ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Closer to the source
johnnybravo300
post Dec 3 2015, 09:47 PM
Post #1

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 120,659

I came across a piece of petrified wood one day walking across a steep face on a deer trail. I've been going there off and on for about the last year hunting for more and more. It's close to home and its an easy detour when I walk the dogs. I always find something, sometimes a few. I've found chunks from fingernail size to half a bowling ball. I've been trying to triangulate the source and I'm up pretty high up the mountain now.
Well today the piece I found actually has some of the rock layer that was next to it still attached! Thats really a huge clue for me and its giving me more details on where to look. You can see it in the second pic better I think. Looks out of place on the pet wood and its mostly on one side. It looks like concrete through the loupe but maybe an ash layer from tomichi dome? I'm due south of tomichi less than 10 miles and it was volcanic. Its still supplying hot water for waunita hot springs so I should say it is volcanic. I've seen that layer exposed in some places so thats a good start I think.
It's not a gold vein THIS TIME, but the hunt is still awesome and its been a heckuva learning experience so far. I feel like I'm getting better each time. Just figured I'd share with y'all. When the snow comes and you can't see the ground, just look for south facing hills. That's how I found this and you just never know. Sheer luck sometimes is all it can be. It's better than sitting at home depressed staring at flakes in a vial or looking at the same crystals and rocks over and over ha-ha. I know the feeling!
I should probably take some digging tools next time. Maybe I can uncover a tree trunk!!!
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Level 2 member -12/25/16
Referral code JL697
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:58 AM