ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hurricane Charlie hit Geno
CC_
post Aug 14 2004, 12:23 PM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 136

Matt posted this at Golddredger http://golddredger.com/dcforum/DCForumID2/1267.html
"GENE WILEY NEEDS YOUR HELP!!!!!"

Ask yourself the following question: What if I, a Grandfather raising my son's two children, awoke to find parts of my home gone to the degree it may be unsound, my community uprooted, my power out (and may be for weeks), and all I have to live on is what I've got in the cabinets, soon to be warm fridge, and the immediate cash I've got in my wallet? What do I do?
The above is what Gene Wiley is dealing with this morning.

He will need on a sustained basis:

Cash -- whatever it is you have in your wallet or purse this morning -- I'm asking you to send it to Gene right now.

I've got a small generator that won't power his fridge or stove, but at least he'll have lights with it, and I'm going to try and get him a cooler full of ice tomorrow if I have the means to get to him by air. I can't get there on the ground at all. I'll also take over the canned goods I have and that should buy a couple of days.

There is a Publix nearby but their stocks are gone, so he will need canned goods on a sustained basis, and tarps to cover his home until it is repaired or demolished if unsound (one of the walls is gone). If you have any of these things, box them up and send them. Don't send anything that needs refrigeration. They have packages of meats now that are fully cooked (that's good). Soups that are fully cooked in the can AND NEED NO WATER -- are good. He has water at the present time but it might not be safe. He has 3 days worth of food in the cabinets. He needs batteries and a chain saw. Due to runs on the stores here: those things are long gone -- so send yours immediately please.

Don't expect to hear much from Gene's area (Dundee) while the news concentrates on the high dollar homes on the islands.

We can't help everyone in the world but we can help this fine man. Start boxing things up and put that cash in the mail immediately for Gene. He's been the first to pull out his wallet and help the rest of us in the past -- now it's time to help him.

Gene Wiley
310 S. 8th Street
Dundee, Fl 33838

Thank you.

Anne is shipping the following:
Aquafina Spring Water - 6 Pk 2
Goldfish Baked Snack Crackers - Variety 1
Oatmeal Crisp Fruit & Cereal Bars - Strawberry 1
General Mills Milk -N- Cereal Bars - Variety Pack 1
Keebler Sandwich Crackers - Cheese & Peanut Butter 1
Bounty Paper Towels - White 1
Dinty Moore Beef Stew Fresh Potatoes & Carrots 2
Eveready Rubber Light Flashlight 1
Kudos Granola Bars-Variety Pack 2
Value-Pak Paper Plates 1
ShopRite Batteries - Size D 1
Progresso Vegetable Beef Soup 4
Forster Spoons Forks & Knives 4 Ct. 2
Northern Bathroom Tissue - Double Roll 1
Premium Saltine Crackers 1
B&M Baked Beans - Maple 2
Powerade Thirst Quencher 6 PK- Fruit Punch 1
Powerade Thirst Quencher 6 PK- Lemon-Lime 1
Campbell's Pork & Beans 2
Tylenol Caplets Extra Strength 1
Campbell's Chunky Soup 4
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Denise
post Aug 14 2004, 12:53 PM
Post #2

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

:o :( :( Thats terrible!!
Geno is one of the GREATEST guys around!
Glad to hear everyone is ok!!
I will put the word out, and do what I can on this part.
Thanks for the update CC. Please keep us posted!

Sincerely,
Denise
:(

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
gold_tutor
post Aug 14 2004, 07:02 PM
Post #3

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 25

Oh, my goodness.

What are the ages and sizes of Gene and the two grandkids?

EDIT: 8/14/ 7PM PDT Sat Night.
Clothes are not needed by Geno nor his Father as well as Son and DIL who have moved in with him in his damaged 2 bdrm home.

Granddaughter is 18 months old, still in diapers
Grandson is 36 months old.

His Father, his Son and Daughter in law have all moved into Gene's
damaged 2 bedroom house, and that's with a 3 year old and an 18month old.

A case of diapers was purchased by D.I.L. ystdy before storm hit.

