ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Small Scale Mining, truth vs myth
Denise
post Oct 31 2010, 08:40 AM
Post #31

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

We will always continue on with educating people about their rights to work/enjoy our land. There is no way around needing to know land status when you are out there. Even if you are just wanting to go to the back country to hike, fish, hunt, camp, etc.....

In time attitudes change that you spoke of Swizz when given the proper information to work with and the realizations of what hard work it really is. Nothing more satisfying than being able to say you understand and have the knowledge about researching land status and get out there doing it. smile.gif

Recreational Miner? huh.gif This is another term I see used alot all over the net. Bad words to put together in my eyes. All I see this combination of words doing is confusing people. Recreational prospector maybe but one knows that as a recreational prospector, we have no mining rights. Right or wrong? In my eyes as a bona fide prospector/miner we have the right to extract our minerals according to the 1872 mining law. Right or wrong?

Discussions and laws on this is how we all learn and understand about these terms and topics together.

Denise

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
russau
post Nov 1 2010, 04:44 AM
Post #32

russau

Group: Members
Member No.: 43

Denise your right! id like to see what a person that claims tobe a "recreational" anything do if/when they would find a vein of gold! i wonder who long they would keep using that "word"??? regardless of wiether or not youll quit your day job, when your prospecting or actively mining, your a small scale prospector or miner. the word they use "recreational" will only give the "opposition" leverage against all of us to help them stop our mining rights! some people just cant get it into their heads ! even our gubermint wants to always throw that word into whatever they write when refering to our mining rights! there is a reason for them doing so!!!

+Quote Post
CP
post Nov 15 2010, 09:21 AM
Post #33

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 3

Yepper Russ I agree, Denise is right on both questions.

Recreation is not a right but the government would like us all to think that recreation is a "resource" which it's not either.

CP

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
CP
post Feb 18 2011, 11:31 AM
Post #34

Master Mucker!

QUOTE (swizz @ Oct 25 2010, 10:54 AM) *
(here's two more cents)
This is what gets my goat also. Clubs spoon-feeding people claims. A fine display of how we have become a lazy self-centered culture that demands instant gratification with little or no work involved, we'd rather pay someone else to do our homework and paperwork. "I don't need to know how it works bub, here's some cash... hand it over, I'll figure it out later if I have time.. I'll sign whatever, let's get rolling"
Granted - this club offers areas, not private claims but real BLM and FS land areas which have been researched and "homework" has been done by club staff. That's where the similarities END. Club members still have to do a little homework prior to visiting each of these areas, as they are public lands and constantly subject to land status or regulatory change at the drop of a hat. Each location provides a clerk/recorder contact info so that club members can AND DO legally check the status through the proper channels... ALL BY THEMSELVES! As basic as this sounds, I find this to be an integral step in the learning process of becoming a small scale miner or well educated recreational miner. One step leads to another and this club provides some great "do-it-yourself" avenues. Many dedicated members here who really take the time to learn and share regarding the legal and technical nuances of proper mining.

I'm surprised that big-box claim clubs don't get complaints from people who want their gold giftwrapped when they get to there.
Hey, someone has to cater to the ignorant greedy masses. I'm actually glad that those private club claims exist and keep the goobers occupied... away from the real mineral locations, devoid of learning how to legally find minerals on their own, incapable of filing their own simple location claims, unable, uneducated, or just too plain lazy to make legal locatable discoveries away from their club baby pens.
No doubt those clubs have some fine and knowledgeable individuals on their rosters and memberships, but the general demographic is as I just described it... and I was being polite.
I thank the big-box clubs for providing sanctuaries where that species of miner can be isolated. KUDOS! arms.gif
Remember: education is the real treasure wink.gif

Thank you Swizz and great job on taking charge of your own knowledge to further your mining adventures! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
This thread has some awesome information for everyone to use.
Dig in ya'll, it's your right! Do you know how to act on it and why?

CP

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator

+Quote Post
placer
post Jan 15 2012, 05:30 AM
Post #35

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 38,139

I will be a recreational prospector, at least for awhile. I would really like to find a space on water west of the Denver area or in the durango area that I can file a claim on. I have been researching mining claims for sale, but I havent found one to my liking. I am ready to make my trip to CO already, but I will have to wait until yall thaw since we are in the dead of winter. Good digging to everyone.

+Quote Post
Denise
post Feb 14 2012, 09:08 AM
Post #36

Master Mucker!

smileywaving.gif Hi placer! I would recommend looking into areas here in Colorado that interest you. From there you can research to see if the areas of interest are open to prospecting. Good luck in all your research.

The weather has been fantastic here!
cool.gif

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
CP
post Apr 8 2012, 11:27 AM
Post #37

Master Mucker!

As a recreational level prospector one probably shouldn't be concerned with claim filing or buying as "recreation" does not fall into any mining activity or a valid reason to hold/buy a mining claim.

In general as a recreational level prospector folks should always remember that they are still responsible for thier own actions in the field. That is normally what most of us wish to do is be responsible and finding the correct info to do that is a big part of the battle/learning curve.

Here's an example that many folks may easily relate too.......... Our own "Free Panning and Sluicing areas" has a large open space tract of land (park) in Jefferson county listed. Everyone knows this an area where Jefferson county (private owners) allow prospecting within their open space park/rules.
Now this would also apply to any city, town, or county agency where one might wish to pan for gold in a park ........ Simply pull up the county, city or town's website to find their parks dept. Within that page you'll easily find both thier park rules and contact info should you feel the need to call and ask if panning isn't specified as allowed.

Always remember though.....county, city, or town parks (including open space parks) are PRIVATE PROPERTY. You have no "right" to recreate or pan there but you can ask permission.

