ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Significance of Plutons, Question regarding Plutons
Shawnee Man
post Apr 12 2016, 04:04 AM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 122,605

I read the thread on the significance of faults. It brought to mind another geology question. I have been doing some reading on the Pikes Peak Batholith and found that the formations of Plutons in this area seem to have a correlation with mineral formation. Can someone expand on this for me please?

--------------------
"I don't want excuses, I want results." Lifelong quote from my father.

Shawnee Man
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
EMac
post Apr 12 2016, 03:07 PM
Post #2

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 117,949

I imagine a geologist could wax poetic about this, but my understanding is a lot of the minerals were injected into the veins and fractures around plutons via a hydraulic process (minerals are dissolved into a solution, heated and the gases/liquids condense in the veins).

This may help (excerpt taken from page 45 Epithermal Gold Deposits Part II):
A process of mixing of magmatic solutions with a peripheral convective meteoric water system in the vicinity of a differentiating pluton is consistent with the timing, zoning, and characteristics of the numerous deposit types near the Porphyry Mountain stock. Gold deposits elsewhere in the district may have had a similar origin, although a relationship between intrusive events and vein deposition elsewhere is less clear.

--------------------
Lifetime Member
opera non verba

"All courses of action are risky, so prudence is not in avoiding danger (it's impossible), but calculating risk and acting decisively. Make mistakes of ambition and not mistakes of sloth. Develop the strength to do bold things, not the strength to suffer." ~Niccolò Machiavelli

Ref Code:

EM448

+Quote Post
EMac
post Apr 12 2016, 03:25 PM
Post #3

Rock Bar!

Assuming this guy is who he says he is, it gives a little background on the Cripple Creek district. Taken from here:
After Carlin and Homestake, Cripple Creek is the third most productive gold district in the US. The ores from Cripple Creek have an origin different from other gold deposits in the Front Range. The gold at Cripple Creek was formed within or at the margin of a Tertiary volcanic breccia. These rocks occupy a steep-walled volcanic caldera about 4 miles long and 2 miles wide that was a result of gaseous eruptions. Explosive fracturing and subsidence produced shear zones in the breccia and adjacent Precambrian rocks. Along these shear zones, various dikes and irregular masses of volcanic rocks were emplaced, including latite, syenite, phonolite and lamprophyre. These dikes were more porous to fluids than the surrounding Precambrian granitic rocks, and in many places became the conduits for the ore bearing brines.

These ore deposits are epithermal and found along persistent veins. Many of these veins lie close to the margin of the breccia mass while others persist into the breccia or extend into the adjacent Precambrian rocks. The veins are narrow, high-grade zones mineralized with gold, silver and copper tellurides, pyrite, sphalerite, galena and tetrahedrite.

The gangue minerals (associated minerals with no value) are chiefly quartz and fluorspar, with dolomite, ankerite and celestite.

The most spectacular discovery at Cripple Creek was the Cresson Vug. This cavity, roughly 25 feet by 12 feet by 40 feet high, was found in 1914, and was lined with gold tellurides, quartz, celestite and clay. Nearly 20,000 ounces of gold had been mined from this vug.

--------------------
Lifetime Member
opera non verba

"All courses of action are risky, so prudence is not in avoiding danger (it's impossible), but calculating risk and acting decisively. Make mistakes of ambition and not mistakes of sloth. Develop the strength to do bold things, not the strength to suffer." ~Niccolò Machiavelli

Ref Code:

EM448

+Quote Post
swizz
post Apr 12 2016, 04:26 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,983

"This cavity, roughly 25 feet by 12 feet by 40 feet high, was found in 1914, and was lined with gold tellurides, quartz, celestite and clay. Nearly 20,000 ounces of gold had been mined from this vug."

I just fell out of my chair. ohmy.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
EMac
post Apr 12 2016, 04:44 PM
Post #5

Rock Bar!

The Cresson mine is pretty impressive:

Gaussling Wordpress Page 1
Gaussling Wordpress Page 2

--------------------
Lifetime Member
opera non verba

Ref Code:

EM448

+Quote Post
Shawnee Man
post Apr 13 2016, 04:27 AM
Post #6

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 122,605

QUOTE (EMac @ Apr 12 2016, 05:25 PM) *
Assuming this guy is who he says he is, it gives a little background on the Cripple Creek district. Taken from here:
Thank you Emac. That certainly addressed my request. I find the formation of intrusions fascinating.

--------------------
"I don't want excuses, I want results." Lifelong quote from my father.

Shawnee Man

+Quote Post
yakyakgoose
post Apr 14 2016, 11:07 AM
Post #7

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 122,603

QUOTE (Shawnee Man @ Apr 13 2016, 05:27 AM) *
Thank you Emac. That certainly addressed my request. I find the formation of intrusions fascinating.

I like this stuff also, I like to know all the how and why behind all these minerals etc. Hopefully makes me a better rockhound than just going to the locations everyone knows about.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 07:43 AM