ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Gold Well Vortex Drop Riffle Sluice, By HM Research
Crusty
post Nov 30 2014, 11:45 AM
Post #1

Master Mucker!

Group: Members
Member No.: 82,915

Gimmick or revolutionary new design?

http://www.hmresearch.net/

Looks like a well put together unit. They've got a 20% off black Friday sale(through MOnday night); should I take the plunge and test it out?
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
swizz
post Nov 30 2014, 12:40 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,983

Drop riffle design with vortexes, I like it!
I saw it being used on one of the large dredge barges on Bering Sea Gold.
Which one are you thinking of getting? I don't think that the prices are too bad. Are the prices listed discounted... or deduct 20% from what is showing in red? They look extremely well engineered and built. If you got one with the highbanker option, all you'd have to do is add one of those HF pumps and you'd be good to go!

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
swizz
post Nov 30 2014, 12:46 PM
Post #3

.... I don't see an option for a highbanker hopper box.
they have what's called a "waterfall box", but that sounds far too gentle for blasting clay
I'd check on that, maybe call them if you're planning on putting a highbanker together. Ask them about spraybars.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Nov 30 2014, 12:58 PM
Post #4

Master Mucker!

here are their BF prices

http://www.hmresearch.net/#!online-store/c1efi

Their "highbanker" is only for classification, so there is no current option for what seems to be a "standard" highbanker, though they say they are working on one. The waterfall box is just another name for making it a "power sluice". They also have a dredge box option.

http://www.hmresearch.net/#!accessories/c1sxt

Seems like running it with a pump, going with the 12" would be a better choice, as the 6" would be pretty limiting on the amount of material you could run.

Here are the videos from the TV show

http://www.hmresearch.net/#!au-grabber-videos/c21z4

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Nov 30 2014, 06:36 PM
Post #5

Based on all that.... I think it's more of a high end cleanup sluice used to reduce high volumes of concentrate.
I think you can do better if you're looking for a good field highbanker.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Nov 30 2014, 08:13 PM
Post #6

Master Mucker!

QUOTE (swizz @ Nov 30 2014, 05:36 PM) *
Based on all that.... I think it's more of a high end cleanup sluice used to reduce high volumes of concentrate.
I think you can do better if you're looking for a good field highbanker.

Rog, thanks for the input! :)

--------------------

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Nov 30 2014, 08:47 PM
Post #7

For that kinda money.... look at the GH Raptor - better machine, better value methinks: Raptor

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
swizz
post Nov 30 2014, 08:59 PM
Post #8

.... and I just noticed they have a banner to the right with 10% off highbankers for the holidays. wink.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
EMac
post Dec 4 2014, 03:39 PM
Post #9

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 117,949

The design is really interesting. Would be fun to pick their brains around why they went with metal (appears to be cut metal blanks to me vs die formed), versus an injection molded or thermoformed plastic or rubber. Hard edges are more difficult to achieve with these processes, but I suspect after some use, those sharp metal edges start to round out anyway.

--------------------
Lifetime Member
opera non verba

"All courses of action are risky, so prudence is not in avoiding danger (it's impossible), but calculating risk and acting decisively. Make mistakes of ambition and not mistakes of sloth. Develop the strength to do bold things, not the strength to suffer." ~Niccolò Machiavelli

Ref Code:

EM448

+Quote Post
Clay Diggins
post Dec 4 2014, 04:27 PM
Post #10

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 118,169

The Goldwell is machined aluminum and stainless. It's an incredibly well built sluice. It has great retention and will handle many times more material than other sluiceboxes of the same size. It's a really nice well thought out design. There are no "hard edges" the finish work is first class.

They do offer a highbanker hopper but the smaller sluice design makes the hopper pretty limiting. Many buckets per minute can be fed directly into the sluice box. Testing shows there is some loss of fines when the material is not classified to 1/2". The commercial installations I've seen just use the sluice as a replacement and use their current feed fabrication.

We are considering the Goldwell for our next sluice on our commercial operation. It shows better retention than the others we've tested. More importantly it passes our "60 pound rock dropped from four foot survival test". At present we are using a steel sluice we designed and built ourselves. It's hard to find ready made sluices that will pass the 60 pound test.

The Gold Hog Raptor has great feedback from those who have used it. Gold Hog mats have a good reputation in the industry. Several prospectors I know use the Raptor for stream sampling and prospecting. It also appears to be well made. I've never used one. I've asked about the 60 pound test on the Raptor but no one has been willing to try it. smiley-shocked003.gif

I have no financial interest in either sluice nor do I know the makers or designers.

