ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Colorado Thundereggs
Denise
post Jul 10 2010, 07:04 AM
Post #31

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Here is a sweet find Carol made here in Colorado. Looks like several eggs stuck together.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Sure will be cool to see whats inside after she cuts it. happy088.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Denise
post Jan 24 2011, 09:13 AM
Post #32

Master Mucker!

Here is a little lovely that a neighbor said he found in his yard, and was wondering if it would be worth cutting.
I took one look at it and knew right away that it was worth picking up. excited.gif drool.gif

Can anyone tell me what indicators are showing that would make this a good find? spock.gif poke.gif
Hint- It might help to click the larger image for a closer look...

anyone.gif

Attached Image

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jan 24 2011, 10:11 AM
Post #33

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,983

I know very little of Thundereggs and have never found one, but.... looking at that one, I would think that the bubbly Quartz oozing, possibly several different mineral inclusions, and a nice symmetrical shape might be good indicators.
I also see a natural fracture but not sure if that means anything.
Post a pic when you guys cut that one, can't wait to see what's inside! happy088.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Denise
post Jan 29 2011, 09:00 AM
Post #34

Master Mucker!

Good eye Swizz, those are definately indicators! One can also see the pressure ridges in this stone. I asked the man that found it the same question......What made you think this was a good rock to pick up and have cut? His reply was the shape of the rock, and he could see in a spot where it had broke, that there was something very different inside. Here is the face that he was looking at.

Attached Image

I handed him the 20x loop and told him to take a look at the face I was showing in the first pic. His jaw dropped when he looked through the loop and saw the small pinkish clear botryoidal bubbles. jawdrop.gif That just hightened his excitement to see it cut to reveal whats inside.

Me.............. chin.gif I kind of want to go look for the sourse of this new undiscovered Thunderegg bed. Weather is perfect for it! drool.gif happy112.gif
emoticon-misc-004.gif

kick_can.gif Ok, lets cut this baby and see whats inside. One never knows, it may be a dud.........but then again, it may have amazing beauty just waiting to see first light. happy112.gif

Stay tuned while we cut this find.......

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
CP
post Feb 4 2011, 12:20 PM
Post #35

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 3

Dodging the weather is tricky but we did have one day that was nice enough last week before several days of -20 to -30 lows that followed.....BRRRR!
I agree good eye on that Swizz, those pressure ridges (seams) you noticed are a dead give away on the T-eggs. The ridges form from the slow filling of the silca (quartz) material into the gas bubble of the rhyolite flow. Over a very long time the layers formed enough to swell the bubble beyond it's original size causing the pressure ridges to crack the shell of the bubble.
First pic is on the saw for cutting, alignment is just about how Denise has it in the first pic above. Ironically enough the cut ended up right between the bubbles on the outside in that picture too. chores017.gif

Attached Image

Another 30 minutes later or so here is what showed it's pretty face to the sun for the first time ever seen, we'll be looking for more of these soon to verify this might be a new thunder egg bed locality for Colorado too! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Nice contrasting colors/blend of banding and small plumes with a very solid form. Not to bad at all for a surface/aluvial find......enjoy.

Attached Image

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
Denise
post Feb 8 2011, 08:29 AM
Post #36

Master Mucker!

So now we can go look for the source? eating-popcorn-03.gif smiley-cool14.gif stirthepot.gif

happy112.gif

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Denise
post Apr 4 2014, 09:42 AM
Post #37

Master Mucker!

Neighbor wasn't so hip on digging up his yard "yet", so that source will have to wait. giggle.gif Amazing how we are still working pieces from that Thunderegg chunk that Tim found. This is a piece that we are going to work into another key chain for my brother Dean and a heart for his love Kristen.
He plays guitar so I made him a guitar pick from a piece and wrapped it so he could wear it but he hung it on his wall because he said "it's too beautiful to use". laugh.gif This piece for a key chain will work great for him when finished. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Attached Image

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Apr 4 2014, 11:42 AM
Post #38

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

Great thread!

