ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

31 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
My last outing, A Weekly posting
Woody
post Dec 22 2012, 11:36 PM
Post #231

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,615

I had to get out today and take advantage of this nice December weather we are having. It was chilly to start with but soon warmed up to freezing. I actually started out trying to do a little small game hunting but seen no birds or rabbits so that didn’t pan out. On the way back to the truck I saw a spot that looked like it would produce some Septarian Nodules. I just had to check it out and am glad I did.

Here is a video about Colorado Septarian Nodules. Happy Holidays Everyone, Woody.

http://youtu.be/tbrVE3Xel2Q

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member
(currently working hard in the procurement department)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
swizz
post Dec 23 2012, 07:27 AM
Post #232

Member No.: 6,983

Great vid Woody. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Not sure about others but that was really educational for me!

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Denise
post Dec 23 2012, 09:09 AM
Post #233

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Sweet finds Woody! They should glow under a UV light. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Some of those are pretty big, are you planning on cutting a few open or keeping them whole for show? Great picture of Aspen on the big one! happy088.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Dec 23 2012, 10:18 AM
Post #234

QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Dec 23 2012, 08:09 AM) *
Great picture of Aspen on the big one! happy088.gif

That's a nodule too?
I thought Woody was giving Aspen too much fiber.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Denise
post Dec 26 2012, 08:51 AM
Post #235

Master Mucker!

laugh.gif Chris........ Aspen is really fun to watch in the videos. She seems to get almost as excited as you do Woody to see what has been pulled out. biggrin.gif

Hope you had a great Christmas and are staying warm.

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Feb 9 2013, 07:30 PM
Post #236

Rock Bar!

Deviated from the norm a little bit and spent the day playing with the new detector.

After a long awaited “saving” period I finally got another detector last week. I did a lot of looking around and decided that the AT Pro was the correct choice for me. I have owned two previously so I pretty much knew what I was looking for. But of course you never know what you got till you take it out in the field and put it to the test. I must say that I was impressed from the start. This detector has great depth capabilities and it finds small stuff that my older ones just couldn’t. It doesn’t pin-point as well as one I had in the past. I have to dig bigger plugs and spend more time searching for the item than what I was used to but hopefully that will improve with time.

This detector is mainly for coins, jewelry, and relics. It will find gold but the better gold detectors operate on a different frequency. It has been my experience that if you try to use a gold detector to find coins you dig mostly trash. A good coin detector is better suited to sort out the junk. It can even indicate what the coin type is before you dig it; new penny, old penny, nickel, dime, quarter ect.. ect… unfortunately there is still a lot of trashy items that fall into theses same categories. Pull tabs and bottle caps are the arch enemy of the metal detector and lots of people get discouraged because of how many they dig. However, they register in the same range as nickels and jewelry so if you are finding tabs & caps you are actually doing it right.

Last weekend I found a 1941 wheat back penny and a 1940 Colorado License plate. There is a vacant field behind my house and it used to be a small farm. “I even boarded three horses there myself at one time”. The house was built in 1914. It stood tall and proud for a long time but a few years ago they bulldozed it all down and sold the land to a developer. They are going to hack it in pieces and put houses on it as soon as the economy gets better. So that field will be my honey-hole until they do. This weekend however, I went to the city park and spent most of the day digging in the still frozen ground. Did not find anything old but still got some cool finds. The best was $1.05 in clad, a silver necklace, and a ring that really had me going there for a minute. Coming out of the ground it looked 100% gold but after I looked at it I could tell it was only plated. The inscription reads, “18K elect pltd”. Still a cool ring and the stones look shinny, probably real garnets. Have a good one, woody.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Feb 11 2013, 10:39 AM
Post #237

Wow... really cool finds Woody!

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Denise
post Feb 15 2013, 09:39 PM
Post #238

Master Mucker!

Nice finds Woody! I really like the "Hello Kitty" character necklace. biggrin.gif

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Apr 10 2013, 07:07 PM
Post #239

Rock Bar!

I haven't posted up much as of latley because it is mostly a wash, rinse, and repeat cycle of what I did exactly this time last year. Don't want to sound like a broken record and keep repeating myself. I never knew I was so perdictable until I started looking at my previous posts.

Anywhay this weekend I did do something new, I was finally able to get that boat out on the lake and try out the new motor. This was only the 3rd time I've had it out. I've spent all winter trying to get a rebuilt motor put in it. The weather was very warm this Saturday so I grabbed all my gear, "including the dog", and spent the night on the lake. Worked great. We caught a lot of stocker sized fish, nothing to bragg about, but this time of year I'll take it. Can't wait till the weather really warms up and the fishing gets better.

Here is a picture of Aspen. She liked riding on the engine cover. Easy for her to see all around. Have a good one, Woody.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Apr 20 2013, 11:28 PM
Post #240

Rock Bar!

In spite of the recent snow fall I had to get out and take a walk in the hills. I figured the ground would be covered but I could use the time to relocate some tools for future endeavors. As I left the truck the ground was pretty much covered by snow but there was an occasional bare spot. So I chose to pick my way along hitting as many of these bare spots as I could. There wasn’t much open ground but I was rewarded nicely by some awesome surface finds. I didn’t have to dig an inch. These obviously slid down from higher and I will have to do some more scouting around once the ground clears.

I ended up going back to the spider pocket and spent about 4 hours digging some more in that hole. Found some nice Microcline and smokie combos in there as well. I got to say, for it being a snow-day I did alright. Have a good one, Woody.

Here is a few pictures of my surface finds.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Apr 20 2013, 11:32 PM
Post #241

Rock Bar!

Here is a nice combo from the spider pocket.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Caveman
post Apr 25 2013, 05:11 PM
Post #242

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 41,357

Wow!

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
World Traveler, 7 Continent Walker
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER
Referral Code: SE2104

+Quote Post
Caveman
post Apr 25 2013, 05:11 PM
Post #243

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 41,357

Very nice, Woody! I wish I could find something like that on the property. So far, all I have found are some degraded white quartz chrystals, and some -50 gold. (with Andrew's help). Can't wait to really prospect it this summer.

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
World Traveler, 7 Continent Walker
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER
Referral Code: SE2104

+Quote Post
Woody
post Apr 30 2013, 07:51 PM
Post #244

Rock Bar!

Saturday was a rare warm sunny day and thankfully so. I had met up with another member and we headed up to that Spider pocket. I removed a fair amount of material the weekend before and left a section untouched to welcome my visitor. This pocket still has much to offer and it did not disappoint. Riley pulled an excellent crystal plate out with little to no damage. One of the best I have ever seen. As Riley worked that pocket it freed me up to do a little prospecting in the immediate vicinity. I found some chips of quartz that had the tell-tell signs of crystal formation on them and followed them up hill to the source. All I had to do was zig-zag up the hill and stay in the quartz debris and it led me to a mound that had some crystals showing right on the surface. At first I thought it was going to be a real great find but the crystals did not hold together very well the further down you dug. Right under the surface the crystal bearing material transferred into decomposing quartz host rock and you could break apart the material by hand. Still there was a few nice pieces, one crystal was about the size of a Nerf Football. I'm glad for Riley, he got something nice for his efforts and got to see a little of what Colorado has to offer.

The first picture is the Smokie Crystal Plate Riley pulled out. Hope he gets a chance to show it off once it is cleaned up. The second pic is what was showing on the surface of that mound I dug into.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Apr 30 2013, 08:12 PM
Post #245

That is an awesome Smokey combo in the first pic, excellent specimen. What is the material on the right in the second pic? Very interesting looking.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post

31 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
26 User(s) are reading this topic (26 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:42 PM