+Quote Post
fenixsmom
post Dec 4 2014, 04:43 PM
Post #11

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 116,305

Umm I hate to hijack this thread but I can't keep my trap shut anymore. Clay can you please stop with the sarcasm? I get your ass is chapped but continued sarcasm isn't helping your cause. It's just getting childish and petty. Please behave appropriately and you will possibly be considered a go to guy for knowledge. But right now you are coming across as a dick. Just my two cents. Please carry on with your riffle chat.

+Quote Post
Clay Diggins
post Dec 4 2014, 05:17 PM
Post #12

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 118,169

QUOTE (fenixsmom @ Dec 4 2014, 03:43 PM) *
Umm I hate to hijack this thread but I can't keep my trap shut anymore. Clay can you please stop with the sarcasm? I get your ass is chapped but continued sarcasm isn't helping your cause. It's just getting childish and petty. Please behave appropriately and you will possibly be considered a go to guy for knowledge. But right now you are coming across as a dick. Just my two cents. Please carry on with your riffle chat.

Thanks for the feedback fenixsmom. I understand what you are saying but I have been continually portrayed here as a "vendor" and a seller of "wares". I have been called names and accused of trying to sell something. On neither of the unnamed sites I shared privately with Dan is it possible to actually purchase anything. I do not retail anything to prospectors.

My comment here was not meant as sarcasm but to derail any more false accusations that sharing my opinion or experiences is in any way an effort to share anything but my own hard earned knowledge. I don't have a "cause" other than to help my fellow prospectors.

I'm not chapped but I do have feelings. False accusations are hurtful to anyone with feelings. I'm used to prospectors piling on the new guy. Tough bunch here.

To avoid derailing the thread - do you have any thoughts on either the Goldwell sluice or the Raptor?

+Quote Post
EMac
post Dec 4 2014, 05:21 PM
Post #13

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 117,949

QUOTE (Clay Diggins @ Dec 4 2014, 03:27 PM) *
There are no "hard edges" the finish work is first class.

LOL...You like to get hung up on semantics I see....or just enjoy incorrectly interpreting what I write. I tend to prefer practicality personally, and I used two commonly accepted terms we use on our manufacturing floors for this. Maybe this will help alleviate your confusion: Deburring and Edge Finishing Handbook (Figures 2-5 and 2-6 have good examples of how this can be specified on a print)

If not, this (from HMS Research's site....3rd column, 4th from the top) is what I'm referring to and it appears they didn't break the sharp edges very much if at all, strongly suggesting a machined part:
Attached Image

--------------------
Lifetime Member
opera non verba

"All courses of action are risky, so prudence is not in avoiding danger (it's impossible), but calculating risk and acting decisively. Make mistakes of ambition and not mistakes of sloth. Develop the strength to do bold things, not the strength to suffer." ~Niccolò Machiavelli

Ref Code:

EM448

+Quote Post
fenixsmom
post Dec 4 2014, 05:33 PM
Post #14

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 116,305

Unfortunately I haven't any experience with the industrial size sluices. I'm still rather wet behind the ears, so I cannot add anything to the thread.

I know you have feelings and have tried to show empathy. I'm going to end this thought with a plea for the pissing contest to end. Can't we all just get along?

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Dec 4 2014, 05:41 PM
Post #15

Master Mucker!

QUOTE (Clay Diggins @ Dec 4 2014, 03:27 PM) *
The Goldwell is machined aluminum and stainless. It's an incredibly well built sluice. It has great retention and will handle many times more material than other sluiceboxes of the same size. It's a really nice well thought out design. There are no "hard edges" the finish work is first class.

They do offer a highbanker hopper but the smaller sluice design makes the hopper pretty limiting. Many buckets per minute can be fed directly into the sluice box. Testing shows there is some loss of fines when the material is not classified to 1/2". The commercial installations I've seen just use the sluice as a replacement and use their current feed fabrication.

We are considering the Goldwell for our next sluice on our commercial operation. It shows better retention than the others we've tested. More importantly it passes our "60 pound rock dropped from four foot survival test". At present we are using a steel sluice we designed and built ourselves. It's hard to find ready made sluices that will pass the 60 pound test.

The Gold Hog Raptor has great feedback from those who have used it. Gold Hog mats have a good reputation in the industry. Several prospectors I know use the Raptor for stream sampling and prospecting. It also appears to be well made. I've never used one. I've asked about the 60 pound test on the Raptor but no one has been willing to try it. smiley-shocked003.gif

I have no financial interest in either sluice nor do I know the makers or designers.

Thanks for the input!

QUOTE (fenixsmom @ Dec 4 2014, 03:43 PM) *

Did I miss something in his post? Are you referring to his last line? I know there has been some going back & forth with CD; I don't know him personally, but that is a standard statement when reviewing stuff, so I didn't take it as sarcasm.

Not poking you or stirring the pot; just thought maybe I missed something.

--------------------

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:56 PM