ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Petrified Wood - Utah Vacation
Hawkewind
post Dec 3 2009, 07:25 PM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,069

Hello,

I got the rockhounding bug in the past 6 months, being very new to this hobby. I enjoyed rock collecting, on my own, at a very young age and remember one very specific instance that endeared me to rock/fossil collecting forever.....albeit latent in bubbling to the surface (late 30s now).

I was about 8 years old and found a huge (I would guess 2' long and 1' thick) full dinosaur print in a rock that I managed to loosen from the adjoining rock after a week. I showed everyone kid in my neighborhood and was extremely proud of the find and the attention it brought me, even the older kids. Well one day, later that same summer, I told my father about it who didn't believe in the magnificance of my find. I was determined to bring this 3-toed behemoth home to show my dad (I suspect now it was in shale). I carried this HUGE (I was only 8) footprint over a mile home in the middle of a hot summer day. About 80% of the way home, after many breaks and over 1 hour of total time, I dropped it directly onto the surface of a side road....it shattered. I did not cry. But I stared long and hard at what happened and thought deeply. My conclusion? I should have left it for all to see.....or got my dad to help me. Next time I had a find (never as grand), I got my dad.

My favorite past-time is archaeology and I take classes in my spare time at CU. I LOVE history and I LOVE cultures. And you know what, I LOVE geology....just took me longer to realize it. I have traveled the world and even spent a year in college in Australia (I got some raw boulder opal and a some black and green opal while there)....everywhere I went, my number one reminder of the adventure was rocks or gems I brought back in my pockets. In the last 10 years, along with my once a year larger adventure abroad, I go on Jeep trips with my buddies for extended times. We have gone to remote areas of Colorado, Utah and New Mexico, not seeing a sole in days off-roading. Agaian, my number one reminder of these great times away was...rocks.

Well here I am today. I have a brand new Wrangler Rubicon (that I know how to drive off-road well), live in the extrodinary state of Colorado, have experienced adventure all my life and hunger for rockhounding. Seems to me I found my "mistress", one my wife tolerates and even shares with me from time to time (Freud would be proud with that analogy).

Why all the jibber-jabber? I look forward to sharing and learning from others here. I have always found that a personal connection goes a long ways in life....

Without further ado, here is my recent trip (with my wife) to Utah....petrified wood found near Hanksville and agate at Yellow Cat;

The Jeep;

After 13 miles of following a (mostly) dry creek bed in the Wrangler....I found a field of petrified wood. Notice the stumps (whitish) and how it erodes into the gullies (easy to spot eh?);

After exploring a mile, as my wife slept in the Wrangler, I found this (I didn't take any, just too beautiful to disturb);

Pictures of the wood I found in the area;

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hawkewind
post Dec 3 2009, 07:27 PM
Post #2

Diggin' In!

cont.

Notice the multi-colored bark on this one;

Found this piece in the ceiling of a mine ceiling (just inside a tiny bit, NEVER go into an unknown and/or private mine, BLM employee helped us on this one);

+Quote Post
Hawkewind
post Dec 3 2009, 07:28 PM
Post #3

Diggin' In!

cont.

The ceiling.......it had crumbling charcoal all around the outside of the petrified wood and the wood itself was delicate and black);

Another one from this area....notice the green banding which is uranium staining (so the BLM employee said);

Finally, here are pictographs we found;

Here is jasper from Yellow Cat...we only had 2 hours, per my wife, on the way home.....but she enjoed this a lot....we dug up a 100lb piece that is in the yard!;

+Quote Post
Denise
post Dec 4 2009, 06:51 AM
Post #4

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Hi Hawkewind, and welcome to the CP forums! smileywaving.gif

Great trip report! Love that petrified wood its one of my favorites, and it looks like you found a sweet spot for some!

Here is a chart showing what causes the colors in petrified wood.....
Red - Iron (ferric)
Orange - Iron (ferric)
Yellow - Iron (ferric), Uranium
Green - Iron (ferric), Copper, Cobalt, Chorminum, Uranium, Nickle
Blue - Copper, Manganese, Cobalt, Chromium
Violet - Manganese, Iron (ferric)
Purple - Manganese, Iron (ferric)
Brown - Iron (ferric), Uranium
Black - Manganese, Carbon, Iron (ferric)
Grey - Silicon Dioxide
White - Silicon Dioxide

Fantastic petroglyphs!!!!! smiley-shocked003.gif Seeing those for me would have made the whole trip!! happy088.gif

Thanks for the trip report!

Denise
smile.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
jim
post Dec 4 2009, 07:19 AM
Post #5

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 994

WOW! Very cool indeed! That jasper reminds me of imperial jasper. Unreal.

+Quote Post
Hawkewind
post Dec 4 2009, 08:09 AM
Post #6

Diggin' In!

Hello,

Thanks for the comments. We found a lot more pictographs (painted) and petroglyphs (chiseled)...slews of them and some 6' tall! I also have a lot more jasper like the smaller pieces here, one is about 100 lbs we dug up, that is under snow in the rock part of the yard. Will post more when I can if you like them (just learned how to use my SRL camera up close last night when I posted these). Finally, got a 100 lb+ piece of petrified wood in my yard also, like these smaller pieces......that makes my friend's young kids "oohhhhh" and "ahhhh"

Did you notice the toes on the one animal? They say these were created around 1 AD by the Archaic people (pre-cursors to the Chaco/Anasazi)

+Quote Post
Hawkewind
post Dec 4 2009, 03:54 PM
Post #7

Diggin' In!

Here is a larger picture of the whole rock panel of pictographs;

+Quote Post
Denise
post Dec 5 2009, 07:38 AM
Post #8

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

What a fantastic thing to stumble upon! smiley-shocked003.gif happy088.gif
Thats definately a trip to remember! Thanks for sharing the pictures Hawkewind.

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Dec 12 2009, 12:41 AM
Post #9

Master Mucker

Member No.: 98

The BLM rep is right. In a lot of places petrified trees were host to a number of radioactive secondary minerals.
Going from memory (which sucks as it is and I could be wrong) I think I already spotted gummite, carnotite and montrosite (meta-montrosite?).

--------------------
Today's socio-political climate is rock solid proof that Adam and Eve weren't prospectors.
If they were they'd have eaten the snake instead of the apple and we'd still be in heaven....

+Quote Post
russau
post Dec 12 2009, 06:19 AM
Post #10

russau

Member No.: 43

wow!

+Quote Post
Hawkewind
post Dec 12 2009, 09:48 AM
Post #11

Diggin' In!

Hello,

here are some other pics inside the mine of the walls;

+Quote Post
ASTROBLEME
post Dec 12 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #12

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 6,813

Dear Hawkewind:

Those photos of the mine walls are fantastic!

Thanks for posting the pictures.

ASTROBLEME

--------------------
Annual Dues Paying Member Since 2008

Tonko Mining Company

"Some day this crater is going to be a greatly talked about place, and if the above credit is due, as is certainly the case, I would like to have it generally known for the sake of the children." Daniel Moreau Barringer 2/1/1912 in a letter about the Barringer Meteorite Crater, Arizona USA

+Quote Post
nm jack
post Dec 14 2009, 11:13 AM
Post #13

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 3,582

smileywaving.gif Great pics and very good read too. Thanks for info.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:28 AM