in this area for quite a while, and in all of that time, I have never seen so much as a fragment of a Garnet with in 50 miles of here. For that reason alone I doubt this
is a garnet. Also I found this in a hole that does not seem likely to producing garnets. The target in this hole is Geothite/crystal combos.

Much investigation work is needed, but here are a few pics. Enjoy, Woody.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member
(currently working hard in the procurement department)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Woody
post Jul 11 2017, 08:47 AM
Post #392

Rock Bar!

Here are a few pics of some other find from the same dig. Very iconic combos. Never seen this coloration before in association with Geothite. Vey cool stuff. Have a good one, Woody.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
EMac
post Jul 11 2017, 10:32 AM
Post #393

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 117,949

Great finds man; very cool! Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
Lifetime Member
opera non verba

"All courses of action are risky, so prudence is not in avoiding danger (it's impossible), but calculating risk and acting decisively. Make mistakes of ambition and not mistakes of sloth. Develop the strength to do bold things, not the strength to suffer." ~Niccolò Machiavelli

Ref Code:

EM448

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Jul 13 2017, 07:27 AM
Post #394

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

Awesome finds!

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Jul 24 2017, 10:26 PM
Post #395

Rock Bar!

Quicksilver - 16

Recently on one of my outings, I came upon this very sad find. It is a door from a military helicopter. I can’t be certain but I would say it is most likely a Blackhawk or Scout. Those are a very
common site around the Pike’s Peak region. This one, did not make it to where it was going.

Typical of my ways, I was nowhere near a road and the steep terrain would explain why it has not been recovered. I spent a long time looking at this door and tried to find any more pieces of the
wreckage. All I could find was one odd, badly rusted can. It looked like a sardine can but about 5 times the size. I know a wreckage can throw debris in far and odd directions. I must of spent 3
hours looking for additional items but came up with nothing. Just ….. A Door!

But… If you are going to find just one item of a wreckage…. That door is a good one to find. As I look at the door, the name of the pilot stands out in bold letters…… LT Lang! Then looking closer, you
can even see the call sign of the aircraft….. “QuickSilver – 16”. That makes this a very identifiable wreckage. So I contacted the Fire Marshall at Fort Carson, figured he might be helpful. He
informed me that it was most likely a documented wreckage from about 10 years ago, no survivors. He told me that he would contact the Airfield and see if they wanted to recover the door. That’s
been a while ago but I guess it wasn’t an interest to them. I’ve had no other contact.

So somewhere on the Southern slopes of Pike’s Peak is a silent monument, left laying exactly how it was found. It reads simply, “LIEUTENANT LANG -– QUICKSILVER 16”.

I thank you Sir for your service ….. and sacrifice, Woody ~
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
EMac
post Jul 25 2017, 11:06 AM
Post #396

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 117,949

That is a sad find. Here's a toast...

--------------------
Lifetime Member
opera non verba

"All courses of action are risky, so prudence is not in avoiding danger (it's impossible), but calculating risk and acting decisively. Make mistakes of ambition and not mistakes of sloth. Develop the strength to do bold things, not the strength to suffer." ~Niccolò Machiavelli

Ref Code:

EM448

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Jul 25 2017, 11:14 AM
Post #397

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

Whoa... A somber find indeed. Good on ya for making a few calls and seeing what was up with it.

Not sure how I'd feel about it is I was family, but wonder if they'd want the piece as a memorial or if it would just stir up the saddness. Probably best left resting in place.

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
jhidek
post Aug 13 2017, 06:58 PM
Post #398

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 117,866

Long time no see Woody, glad to see you back online. I'll give you a buzz this week if you're gonna be available for a few

+Quote Post
Woody
post Aug 16 2017, 08:07 PM
Post #399

Rock Bar!

Hey jhidek,

Yeah I still make the circuit. I'm all over the map but shoot me a text when you can. Woody

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
lostnewb
post Aug 16 2017, 08:17 PM
Post #400

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 91,383

QUOTE (Woody @ Jul 11 2017, 09:42 AM) *
Thanks guys,

I have had some awesome luck these last few days especially with the Zircons. I now wish I had waited two weeks to make that video. My recent finds are far better than anything I had previously. I
am finding some awesome combos. The best are Goethite, Crystal combos but also with Zircons!. I'll post up some pics soon. Here is Something I found this weekend. It looks like a garnet, Feels like
a garnet, should be a garnet right? But I doubt it.

