ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Rough Opal, Ready to be worked!
Denise
post Apr 25 2011, 05:32 PM
Post #1

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Here is a lot of Opal that was bought, and given to us to work for them.
Im sure they will be surprised what we will be able to do with these amazing stones. happy088.gif

First picture is of the Opals....

Attached Image

This is a closer look at the larger Opal pictured at the top of the first photo....

Attached Image

So far the "Love In Lavender" heart is coming along nicely. purple_heart.gif
Im going to try to work this one by hand, meaning only with Diamond hand files, wet/dry sandpaper and polishing grit on a cloth. Opal is a soft stone, so this will be easier than workig Agate with hand tools. As you could see by the picture above, there are several white potch marks, and a fracture on the front that needs to be worked out. This is a fantastic stone, and the whole right side has this amazing bright purple rolling flash. The more I work the stone, the more flash rolls right into the left side. I love how the left side has this almost icy look to it. The backside had several surface fracture that I was afraid would go into the stone further, but they didnt. whew.gif happy.gif I have been able to clean it up nicely.

Right now the stone weighs 5.4 grams (26.5 ct.), but thats before the polishing. I think Im close to being done with the rough stage though except a little tip fine tuning. Remember, picture is shown of the stone dry after the rough (shaping) stage, so you cant see the color flash, but just wait till its done.
This one sure is going to be a beauty I think! wub.gif

Front side....
Attached Image

Back side....

Attached Image

It will be fun to see what Dan is going to do with a few he has been eyeing up. smiley-cool14.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:59 AM