ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Sluicing for diamonds
amethystguy
post Feb 23 2011, 12:18 PM
Post #1

Shovel Buster!

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,819

I was wondering if your forum duiamond expert, John Tonko, or any of the other can answer a few questions for me.
Any pertinant info on Diamond sluicing? I was told one time before that miners moss was the way to catch diamonds. What about the riffles? What size, shape, angles do the riffles have to be at to catch diamonds? How do you determine the angle of the sluice. I know the amount of water running through will determine the proiper angle set. What about material like grease and beeswax which diamonds stick to. Should that be put into the sluice/riffles? I thought i had read that alluvial diamonds didn't stick as well to grease as did hardwork material. Is that true or does it make that big a difference? Any other info you can provide?
jason

--------------------
Amethystguy cometh and the amethystguy taketh away
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
ScottKS
post Apr 29 2011, 09:43 AM
Post #2

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 319

Another one found...This one even BIGGER....smiley-shocked003.gif

http://www.9news.com/news/sidetracks/19576...7CFRONTPAGE%7Ct

Dang now would be the best time to go...they must of plowed up some good dirt off of the pay layer because people keep finding them.

+Quote Post
Diamond Digger
post May 2 2011, 03:44 PM
Post #3

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 7,480

Finding diamonds is not that difficult but you do need the proper gear to wash it out of the gravels. A sluice will not do it, it has been tried by old miners and several other companies but some diamonds float and that is a fact! So with a sluice you will only get about %2 of the stones the rest will wash away. It is not the right gear to find diamonds with.
DD
Sorry to say.....

+Quote Post
ASTROBLEME
post May 2 2011, 05:01 PM
Post #4

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 6,813

QUOTE (Diamond Digger @ May 2 2011, 04:44 PM) *
Finding diamonds is not that difficult but you do need the proper gear to wash it out of the gravels. A sluice will not do it, it has been tried by old miners and several other companies but some diamonds float and that is a fact! So with a sluice you will only get about %2 of the stones the rest will wash away. It is not the right gear to find diamonds with.
DD
Sorry to say.....

Diamonds do float; I've seen it for myself. They are "non-wettable" and can hold a static charge on their surface that make them appear to repel water. One must use extreme caution with the sluice; it isn't intended for commercial applications...only for prospecting or specimen collecting!

Here’s a link that everyone might find helpful.

http://www.wsgs.uwyo.edu/Topics/Gemstones/...ndsPamphlet.pdf

JT

--------------------
Annual Dues Paying Member Since 2008

Tonko Mining Company

"Some day this crater is going to be a greatly talked about place, and if the above credit is due, as is certainly the case, I would like to have it generally known for the sake of the children." Daniel Moreau Barringer 2/1/1912 in a letter about the Barringer Meteorite Crater, Arizona USA

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:06 AM