ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Grizzly Gold Trap vs Gold Hog stream sluice
Evg
post Mar 8 2018, 04:06 PM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 142,334

Hi everybody.

I have a dilemma what sluice to get. Grizzly Gold Trap or Gold Hog (or any other stream sluice). What I like about Grizzly is that I can get away with not classifying dirt and just shovel into it. At the same time how often cleanouts should be done? Every 5-10-15 buckets? How good it's at catching fine gold? Is it easier or harder to setup compared to regular stream sluices? Is there stream sluice on the market with grizzly bars? Just want to know your opinion and personal preferences.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DiggingDad32
post Mar 8 2018, 04:45 PM
Post #2

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 124,742

QUOTE (Evg @ Mar 8 2018, 03:06 PM) *
Hi everybody.

I have a dilemma what sluice to get. Grizzly Gold Trap or Gold Hog (or any other stream sluice). What I like about Grizzly is that I can get away with not classifying dirt and just shovel into it. At the same time how often cleanouts should be done? Every 5-10-15 buckets? How good it's at catching fine gold? Is it easier or harder to setup compared to regular stream sluices? Is there stream sluice on the market with grizzly bars? Just want to know your opinion and personal preferences.

The Grizzly Gold Trap is awesome because you dont have to classify, but at the same point you need a decent flow for it to work properly. And yes, it will definitely catch the fine stuff. What you'll find, as many of us have, is there are different tools for different situations. If I could only choose one, I'd choose the GGT.

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Mar 8 2018, 05:54 PM
Post #3

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

I had a Bazooka, which the GGT is designed from. Liked it, but the improvements made to the GGT make it much better. But as DD mentioned above, you do need a spot with decent flow to set it up in. After that, you can shovel away for a couple hours between cleanouts.

I've test panned my tailings numerous times and rarely find a speck. Losses are insignificant, even with Colorado skeeter poop.

No perfect sluice for every situation, but if you're able to shovel straight out of the creek in to your sluice, or close enough to fill a bucket and feed it that way, it is my go to!

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Evg
post Mar 8 2018, 08:03 PM
Post #4

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (Crusty @ Mar 8 2018, 05:54 PM) *
I had a Bazooka, which the GGT is designed from. Liked it, but the improvements made to the GGT make it much better. But as DD mentioned above, you do need a spot with decent flow to set it up in. After that, you can shovel away for a couple hours between cleanouts.

I've test panned my tailings numerous times and rarely find a speck. Losses are insignificant, even with Colorado skeeter poop.

No perfect sluice for every situation, but if you're able to shovel straight out of the creek in to your sluice, or close enough to fill a bucket and feed it that way, it is my go to!

Well here few pictures of the creek on my claim

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
johnnybravo300
post Mar 9 2018, 08:52 AM
Post #5

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 120,659

You'd probably be more happy with an Angus or Le trap in that little creek. The gold trap sluices can be really finicky in small streams and aren't near as versatile or easy to use imo.

--------------------
Level 2 member -12/25/16
Referral code JL697

+Quote Post
Evg
post Mar 9 2018, 11:21 AM
Post #6

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (johnnybravo300 @ Mar 9 2018, 08:52 AM) *
You'd probably be more happy with an Angus or Le trap in that little creek. The gold trap sluices can be really finicky in small streams and aren't near as versatile or easy to use imo.

I looked at both and I just don't like them.

+Quote Post
DiggingDad32
post Mar 9 2018, 11:30 AM
Post #7

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 124,742

For lower flow situations, I absolutely love my Angus Mackirk. It catches the finest of the fines. I agree with johnny.

+Quote Post
johnnybravo300
post Mar 9 2018, 01:40 PM
Post #8

Rock Bar!

What are you looking for in a sluice? That might narrow it down. The two most important factors that I consider are ease of setup and clean out. I like something I can set down, put a rock on it and start shoveling, then clean it out with an easy rinse or two all while having faith that I'm catching the gold.

Gold trap sluices are easy to clean out but more work to set up especially in shallow or low pressure water. It doesn't help to shovel in unless you can be NEXT to the sluice. If you shovel from upstream the dirty water will flow into your sluice and clog your tubes with sediments in no time and you need fairly clean water. If you shovel from downstream you are rerunning your tailings.
Gold Hog sluices are old technology with riffle bars and miners moss and require disassembly to clean out and it's slow and heavy. No reason for that anymore imo.

I recommended le trap or Angus for their overall speed and ease of use. The one piece drop riffle designs are lightweight and effective and there's never much drama in setup. I don't even classify much except for clearing out the biggest stones with my hand, and they require much less water

Everyone has their faves but that's what I tend to go with these days.
I've tried out a few different styles of gold trap sluices in the last few years and when they shine they shine. I've also spent half an hour trying to set one up in small water and said a cussword or two haha. They work well in certain conditions.

The creek on my claim is about identical with yours and I'd say the drop riffle styles give you the most benefits for the money. Hope this helps.

Good luck to you!

--------------------
Level 2 member -12/25/16
Referral code JL697

+Quote Post
Evg
post Mar 9 2018, 03:01 PM
Post #9

Diggin' In!

