ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
St. Elmo, Colorado, a living history gig
Coalbunny
post Jun 22 2006, 06:19 PM
Post #1

Master Mucker

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

I do some volunteering at the local museum, and am now part of the living history bunch. We're doing a living history gig at the old mining town of St. Elmo, Colorado this weekend. I don't have a lot of stuff on it myself, but here's a bit Cara the museum director put together-

Have you bought your tickets for Inside St. Elmo?

These tours, scheduled June 24 and 25 and July 15 and 16, offer an opportunity to explore half a dozen buildings in the town, most of them privately owned. For those two weekends, the town will be transformed to its heyday in the late 1800s, as tour guides in period dress explain the history of St. Elmo and the Chalk Creek area, and docents in character welcome visitors to such treasured structures as the Home Comfort Hotel and the St. Elmo Schoolhouse.

The tours are open to the public by reservation only and are scheduled every half hour from 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. There will be no rain or snow dates. Admission is $20 per person, $15 for ages 6-12. Buena Vista Heritage members will receive a 20 percent discount.

Barbecue plates and sandwiches, as well as chips and drinks, will be available for purchase in St. Elmo. Attendees are also welcome to bring their own picnic.

Attendees are advised that the altitude of St. Elmo is 10,000 feet and that the tours will last approximately 2 hours. The tours are not advised for adults with respiratory problems or who have difficulty walking on uneven terrain or navigating stairs. The buildings are not handicapped-accessible. Out of respect for the re-enactment team, the buildings themselves and other paid attendees, children under 6 years of age will not be allowed on the tours.

Proceeds from the tours will benefit the historic preservation efforts of Buena Vista Heritage. For more information, call BV Heritage staff at 719-395-8458.

Cara Russell
Director, Buena Vista Heritage
719-395-8458
P.O. Box 1414, Buena Vista, CO 81211
So I say....

Come one, come all, let have a blast at the shindig in St. Elmo! wub.gif

--------------------
Today's socio-political climate is rock solid proof that Adam and Eve weren't prospectors.
If they were they'd have eaten the snake instead of the apple and we'd still be in heaven....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Jun 26 2006, 12:02 AM
Post #2

Master Mucker

Sometime later I'll get the pics put up. It's a lot! And after spending all day yesterday panning for display and teaching people about panning, my knees ache, my back hurts, and I found what I had been told about Chalk Creek is true- there ain't jack squat for color there!

I found a little bit, and two of the people I taught found some. All of it clearly smaller than .1 mm, and even then one of the "students" had only four of the flakes. I found some, but 2-3 flakes here and there, it just ain't worth it. Did find some aquamarine, though. Not even collector's grade- all junk. :(

But the pics are great and the history I learned, all courtesy of the re-enactors, more than any book can teach!

--------------------
Today's socio-political climate is rock solid proof that Adam and Eve weren't prospectors.
If they were they'd have eaten the snake instead of the apple and we'd still be in heaven....

+Quote Post
Denise
post Jun 26 2006, 09:36 AM
Post #3

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Sounds like you had a blast Carl. Fun teaching isnt it?
cool.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Jun 27 2006, 10:12 PM
Post #4

Master Mucker

NO!!!! Man, people were asking me "what does gold looooook like?" DUH!!!!! Well, it looks like.... GOLD!!!! LOL! I went back Sunday bt the weather wasn't suitable for it, so I just watched a few spots to make sure only people that paid for the tour got int he buildings.

I did get some ore from a millsite though, and I hit it with the rock saw. Galena galore! And I think possibly some native Ag from how it streaked a few times. You can tell when it's the saw blades streaking or the stuff in the rock. All in possession of the museum now.

This pic is part of the town.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Jun 27 2006, 10:14 PM
Post #5

Master Mucker

Another....this is of the Stark General Store.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Jun 27 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #6

Master Mucker

Another....
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Jun 27 2006, 10:20 PM
Post #7

Master Mucker

Here's where I was at on Saturday.... between the weight limit sign and the bridge, hand a right and drop down to the creek. (which is next!)
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Jun 27 2006, 10:22 PM
Post #8

Master Mucker

Right here!
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Jun 27 2006, 10:25 PM
Post #9

Master Mucker

And just a biiiit closer....gold was found twice from between the big rocks at the bottom of the pic and once at the top by the log. Very very fine colors, and a couple I called "ghosts". So fine that they'd float even on creek water. They were gold though.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Jun 27 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #10

Master Mucker

Russ & Dan likely remember this when they were in school! tongue.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Jun 27 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #11

Master Mucker

Mt. Mamma and Grizzly Gulch....
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Jun 28 2006, 08:30 AM
Post #12

Master Mucker

Topo maps to follow-

Map: St. Elmo
USGS Reference Code: 38106-F3-TF-024
Map Scale: 1:24,000
Map Year: 1982
Contour Interval: 40'

Map: Cumberland Pass
USGS Reference Code: 38106-F4-TF-024
Map Scale: 1:24,000
Map Year: 1982
Contour Interval: 40'

#1- St. Elmo NE....
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Jun 28 2006, 08:32 AM
Post #13

Master Mucker

#2- St. Elmo SE
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Jun 28 2006, 08:34 AM
Post #14

Master Mucker

#3- St. Elmo SW
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Jun 28 2006, 08:36 AM
Post #15

Master Mucker

#4- St. Elmo NW
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:39 PM