ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

31 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
My last outing, A Weekly posting
swizz
post Apr 2 2012, 06:53 AM
Post #186

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,983

Woody, that is AWESOME (not the ribs part)!
That's an incredible specimen and I agree that cleaning it up rather than extracting is best for that piece... it is excellent, I haven't seen a cluster like that.
I feel for ya on the ribs. During my skiing career I had many odd injuries... broke nose twice, split chin, two thumb separations, both wrists, etc. By far my most memorable, painful, and recurring injury was two fractured ribs which I will never forget. Keep your ribs wrapped tight (I used a neoprene rib brace with velcro) and don't sneeze, yawn, or cough for while. OUCH!
I feel for ya buddy, nurse those ribs... they can take a long time to heal. Watch yourself after they heal also, my injury partially recurred years later when I aggravated the same ribs while just leaning over the edge of a stone parapet wall on a building. Not as bad, but it still hurt again for a coupe of weeks.
Stay away from slow horses and fast boats? haha
Coincidentally, I also was fishing and fossil hunting yesterday and did well on both counts! Not as exciting as your find or adventure but I will add some pics to my Leaf Fossil thread later today.
Take care of those ribs, we'll be mining together again here soon I think.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Denise
post Apr 4 2012, 08:17 AM
Post #187

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Awesome finds Woody! Most people didn't even know they could find shark teeth here in Colorado. signs021.gif

I really like the last pic you posted. That clump filled with teeth is awesome!! I would just clean that one up a bit and leave as is.
Great finds and thanks for sharing your trip adventures with us.
greensmilies-012.gif Love em'!

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Apr 7 2012, 08:07 PM
Post #188

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 15,615

QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Apr 4 2012, 09:17 AM) *
Awesome finds Woody! Most people didn't even know they could find shark teeth here in Colorado. signs021.gif

I really like the last pic you posted. That clump filled with teeth is awesome!! I would just clean that one up a bit and leave as is.
Great finds and thanks for sharing your trip adventures with us.
greensmilies-012.gif Love em'!

Thanks,

All those pics are of the same rock. I had intended to take it all apart and see how many I could get out of it. Once I reached this point I had to stop. I agree it looks just fine that way it is. Also most of the teeth I did extract broke in the process. So I did not want to risk it any more. later~

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member
(currently working hard in the procurement department)

+Quote Post
Denise
post Apr 22 2012, 09:22 AM
Post #189

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

I hope your ribs are healing up nicely!! I miss reading your digging updates. sad.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Apr 22 2012, 09:38 AM
Post #190

QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Apr 22 2012, 09:22 AM) *
I miss reading your digging updates. sad.gif

Me too... you better not be just sitting on the couch and eating bon-bons Woody.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
russau
post Apr 23 2012, 07:09 AM
Post #191

russau

Member No.: 43

in Manhatten KS. theres a fossilized shark in the rock bank that got washed out after some flooding years back.

+Quote Post
Woody
post Apr 25 2012, 08:48 AM
Post #192

Rock Bar!

Thanks guys,

I’m excited about getting out this weekend. I’ve been cooped-up way too long. Russau you mentioned they found some shark fossil out by Manhatten, KS. I’ve actually done a bit of poking around in that area myself. I used to walk the Kansas, Republic, and Blue Rivers looking for fossils. Mostly found old Buffalo bones. I spent many a night fishing Milford and Tuttle Creek as well.

The first pic is a Buffalo Vertabra. Very old but not quite a fossil. The second pic is fossilized and I can only guess what land creature it might have belonged to. The third pic is...... well now I'm just bragging lol.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Apr 25 2012, 09:37 AM
Post #193

I think that Cat is older than those bones, holy cow!

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Woody
post May 13 2012, 10:57 PM
Post #194

Rock Bar!

Hi All,

Been awhile since I was able to get out and do much. I can't belive I haven't been out and about for over a month. I'm starting to feel like a City Slicker. This weekend I was suspossed to head up north and do alittle digging in the dirt at the claims but the forcast was not looking favorable. Turns out it wasn't too bad up there after all. But I made my choice and on Sunday I went south to do a little fishing.

