ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rock saws
Coalbunny
post Mar 26 2006, 05:15 AM
Post #1

Master Mucker

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

CP, I'm coming to you since you're a pro at this. I have me a rock saw and I think it's a 10" maybe 11". It's old, but no reason it won't work. I'm putting it together soon and I need to know what to do and how to polish up the rocks after they're cut. Not talking about tumbling them, instead to clean the saw marks off the samples.

Any insight?

--------------------
Today's socio-political climate is rock solid proof that Adam and Eve weren't prospectors.
If they were they'd have eaten the snake instead of the apple and we'd still be in heaven....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
russau
post Mar 26 2006, 06:09 AM
Post #2

russau

Member No.: 43

carl we have a entire department at work that does this and after cutting a sample they have a fast turntable(for lack of a better description) that has different grits of diamond polishing paper. it has water applied to the wheel to cools/ lubricates/keeps the grit clean, and after they are polished they take them into the electron microscope to blow up the image to look at it and they take pictures of this. all this so that the engineers can look for defects in a peice that has been stressed,bent,pulled apart. hope this has answered your question.

+Quote Post
carver2
post Mar 26 2006, 01:06 PM
Post #3

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 198

I think what you are looking for is a flat lap. Check ebay or lapidary near you. Will

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Jun 15 2006, 11:42 PM
Post #4

Master Mucker

Yep. Talked to Cindi at the Rock Docm in Nathrop and she showed me what she has. $600 is a bit out of my league though.

--------------------
Today's socio-political climate is rock solid proof that Adam and Eve weren't prospectors.
If they were they'd have eaten the snake instead of the apple and we'd still be in heaven....

+Quote Post
sgaolson
post Jun 16 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #5

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 81

Carl, I have a Loritone combo it has the grinders and polishers and a 6 in trim saw
I will let it go forf $250. I'll be in Breckenridge in August.......

--------------------
"Nobody get's in to see the Wizard, not nobody not no how."

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Jun 18 2006, 05:33 AM
Post #6

Master Mucker

Garry, you have a PM....

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:55 PM