ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Question about collecting.
Susan
post Aug 8 2012, 02:12 PM
Post #1

Observer

Group: Members
Member No.: 43,661

Hi,
I'm from Illinois and have been collecting Mazon Creek fossils for years. I'm on my way to Denver with my daughter this weekend 8-9-12 and am looking for a collecting adventure. I've been to the Florissant Quarry before and am considering going back, or possibly to the town of Fairplay to try panning. I understand there I need to pay a $5 fee. I don't have any collecting/panning materials so if I go to Fairplay do I have to buy equipment or can I rent it?

I'd be open to other suggestions or looking for a guide (I could pay a fee) to go off the beaten track for crystals or other collecting. My group is 5 of us, myself, 3 teens, and my girlfriend who lives in Denver.

Thanks,
Susan
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Denise
post Aug 9 2012, 12:31 PM
Post #2

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

smileywaving.gif Hi Susan and welcome to the CP forums. The Florissant fossil quarry is a very fun adventure! The Fairplay beach is also a fun time, but there you would need to bring your own pans. For gold panning you might want to consider Vic's Gold Panning just below Blackhawk, and they provide gold pans to use if you need. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Depending on how far you want to go, you may also consider the Last Chance Mine. There you can find several things like Sow Belly Agate, Amethyst, Silver, Galena, etc. I believe they charge by the pound ($2.00) for what you want to take home that you find.

I hope some of this info helps you some. Stay safe and have a great time while here in Colorado, we all would love to hear how it went for you.
smile.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Aug 9 2012, 05:56 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,983

sign0016.gif Hi Susan and welcome to CP!
My thoughts echo what Denise posted. I wasn't aware of Last Chance mine... and now I wanna go!!! That sound fun. I might have to mention it to my ex girlfriend, she likes mine tours. We had a fun tour (and some panning) at the Phoenix Gold Mine but was kinda bummed because we didn't get to go very far underground. I haven't done Argo Gold Mine yet but they have more than just Gold. Also.... another one that I'd love to do and comes highly recommended by CP members is Molly Kathlene Mine. From their website pics it looks like they take you WAY underground. I recon my suggestions are kinda "touristy" but even after 30yrs in this state, it's still fun for me to be a "tourist" again sometimes. There's so much of this state I still haven't seen or experienced, too much for a lifetime.
I have a big-a$$ bucket list, sigh. chin.gif whip.gif
Take some pics and post em up if you get the chance, we're vicarious (and nosy) that way. music037.gif char098.gif
Susan, wherever your travels take you... you'll have fun!

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:04 AM