ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Help pick a route
kmontoya911
post Oct 13 2011, 02:27 PM
Post #1

Shovel Buster!

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,180

I'm trying to plan my route to hunting camp, and could use some help.

I live between Denver and Ft.. Collins. I am hunting North of craig. Last year I went up to Larimie, then back toward Walden, back up into Wyoming, over to Baggs, then Down toward Craig. Scenic, but not very fast, about 5 1/2 hours.

Options, Up to Larimie, West past Rawlins and down. Lots of interstate.

Or, Down to Denver, I 70 to Silverthorne, Co 9 to US 40, to Co 13 then North. I have never been this way. How is Co 9 to US 40?

Both of these routes could save me an hour. What say you masters of mountain driving?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CP
post Oct 14 2011, 05:19 AM
Post #2

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

We drove up hwy 9 recently from Silverthorne to Kremmling and on over to Walden, that wasn't a bad ride at all....great scenery.

Another route that might be one for you to take would be up hwy 287 to hwy 14 west to Walden, if I'm remembering the route right....depending on where you start from on the front range maybe that route would save a bit more time.

Good luck on your hunt and stay safe out there. Transportation.gif

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
kmontoya911
post Nov 2 2011, 03:13 PM
Post #3

Shovel Buster!

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,180

Well, I did a big ol' loop. Itook I 70 west to Co 9, then North to Kremmling. I wondered about all that black dirt around Wolford resevoir. Oil shale? Then I headed West into Craig. Back north to my hunting camp. I had the pleasure to spend a few days hunting with a gentleman who had a Ph.D in geology. He pointed out a lot of neat things I had never even thought about before. He pointed out that the majoity of the ground we were looking at was columnar basalt. I had never even noticed the columns before. It is amazing what you don't see when you are looking for something else.

I did take a side trip, one afternoon, to look at a placer mine operation. It was a dry wash plant. I couldn't get close enough for pictures, but I did look at it through my spotting scope. Definately not the type of land I would have envisioned finding gold in. Just goes to show you, there is a lot for me to learn. I did do some research prior to going on lr2000. I had a little unclaimed spot all picked out to prospect, but I spent all my time prospecting for elk instead. Alas, they proved ellusive this year.

For the trip home, I continued North to I 80 in Wyoming. Then East to 287, where I hooked it South towad home. One last undelightful 45 min South on I 25, then It was East for a wonderful reunion with my wife and 3 daughters.

It was nice to spend some time in the mountains with friends. I wish they could have stayed longer. Elk camp is not the same when you are by yourself. Definately glad to be home.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:59 PM