Thanks. Well, I want easy setup and if possible eliminate classification in order to be able to move more dirt. Ideally just being able to feed shovel after shovel. From what you are saying I might go with Angus, Le Trap looks too bulky or maybe Angus and Grizzly, there couple spots on the creek where Grizzly will sit well.

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Mar 9 2018, 11:23 PM
Post #10

Master Mucker!

Any of the Angus sluices are your best bet for slow water. You can run them flat and slow and they'll catch gold all day long!

Looks like you've got slow and fast water, so you either need 2 tools or get one and focus on working the area you prioritize.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Evg
post Mar 10 2018, 01:53 AM
Post #11

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (Crusty @ Mar 9 2018, 11:23 PM) *
Any of the Angus sluices are your best bet for slow water. You can run them flat and slow and they'll catch gold all day long!

Looks like you've got slow and fast water, so you either need 2 tools or get one and focus on working the area you prioritize.

Thanks for your feedback and yep most likely I'll go with 2 sluices Angus and Grizzley. Thanks again for all of the feedback I really appreciate your help.

+Quote Post
johnnybravo300
post Mar 10 2018, 08:30 PM
Post #12

Rock Bar!

If it was me I'd get a big Angus and skip the gold trap for now. They are expensive and you probably won't need it. You can basically shovel into a big Angus with the drop riffles, just pull out the biggest rocks or classify to 1 inch. If your getting into GOOD GOLD BEARING CLAYS you will want to classify to break it up anyway.....like a cheese grater. You can also dig upstream from it and not clog up the tubes. That's another advantage of the le trap also, just it's size, and shoveling in is usually fine. With drop riffles the bigger rocks will roll right out and doesn't affect the trapped gold unlike raised riffles can when rocks get hung up.
The gold traps seem faster but you're just running low grade material by running everything. You'll also have more tailings to deal with in the creek instead of getting them out of the way.
You want the majority of your tailings out of your creek for future digging so your not running the same material over and over and that means out of the creek bed. In a small creek like that you should try to keep the "in creek" tailings to a minimum when you can.
Sometimes there isn't a better way and it just takes some time to do but any tailings you have to deal with takes time from the gold. Every digging situation is different and I'm no expert but that's what I've learned. Mucking your own tailings out of the way sucks haha. Sometimes unavoidable.
I've also been using a 6 ft-14# San Angelo bar for loosening up the creek bed. I'd count on your creek bed being hard packed for sure. It's a tool that has single handedly made my life much easier in the hard pack and it's an aggressive tool.
Looks like a beautiful creek!

--------------------
Level 2 member -12/25/16
Referral code JL697

+Quote Post
Evg
post Mar 11 2018, 02:23 PM
Post #13

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (johnnybravo300 @ Mar 10 2018, 09:30 PM) *
If it was me I'd get a big Angus and skip the gold trap for now. They are expensive and you probably won't need it. You can basically shovel into a big Angus with the drop riffles, just pull out the biggest rocks or classify to 1 inch. If your getting into GOOD GOLD BEARING CLAYS you will want to classify to break it up anyway.....like a cheese grater. You can also dig upstream from it and not clog up the tubes. That's another advantage of the le trap also, just it's size, and shoveling in is usually fine. With drop riffles the bigger rocks will roll right out and doesn't affect the trapped gold unlike raised riffles can when rocks get hung up.
The gold traps seem faster but you're just running low grade material by running everything. You'll also have more tailings to deal with in the creek instead of getting them out of the way.
You want the majority of your tailings out of your creek for future digging so your not running the same material over and over and that means out of the creek bed. In a small creek like that you should try to keep the "in creek" tailings to a minimum when you can.
Sometimes there isn't a better way and it just takes some time to do but any tailings you have to deal with takes time from the gold. Every digging situation is different and I'm no expert but that's what I've learned. Mucking your own tailings out of the way sucks haha. Sometimes unavoidable.
I've also been using a 6 ft-14# San Angelo bar for loosening up the creek bed. I'd count on your creek bed being hard packed for sure. It's a tool that has single handedly made my life much easier in the hard pack and it's an aggressive tool.
Looks like a beautiful creek!

Thanks for the tip with San Angelo bar. I didn't realise how many different Angus sluices there are and luck of the description on their website adds to confusion :)

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Mar 11 2018, 04:52 PM
Post #14

Master Mucker!

Most (all?) Angus sluices have cross bars, so you're not going to be able to shovel unclassified. First big rock that hangs up on them is gonna blow out the riffles above and below it.

--------------------

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Evg
post Mar 11 2018, 05:41 PM
Post #15

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (Crusty @ Mar 11 2018, 05:52 PM) *
Most (all?) Angus sluices have cross bars, so you're not going to be able to shovel unclassified. First big rock that hangs up on them is gonna blow out the riffles above and below it.

I figured that with Angus I'll have to do some classification. On another hand, I have gold cube with the trommel when the flow is low I can set it right in the creek or next to it and then I don't need sluice box, main reason for the sluice is that my wife and kid can play around while I'm using cube.

Btw what the name of the sluice you posted picture above? I don't see any Angus sluice with such riffles

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:16 PM