Since 1981 I have frequented this area that I am now in. In those days, a person could drive right next to my favorite dig spots. "Now days the hike is about 3 miles one way'. I say this only to
establish that I have been digging in this area for quite a while, and in all of that time, I have never seen so much as a fragment of a Garnet with in 50 miles of here. For that reason alone I doubt this
is a garnet. Also I found this in a hole that does not seem likely to producing garnets. The target in this hole is Geothite/crystal combos.

Much investigation work is needed, but here are a few pics. Enjoy, Woody.

That almost looks like some of the zincian spinel we have been finding.

--------------------
--Chris

01101100 01100101 01110100 01110011 00100000 01100111 01101111 00100000 01101101 01101001 01101110 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100001 00100001

+Quote Post
Woody
post Aug 23 2017, 07:50 AM
Post #401

Rock Bar!

Hello All,

I went up to the hills this last weekend with some family and set up camp where we’ll be staying for a couple of weeks during archery season. After all the work was finished, we headed over to
some of the lakes and did a little fishing. The Brookies were biting well and some measured over 18 inches long. Then we started catching a different Trout Species. One that is seldom seen. Can
anyone guess what this is? I’ll give you a hint…. It is a Hybrid! Hopefully I get back to this before I head out again and don’t leave everyone hanging for two weeks.

Also while we were there, my brother set up a trail cam to see what might be lurking around the camp at night. We did not see anything, “except Cows”, at night. But evidently a bear walked right
through camp in broad daylight. The time/date is not set correct but the best we can figure it must have been while we were away at one of the lakes. The pictures show the bear did not stick around
very long. One year not too long ago, we had a bear come into camp while we were out hunting. He tore things up a bit, but no lasting damages.

Should be another interesting hunt this year. Good luck to everyone, Woody.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Aug 23 2017, 06:45 PM
Post #402

Member No.: 6,983

Gotta love the "truth cam"! ohmy.gif
That's a Tiger Trout.... a sterile cross betwixt a Brown & Brookie. They can get really big and have only been stocked in select locations in Colorado in recent years. happy088.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Woody
post Sep 11 2017, 07:02 PM
Post #403

Rock Bar!

Your Correct Swizz,

I knew you would know this one. In recent years these guys have been introduced to several lakes on the Western Slope in hopes of controlling the massive population of minnows. Some of these lakes
have millions of minnows in them. I think the minnows are the Fatthead Minnow variety. Nice Brookies up to 20 inches have been in these lakes for a while, but they don't seem to bother the minnows
much. The Tigers are already making a noticeable impact on the Minnow population.... Didn't see as many this year as in years past. The Tigers aren't self-sustainable but there seems to be a good
population mix from smaller ,"10 Inches" to the larger ones, "18 inches". I think that reflects maybe 3 years worth of stocking. These Tigers get big... 20 plus pounds. So Tiger fishing will be an
interesting addition to our annual hunting adventures.

Also a frequent visitor this year was a Mink. The little guy was not afraid of much, come right up to you even if you was moving around. At one time it looked like another member of the Weasel family
was stalking our little Mink friend. It could of been a Weasel, Ermine, or Pine Martian... kind of hard to tell at a distance but it was sure interested in that little mink.

I enjoyed my hunting trip and was successful at getting a cow this year. I have included some Trail Cam footage, mostly from one Cam I set up on the Elk Carcass. Had some interesting visitors there
has well.

1st pic.... Small Tiger, 2nd pic.... Nice Brookie, 3rd Pic.... Our Mink friend
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Sep 11 2017, 07:09 PM
Post #404

Rock Bar!

Here is the link to that Trail Cam video, and also a pic of one of the bigger Tigers

https://youtu.be/NxJNKYyL1o8

Enjoy, Woody.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Sep 11 2017, 10:26 PM
Post #405

Member No.: 6,983

Incredible fish Woody, and that trail cam vid is.... WOW! ohmy.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post

31 Pages V  « < 25 26 27 28 29 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
19 User(s) are reading this topic (19 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:10 PM