Gene's wallet is EMPTY, something he wasn't comfortable admitting.

Gene gratefully accepted the 1000 watt generator from MATT who is 1.5 hours to the North of Geno.

Gene can only buy gas currently from 60 miles away, until electricity is restored to his immediate area.

The little grocery store nearby is opening only for a few hours and letting in a few at a time to purchase perishables. He hadn't been in yet. If that is the one that folks are thinking about using Western Union, that will be a problem for a few days, because it takes a computer which takes electricity to wire in money to a spot where lack of electricity is a major community problem.

He has only a housepayment in the bank and is planning in postponing
making that payment to try to get by. However, he can't even get to those funds in the bank due to the fact that the loss of electricity is so extensive, even the banks aren't running and it's useless to try to get it out.

He is a barber by trade, but until electricity is restored, he is not
going to be doing much barbering.

He has food for the 4 adults for 3 days. He broke down into tears on the cellphone call when he learned care packages were coming.

The wall that caved in was NOT a load bearing wall he said, so his roof is intact for which he was extremely grateful. It WAS his office outside wall, however. He did manage to save his computer, but nothing else, basically, and if it rains and pours anymore, he will lose everything else in that room, where he has draped tarps the best he can.

He has tarps and they are in place as best he can. He needs rope, and has two or more 50' ropes coming from Tom-IA from the CP forum as of tonight.

He said they are in desparate need of D-Cell Batteries. He said there isn't one anywhere in the county and he needs those very very much.

He said he filled up the truck with gas today, and was grateful he was a dredger, since that meant he had extra gas cans to fill compared to his less fortunate neighbors, and would do so again probably on Monday if he can secure funds.

He can only run the refrig for 3 hours every due to it's 5 gallon tank capacity limitation. He had 10 extra gallons of gas. He is planning on having a massive cooking party on Sunday so that they can prepare all the food that thawed during the power outtage 36 hours ago. He's grateful for refrigeration to help that soon to be cooked food to last as long as possible.

He asked that all communication for the time being come through Matt please. I'm not sure he knows of Matt's need to assist to Matt's mother patch the big hole in her roof. I doubt Matt would have told him.

He said they all have clothes, so that isn't a need.

Food, gasoline, batteries, liquid funds are needed, but he doesn't want to feel like a beggar and ask for anything. That's when his voice broke.

He has his barbering supplies still intact, and if he can cut hair, then he can pay the bills. He welcomes prayers for that to be possible and for people to still need their hair cut during this time of upheaval in normal routine.

The mail is still running in the middle of the state as best he knows. He prefers the mail to come to his PO BOX in Dundee due to security concerns.

FEMA won't be set up until Monday, 8/16/04

He is grateful to be alive. His truck is okay and works. He has drinking water for now, altho' I'm sure that is HIGH on FEMA's list of things to provide.

He said he wasn't a religious man particularly but if someone wanted to be supportive of the United Methodist Church in Dundee, then that is where he'd hang his religious hat and recommend supporting relief efforts through them.

HE also said "Praise the Lord" when he learned that his plight was being responded to by other miners. He asked me to convey that "He loves us guys, too."

That's it for tonight guys/dolls.

I can tell you this for sure...there won't be any need to worry about "extra" or "duplicates."

Later!
Megan Rose

+Quote Post
Tom-ia
post Aug 14 2004, 09:46 PM
Post #4

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 78

I am shipping the following first thing Monday when the Post Office opens, will be shipped fastest way they can get it there.

Rope, 200 ft.
Flashlights, 2 with batteries
Extra Batteries, 2 4packs D - Cells.
Footballs, 2 small sponge type, for the little kids
Masking tape, 1 wide roll
Baby Wipes, 1 large box, can be used to wash face and hands on adults & kids if water isnt working.

I know is only a little, but is all I can do at this time, I wish it were more.

Hope this Helps!

