ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Downed Navy Pilot WWII Gold Barter Pack-Atlantic, Standard GI for Atlantic Theatre
gold_tutor
post Jul 1 2004, 07:44 AM
Post #1

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 25

Incredible piece of WWII Naval History--Atlantic theatre (read Europe missions).

Each Naval Pilot was issued one of these heavy rubber waterproof packs prior to flying assigned missions over enemy territory in the Atlantic theatre.

The Pacific Rim rubber pack did not contain near as much gold as the Atlantic pack did.

In this particular one were two watches with the following writing on the faces of each:

MILUS
Instant Date

21 Jewels
Milushock
M. 40 A1

Swiss Made

The gold coins from left to right:
British Gold Sovereign
British Gold ½ Sovereign
unknown european fractional gold
gold Swiss franc,
gold French rooster.

The round pendant inscribed with a “P” and has a bail for wearing on a chain is 24K pure

The four heavy gold links are also 24K pure and weigh within 1/100 of a gram of gold each.
Soft enough to twist apart and separate the links they could be used as individual bribes if needed.

The 3 large rings at the bottom are 9ct gold and very large for fitting over a man’s knuckles.

Extremely hard to cut open, the contents were not tampered with in these, which now resides in a retired navy pilot’s personal collection.

Each pilot was instructed to turn these in upon safe return back to base after a mission. This and some others were found in a small horde in a garage sale in Michigan. Also accompanying these
eKits were the government destruction procedure papers for melting and recovering the gold.

These were never intended to ever see the light of day nor fall into the hands of civilians.

An example of the incredible stuff available to citified prospectors like I teach others how to be....
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ford PU
post Oct 12 2008, 09:55 AM
Post #2

Observer

Member No.: 6,810

Hello...this concerns the WW2 Naval pilot "Pacific Rim Gold Barter Pack". It is a fake! Rolex made the first date/time watches in 1945.

+Quote Post
gold_tutor
post Oct 15 2008, 07:03 AM
Post #3

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 25

QUOTE (Ford PU @ Oct 12 2008, 08:55 AM) *
Hello...this concerns the WW2 Naval pilot "Pacific Rim Gold Barter Pack". It is a fake! Rolex made the first date/time watches in 1945.

Sorry, sir/or ma'am, it is NOT a fake , and you are mistaken.

I opened--with great difficulty chores017.gif I might add--the black rubber shell myself. All the contents are exactly as I removed them. Mine were the first eyes to behold them after they were sealed by the Navy in their waterproof container. They are all shown above. happy088.gif

I also have the genuine destruction orders form issued by the US Navy regarding proper re-call and destruction of these after the war. Obviously this one and several others escaped that fate.

I kept ALL the gold, However, the watches are now in the personal possession of a retired Navy pilot in Portland OR, named Mr. Louis Myer, a buddy of mine, who is thrilled to have them and the rubber container that held them.

Kind regards, smile.gif
Ms. Megan "YellowChick" Rose

+Quote Post
Kurt
post Oct 21 2010, 03:33 PM
Post #4

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 7,195

Great 24k piece of history.

--------------------
~Cree Proverb~

+Quote Post
jasper
post Jan 1 2014, 07:10 AM
Post #5

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 116,037

QUOTE (gold_tutor @ Oct 15 2008, 06:03 AM) *
Sorry, sir/or ma'am, it is NOT a fake , and you are mistaken.

I opened--with great difficulty chores017.gif I might add--the black rubber shell myself. All the contents are exactly as I removed them. Mine were the first eyes to behold them after they were sealed by the Navy in their waterproof container. They are all shown above. happy088.gif

I also have the genuine destruction orders form issued by the US Navy regarding proper re-call and destruction of these after the war. Obviously this one and several others escaped that fate.

I kept ALL the gold, However, the watches are now in the personal possession of a retired Navy pilot in Portland OR, named Mr. Louis Myer, a buddy of mine, who is thrilled to have them and the rubber container that held them.

Kind regards, smile.gif
Ms. Megan "YellowChick" Rose

+Quote Post
jasper
post Jan 1 2014, 07:24 AM
Post #6

Diggin' In!

Hi I was reading you post about ww2 gold barter kit??I live in Portland,OR, I just bought a 9 piece gold barter kit from an estate sale in Oregon,I bought this set from Mr Lou Meyers? Mr Meyers had passed befor he could tell me about this kit?? The kit is over 60 grams of gold? Please tell me what I have?&what it is werth?

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Jan 1 2014, 08:44 AM
Post #7

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

QUOTE (jasper @ Jan 1 2014, 06:24 AM) *
Hi I was reading you post about ww2 gold barter kit??I live in Portland,OR, I just bought a 9 piece gold barter kit from an estate sale in Oregon,I bought this set from Mr Lou Meyers? Mr Meyers had passed befor he could tell me about this kit?? The kit is over 60 grams of gold? Please tell me what I have?&what it is werth?

The OP stated they kept the gold, so the kit you bought contains no gold.

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
jasper
post Jan 1 2014, 12:43 PM
Post #8

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (Crusty @ Jan 1 2014, 07:44 AM) *
The OP stated they kept the gold, so the kit you bought contains no gold.

No this kit has 9 gold coins with a total weight of 62.202 grams?I though you may know the value of this kit?Have you ever seen a kit with 9 coins??Iam trying to find out the history of this kit,If you can please let me know anything about this kit,I would be most greatfull. I have been trying to find one that is simaler to mine,every thing that I see has only 3 or 4 gold coins never 9.on the back of my kit it has a stamp #of 814,did your kit have that same stamp??

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Jan 1 2014, 03:01 PM
Post #9

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

QUOTE (jasper @ Jan 1 2014, 11:43 AM) *
No this kit has 9 gold coins with a total weight of 62.202 grams?I though you may know the value of this kit?Have you ever seen a kit with 9 coins??Iam trying to find out the history of this kit,If you can please let me know anything about this kit,I would be most greatfull. I have been trying to find one that is simaler to mine,every thing that I see has only 3 or 4 gold coins never 9.on the back of my kit it has a stamp #of 814,did your kit have that same stamp??

The original post is almost 6 years old; hopefully the OP is still around and can answer your questions. Sounds like a very interesting find!

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
russau
post Jan 1 2014, 06:55 PM
Post #10

russau

Member No.: 43

yep, Megan hasnt been here in several years! ive bought things from her over the years and i know shes still out there mining her claime!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:45 PM