Can you say, "Nice Crappie"!
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
swizz
post May 13 2012, 11:01 PM
Post #195

Nice "paper-mouth"!
Glad you had a Crappie day!! tongue.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Woody
post May 13 2012, 11:02 PM
Post #196

Rock Bar!

Here is my hand for compairison. The smallest was just under 13 inches. None made it to the 15 inch mark. Fishing on Mothers Day is allways exciting.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
swizz
post May 13 2012, 11:04 PM
Post #197

smiley-shocked003.gif
Those are honkers... I say you need a couple on the wall.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
russau
post May 14 2012, 10:52 AM
Post #198

russau

Member No.: 43

or in the frying pan!

+Quote Post
Woody
post May 23 2012, 07:41 AM
Post #199

Rock Bar!

I went fishing this last weekend with my family at Pueblo Reservoir. I must say the fish did not let us down. Don’t recall the total number of fish caught but we were mainly after Crappie and the limit is 20 apiece, and we returned many back to the water. We also caught lots of Bass and some Walleye but not many would measure up. Spent that night on the bank hoping to catch a Catfish or two but none showed up, only a few small Walleye. Had a great time with family and am headed over to Blue Mesa next weekend to hopefully do the same over there.

If anybody was waiting for the right time of year to take their kids fishing, “or go themselves”, this is it. But you will want to hurry as the temps and Mosquitoes are only going to get worse. As a rule of thumb after Memorial Day, I head to the high country.

First pic is of Aspen wanting to know if I was going to answer that bell.

The next two is Steve working two rods at once on a rare double hook-up and these two Crappie show the average size of what we were catching.

Remembering all who have paid the ultimate sacrifice so that we may live in freedom… Happy Memorial Day, Woody.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Woody
post May 29 2012, 10:59 PM
Post #200

Rock Bar!

Memorial Day weekend has kind of been an unofficial family reunion for the past several years now. We seem to gather at Blue Mesa and spend long hours fishing, visiting, and hanging around the campfire. This Memorial Day we had 15 family members which I believe was the biggest to date. We had a great time even though the fishing was slow and the wind was fast. A couple of neat things happened worthy of mention;

My middle brother, “Eddie”, caught a Yellow Perch that was 13 inches plus. For those of you in the know that’s a heck of a fish, worthy of a Master Angler Award.

The Kids were playing one evening and they rolled a large log of driftwood crossed the small creek where we were camping. The sand was very wet and muddy because the lake had gone down quite a bit recently and tracks were easy to see. I got up before the sun and walked over to the lake and discovered that a Bear had walked a crossed the log they put down. I couldn’t wait to wake them up to show them the tracks and tell them they had built a Bear Bridge.

Whenever I am out camping I have to go hiking around in the hills. My dad and one of my sisters accompanied me and we headed out for a look around. We were just about to turn around and head back when I started to find some interesting pieces of rock. At first I thought it was just a small piece of druzzy quarts from a seam. Then I started to find more and the pieces started to have bubbles on them. I quickly realized that what I was finding was Common Opal. This excited me greatly. I have never found Opal in Colorado except in Petrified Wood but this was not from anything like that. It was a layer or seam that rested on top of a piece of common Rhyolite rock. I gathered everybody around and explained to them what was happening here and up the hill we went, looking for the source. The higher up the hill we went the bigger and more abundant the Opal became. My sister was the first to find a large host outcropping. The coloring was wonderful. Just about every color you could think of except very little blues and no greens. One of the first bigger pieces found was kind of blue and for a while there I was thinking it might be Lapis but now I am sure it was just a bluish piece of Opal. I worked my way above that and found many more seams. I did not find any more host outcroppings but am sure there must be more judging from the amount of material found.
We carried some good specimens back with us and the next day we went back for some more. I am fascinated by the Strawberry, Cream colored pieces. I can’t wait to see what these would look like when cut and polished.

More pics will follow of some of my favorite pieces but for now here is a few I took this weekend. First is the Bear Bridge, Next is a piece of Bubbly Opal I removed from a seam, and the last is a small shot of the outcropping. Take care, Woody.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post

31 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 10:11 PM