ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
My Best Score Yet!!!, What A Day.....
NewRockHounder
post Aug 9 2014, 11:13 PM
Post #1

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 117,890

Ok, let me start things off by saying, "I don't have any pics yet, but I will in a day or so, cleaning" Today... wow.. I got up early to beat the daily T-storms, got up to Devil's Head area around 6am.. proceeded to an area I had checked out with my nephew on Thursday, but due to him being ten, and lack there of, of any chances of me digging successfully other than float material (which I did find) I went back to a couple spots today... Honestly didn't find a whole lot, kind of a waste of time but I'm glad I checked, rather than wondering. By the time I left that area, it was around noon, and the T-storms had begun with Lightning. As it did such, I moved locations to an area I had read about in that book I got (see other thread) and consulting with my Colorado map book. By the time I got to the spot I thought I wanted, it had started down pouring, so I sat in my truck and had a couple cigs and looked at my map book. Thus doing so, I recalculated that I was off by 3 miles or so, so headed back according to my mileage.

By the time I got to the new spot, the skies had cleared, it was spectacular. Started my hike towards a road that was closed, figured I'd give it a shot, hoping that my mileage to map book to mineral book was accurate - hiked in about five hundred yards, saw a dig site, went through the over burden, found a couple small pieces of smokey quartz and proceeded on. Not even five minutes later, noticed another dig site, again, went through over burden, JACKPOT! Large crystal fragments, some with most of the sides, all smokies...to say the least, I was thrilled. After going through what I wanted to take, I started to dig. It was a fairly big hole and majority of which was filled in - looking at the soil/rock I took a chance and started digging on the left - half an hour later, nothing. Proceeded again down the trail.. found a couple more dig spots nothing good again so I figured I'd call it a day. When I was walking back, I was thinking about that large hole I dug in, 'it's so big, I only tried one side' - finding it again wasn't a problem as the amount of quartz and broken crystals is craziness. This time, I dug on the right, not even six inches down I hit red clay. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Digging for ten or less minutes and I find the most holiest and biggest mass of smokey quartz I've ever seen, some crystals I had to leave as they're to big to carry. Got some pieces however and a couple completes tho they broke when I extracted them. I figure the rest of what pieces I did take are still there. Some of which I figure are one foot long or bigger, six inches across, was the biggest I've found (so far). I extracted as much as I could carry and then some.. (couldn't stop) - laid a bed of sticks down on the layer of clay I was at, and filled it in. MINE! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif qdraw.gif

Long story short, I'm super stoked - mostly again, thanks to Mike S. for teaching me.

Can't wait to get up there again!

--------------------
- You Rock! (Literally)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NewRockHounder
post Aug 10 2014, 07:02 PM
Post #2

Rock Bar!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

I'll upload more later.

--------------------
- You Rock! (Literally)

+Quote Post
fenixsmom
post Aug 11 2014, 01:55 AM
Post #3

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 116,305

That is a hell of a score!! Great job!

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Aug 11 2014, 06:09 AM
Post #4

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

That's quite a haul! Glad you went back!

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
720fly
post Aug 11 2014, 08:21 AM
Post #5

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 43,666

Those are some looking rocks

--------------------
I want nuggets

+Quote Post
NewRockHounder
post Aug 11 2014, 10:22 AM
Post #6

Rock Bar!

Going back up today to finish the pocket and look for more if I have time. =)

--------------------
- You Rock! (Literally)

+Quote Post
fenixsmom
post Aug 11 2014, 11:45 AM
Post #7

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 116,305

Good luck!!!

+Quote Post
MikeS
post Aug 11 2014, 07:19 PM
Post #8

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 116,265

Good finds Rockhounder! Search through the clay well because you can sometimes find other goodies in the pockets with the quartz in that area (Amazonite, Fluorite). I also explored some new ground this weekend. Looking for claim #2 already. I have found many smokey quartz over many years but I finally found an Amethyst crystal. Yay! smiley-clapping.gif

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
NewRockHounder
post Aug 11 2014, 07:54 PM
Post #9

Rock Bar!

QUOTE (MikeS @ Aug 11 2014, 08:19 PM) *
Good finds Rockhounder! Search through the clay well because you can sometimes find other goodies in the pockets with the quartz in that area (Amazonite, Fluorite). I also explored some new ground this weekend. Looking for claim #2 already. I have found many smokey quartz over many years but I finally found an Amethyst crystal. Yay! smiley-clapping.gif

Attached Image

Damn man, that's beautiful! Find that on claim 2 or 1?

--------------------
- You Rock! (Literally)

+Quote Post
NewRockHounder
post Aug 11 2014, 08:07 PM
Post #10

Rock Bar!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee - Went up again today, like I said earlier.. anywho, the pocket is still going - I was content on what I found.... This being said:
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
- You Rock! (Literally)

+Quote Post
MikeS
post Aug 11 2014, 08:35 PM
Post #11

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 116,265

QUOTE (NewRockHounder @ Aug 11 2014, 08:54 PM) *
Damn man, that's beautiful! Find that on claim 2 or 1?

Found this on the surface on new ground. If I can hit some pockets of this stuff then it may be claim #2.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caveman
post Aug 11 2014, 08:41 PM
Post #12

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 41,357

Very nice finds, guys!

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
World Traveler, 7 Continent Walker
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER
Referral Code: SE2104

+Quote Post
NewRockHounder
post Aug 14 2014, 04:26 PM
Post #13

Rock Bar!

Here I go again. smiley-shocked003.gif Maybe this time I'll finish this endless pocket. Going camping Friday after work (out at 1030am) thru Saturday evening. Just one night, but more or less 30 hours of nonstop digging. Really hope I don't mangle others trying to release them from their sticky clay tombs.

happy070.gif

--------------------
- You Rock! (Literally)

+Quote Post
NewRockHounder
post Aug 18 2014, 09:44 PM
Post #14

Rock Bar!

Welp, didn't finish that pocket, gave up as I broke half of what was there trying to get a gawd damn piece of my 15 inch tall, 8 inch diameter crystal, out. There's still tons in the pocket but I've given up hope that I can extract anything more than pieces from it. I did however, camp right next to it, so there's a nice tent spot there now. I may go back, but doubt that I'll dig there again.

On a side note, went to Topaz Picnic area just to look through other peoples over burden, ended up meeting a couple other rock hounders and exchanging info/showing what they/I found for the day. That group of peeps showed me across the road and gave me some pointers, which is always good. The more I can learn, the better. Eventually wondered off from them and came upon a family that was out rock hounding for the first time. Not that I'm an expert by any means, taught/showed them some general points of interest as to what to look for, yada yada, going through over burden piles and what not. I however, didn't find a damn thing aside from some fragments that I gave to the family. After finding a pocket or two, fragments don't do much for me anymore. Got a taste of the good BIG ASS crystals and can't turn back now. happy112.gif

Over all, it was a great trip. I'll post some pic's in the next couple of days. Currently gluing together a few crystals and don't want to post till I have them all together.

--------------------
- You Rock! (Literally)

+Quote Post
NewRockHounder
post Aug 20 2014, 08:29 PM
Post #15

Rock Bar!

Three more crystals to glue then I'll post pics, cure time for glue is 60-72 hours, I usually give anywhere from 24-48 hours before I rehandle. You do the math, giver'take three-ish days.

--------------------
- You Rock! (Literally)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:53 AM