+Quote Post
Tom-ia
post Aug 14 2004, 09:50 PM
Post #5

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 78

I forgot to add, if anyone does ship anything to Geno, please post the list of what you ship here. Then someone else wont send duplicate items. A few duplicates may be handy but lets try to get him the variety of things he needs to help secure his home for now, and feed the family.

My daughter and I met Geno at the rally in Colorado and he is a real neat guy. I know he will appreciate anything anyone can do to help.

Thank You All Who Do !!!!

+Quote Post
Denise
post Aug 15 2004, 09:20 AM
Post #6

Master Mucker!

We have offered up our Paypal donation button for Geno right now.
If you can find it in your heart to donate to them through Paypal,
Dan and I will Fedx cash to them.
You can find the donation button on our Home page on the left, just scroll down a little. The donations are already coming in, so please give a little, it all helps them.
Please note in the Paypal message "For Geno", and we will make sure he gets is as quick as possible.
I'm about to head to town, and get a few things to ship to him also, I will post the items later.
Geno also said that everything should be sent to his P.O. box for security reasons. I will get that address posted here later.

Sincerely,
Denise

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Doug-Iowa
post Aug 15 2004, 10:31 AM
Post #7

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 33

Thanks for setting up the donate button Denise. Hang in there Geno.. Help is on the way.

Doug, Jarita, & Mason

+Quote Post
CC_
post Aug 15 2004, 02:47 PM
Post #8

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 136

There will be a donation jar at the Resources Coalition booth at the NW Miners Rally for those that are attending and would like to help out Geno and his family.
CC

+Quote Post
Denise
post Aug 16 2004, 07:20 AM
Post #9

Master Mucker!

Here is the po. box address to send stuff to him.

Gene Wiley
P.O.Box 1615
Dundee Fl.
33838-1615

I Have the following to send him....

4-D Batteries
1-Box Tuna Helper
3-cans Tuna
1-16oz. Dry Roasted Peanuts
1-Pkg. Spiced Tea
1-Box Gram Crackers
1-Box Granola Bars

And $135.00 in cash from the donations sent for him in Paypal, and from locals here.
I also printed out LOTS of pictures of friends who love him..I thought it might make him smile. wub.gif

I hope this helps some!

Sincerely,
Denise

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
russau
post Aug 16 2004, 10:11 AM
Post #10

russau

Member No.: 43

im sure you can duplicate all of the cash you want to send gene,as well as the "d " cell batts! im going to the post office now! thankyouall for helping whatever you can! supporting those that support you is a great feeling esspecilly when this many people on lots of internet sites from all over the country help out our friends!!! it makes me feel hummble!

+Quote Post
skunks_lil_nun
post Aug 16 2004, 12:05 PM
Post #11

Shovel Buster!

From: northern california(the great state of jefferson!!)
Member No.: 40

I couldn't send much $$ but I read somewhere that if we can all pitch in about as much as a haircut costs then it will all add up. I will probably be going to that online grocer in a bit to order a few items for the family.

I just wanted to say how proud I am to 'know' this group of people...you are all wonderful for your generosity! It's really a wonderful feeling to read how much everyone cares. wub.gif

kriss & bill

--------------------
"The original point and click interface was a Smith and Wesson."

+Quote Post
russau
post Aug 16 2004, 12:39 PM
Post #12

russau

there are a lot of people that have been and are still on hard times! and still they help out a friend! you cant beat that with a stick!

+Quote Post
gold_tutor
post Aug 16 2004, 12:49 PM
Post #13

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 25

Say, Russ, how much extra does a barber charge fer a beard trim...I see you got one of those furry chin warmer thingies laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
jmann
post Aug 16 2004, 03:44 PM
Post #14

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 48

Just read about this last night. Told boss I aint workn o/t tonight let me outa here. Im headed for the store right now. Hold on Geno were comn. Joe

+Quote Post
russau
post Aug 16 2004, 06:42 PM
Post #15

russau

megan, i dont know what they charge for a trim! ive had this thing for about 28 years and do my own trimmin! the only reason i even trim it cause my wife says she will choke me with it if i dont! i used to look like zz top! but thats back when i had hair on my head! haha

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:43 AM