ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Pick Axe
Davem
post Sep 8 2015, 03:15 PM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 116,850

I found a pick axe in Custer, SD $5.00 that was in real good shape. The stamp mark was Elliptical with Beall Bros. Alton, ILL. I did a quick net search and they made mining tools but is there any way to date the tool? The two ends of the pick are also a little different, wondering why.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Caveman
post Sep 8 2015, 05:29 PM
Post #2

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 41,357

Please provide some pictures of this. My old pick-ax has 2 different sides, too. A pick side (pointed) and a chisel side (narrow, flat). Enables one to "pick" at the rock wall, then 'chisel'/'pry' out chunks, or 'smooth' the face. It's big (10#) but you can be amazingly delicate with it.

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
World Traveler, 7 Continent Walker
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER
Referral Code: SE2104

+Quote Post
Davem
post Sep 9 2015, 09:32 AM
Post #3

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 116,850

It is a Beall Bros. No 7.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-miners-pic...7-/291453960195

It was in a collectibles shop in Custer SD and only $5.00 which seemed pretty cheap. It had a little rust but not much. Yesterday I did an internet search and it seems quite a few are around for $20 so I got a good price but not a steal.

I was wondering how old it might be? I bought a broadax several years back that the stamp indicated a 1820-1830 date of manufacture.

Since there seems to be a lot around and it is not a priceless antique-I want to use it. Last night I boiled and scrubbed the head with steel wool a couple of times to turn the rust black and now it looks almost like it just came from the foundry. I want to put a handle on it. I'm not sure how long the handle should be and if the handle is a pressure fit or you use a wedge. I have some ash I could use or I could buy some hickory.

On the tips, I sort of figured the pointed end and the very narrow chisel end were simply to fit better into various types of rock.

Everyone is doing their own thing. I am sort of a history buff and for me, I like using the old tools even if the new gear does a better job. My thoughts on the pick (placer mining) would be to turn over some heavier rocks in streams, etc. that may be covering cracks, etc. with gold.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:30 PM