I posted this on our Facebook page, but hadn't gotten to posting it here. Here's my haul from Rockhound State Park in Deming NM. Don't have a saw, so I need to figure out to crack these goodies open to see what treasures await!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/17031449317...1/?stream_ref=2

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Denise
post Apr 4 2014, 01:09 PM
Post #39

Master Mucker!

You like this thread....your really going to like the other thread we have going with the New Mexico eggs! happy112.gif
We really like the Teggs and they have some pretty nice one there. Thanks, post up those pictures in that thread when you get a chance. We would love to see them.
smile.gif

Just don't crack them open with another rock or a rock hammer..... smiley-shocked003.gif .......Not only is that really dangerous for you but destructive for the inside of the Thunderegg.
Not to mention I would have to turn you into the Thunderegg abusers cop squad. laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Apr 4 2014, 01:37 PM
Post #40

Master Mucker!

QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Apr 4 2014, 02:09 PM) *
You like this thread....your really going to like the other thread we have going with the New Mexico eggs! happy112.gif
We really like the Teggs and they have some pretty nice one there. Thanks, post up those pictures in that thread when you get a chance. We would love to see them.
smile.gif

Just don't crack them open with another rock or a rock hammer..... smiley-shocked003.gif .......Not only is that really dangerous for you but destructive for the inside of the Thunderegg.
Not to mention I would have to turn you into the Thunderegg abusers cop squad. laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

I did find a very cool one that someone had "ruined" by cracking it open. I think it can still be cleaned up, so I kept it. I guess that is the difference between someone doing it for the love of it instead of trying to find commercially valuable specimens. I've picked up some of the coolest stuff I have from other people's tailings.

Need to do some learnin' on what saw to get to buzz them open.

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
russau
post Apr 5 2014, 02:53 AM
Post #41

russau

Member No.: 43

Some people i know use a cast iron pipe cutter to cut these geodes in two. does anyone here use one of these?

+Quote Post
Caveman
post Apr 5 2014, 06:47 AM
Post #42

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 41,357

What about a tile saw? One that is of the top cutting persuasion should do nicely.... Expensive, though.

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
World Traveler, 7 Continent Walker
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER
Referral Code: SE2104

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Apr 5 2014, 07:16 AM
Post #43

Master Mucker!

QUOTE (Caveman @ Apr 5 2014, 07:47 AM) *
What about a tile saw? One that is of the top cutting persuasion should do nicely.... Expensive, though.

Might look in to seeing what I can get at a rental joint.

Off to read the NM thread and post my pics there, since that is where I found them :)

--------------------

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
CP
post Apr 6 2014, 10:31 AM
Post #44

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 3

We definitely would not recommend cutting geodes or thunder eggs with a pipe cutter. stop.gif
Thunder eggs and geodes are not the same thing, which is which depends on what situ it forms in. Either way though, T-eggs nor geodes would turn out good at all if you want to polish it after opening using pipe cutters.
Tile saws will work though with the water for dust control. Trick is to keep that stone absolutely still while the cut takes place, other wise every slight movement will cause a wave or inconsistency in the cut surface. With thunder eggs which are normally solid (but not always) this makes more of a difference on the cutting. Geodes which are normally hollow with a crystal pocket (not always though) can be a bit more forgiving in that sense because it's only the outer rim that gets polished after cutting usually.

Small 4 or 6 inch rock saws are not all that much either, for those of you who like to see what's inside those finds. I'd definitely say a small saw would be worth having around. chores041.gif

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
Denise
post Sep 2 2014, 08:20 AM
Post #45

Master Mucker!

Here is a cap to a busted Colorado Thunderegg. Looks pretty normal on the outside till you flip the piece over revealing the Agate star points (3 in this pic.)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Pretty plain but still a keeper in my book.
smiley-cool14.gif

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 06:10 PM