Also of note to the general public.........It's against any park/open space rules (illegal) for anyone to operate a commercial venture selling goods or services on parks property without prior special use approval/permiting through the parks individual boards/depts.

Good luck out there prospecting everyone, hope this info helps you easily find some cool panning spots anytime!

CP

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator

+Quote Post
Denise
post Jul 18 2013, 07:49 AM
Post #38

Master Mucker!

This is a great thread with some very important information! Hopefully those reading will benefit and be more successful in their prospecting adventures!

Dig in everyone!
emoticon-misc-004.gif

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
CP
post Feb 25 2014, 08:25 AM
Post #39

Master Mucker!

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Over 2,000 downloads off the mining claim lease, hope it's helping folks in the field!
Post up with any questions.

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator

+Quote Post
detectornerd
post Mar 3 2014, 04:34 PM
Post #40

Observer

Member No.: 116,899

Hi, first time poster here, love all the great info and insight I'm picking up on these forums…thanks! I recently acquired a large, previously abandoned mine within view of Silver Mountain, about 10 miles south of Telluride, CO. I have a few concerns that I would appreciate ANY advice on: 1) I've heard that there are certain equipment size limitations that fall within the casual use scenario (btw…is casual use and small scale miner the same thing??). It'll be just me and a friend or two putting around, specifically, is there a horsepower limit on gas powered motors for rock crushers? Heard it was like 7 h.p., true? Or if I can carry it then it's legal? 2) There is currently no gate on the mine entrance, can I put something up or do I need any special BLM permission? How would they ever know if I put it there or the previous owner? The mine hasn't been worked since the 60's. 3) I was told that I should make BLM aware that I will be casually working the site, but I am afraid to advertise my presence lest they start harassing me, especially since there was a SF site/grey area within a mile below me. I know I have the right to be there, I guess I'm just trying to avoid becoming obvious. The site is not accessible by any roads or trails…hike up only, but tailings are visible from highway and across valley. 4) There is some light water in the mine, can I pump that out and reuse for my high banker, or will they be all over me for that if they find out? I imagine they wouldn't like me to pump out the mine and let it run down the mountainside nowadays, right?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Detectornerd

+Quote Post
russau
post Mar 4 2014, 05:55 AM
Post #41

russau

I cant answer all the questions accuratly but the water issue needs more detail. depending on what chemicalls and percentages of chemicalls are in or NOT in the water kinda determines where to go from here! if no harsh chemicalls were in the water. to highbank with this water ,it must go to a setteling basin and be allowed to slowly drain back to the stream,so not to drain and water with any trubidity back into and cloud up the water.i think this is a common ruleing or use for all of the Country.

+Quote Post
detectornerd
post Mar 4 2014, 03:48 PM
Post #42

Observer

Member No.: 116,899

QUOTE (russau @ Mar 4 2014, 05:55 AM) *
I cant answer all the questions accuratly but the water issue needs more detail. depending on what chemicalls and percentages of chemicalls are in or NOT in the water kinda determines where to go from here! if no harsh chemicalls were in the water. to highbank with this water ,it must go to a setteling basin and be allowed to slowly drain back to the stream,so not to drain and water with any trubidity back into and cloud up the water.i think this is a common ruleing or use for all of the Country.

Thanks Russau, well I was thinking about pumping it out and through my sluice as there is some runoff from the mine that has pooled a bit, so it's already sitting there you know? There are no streams within about a mile or more at the bottom of the mountain, so the water just runs down the mountain anyway as it is, I would just like to make use of the water of course. It would be smarter to just recirculate the water in tubs and dump occasionally I guess.

Thanks for any advice.

+Quote Post
CP
post Mar 6 2014, 11:53 AM
Post #43

Master Mucker!

Hi detectornerd, welcome to the Colorado Prospector forums. sign0016.gif
Thanks for the kind compliments on the site too, make yourself right at home.

There are a couple things I would suggest......
One is to join the club here. I think you could greatly benefit from club membership in the future concerning your new "ownership" of a mine. (patented I'm assuming)
Without understanding your postition (rights) as an owner you could get led astray very easily. I only mention it this way because of your course of questions to begin with, you've mixed up what are recreational rules for only specific areas already, these will not apply to you as a mine owner.

Russ is correct about highbanking run off for a normal situation where water used is assumed clean on intake.
This may not be the case with your mine water.....So my second piece of advice would be to not touch or do anything with any water or soils left at the site until you have them tested. Water tests are not all that pricey to have done.
But understand this, as a new owner of that mine, if there are any contaminates in the water or soil and you start to do "something" with the stuff (even just moving it), you've now accepted the responsibility for it!
You mentioned that as a concern, you don't want them to come down on you for it, so you should CYOA as the old saying goes. Have it tested first before you do anything.
My 2c.gif thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Best of luck with the new mine ownership and if you're interested in club membership with the Colorado Prospector club just click on the link for the details on sign up. We'd all be honored to have your future patricipation.

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator

+Quote Post
russau
post Mar 7 2014, 06:26 AM
Post #44

russau

Dan thats what i was meaning. about water samples, would a person take a sample of the water right off the top of the surface or lower maybe towards the bottom? my reason for asking is that the chemicals would probly be heavier than the pure water and be down lower. if a person would take a sample from the top surface, and then started pumping it out and then the chemicals started showing up.........see where im going with this?

+Quote Post
fenixsmom
post Mar 7 2014, 11:09 AM
Post #45

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 116,305

Id like to add to that question, would you take a core soil sample to test for heavy metals as well?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
6 User(s) are reading this topic (6 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:42 PM