ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Diamonds?
Frenchman
post Apr 23 2016, 07:09 AM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 122,620

So I finally got around to looking more closely at the heavies from last years panning season. I was originally panning for gold but later discovered after some research that there's almost no gold in the area where I live. However, after even more research I discovered there are numerous known kimberlite and lamproite intrusions in the crust in my area. So I went to one of these locations with my gold pan and shovel and started digging and panning in a creek downstream. I should note that my panning skills aren't the best and I might have been too careful and leaving quartz in the pan.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Pictures taken with a samsung s6 through a 15x loupe.
Thoughts and feedback are greatly appreciated!
Attached thumbnail(s)

Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
timloco
post May 3 2016, 07:14 PM
Post #2

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 122,606

Cool! I live in the Fort and I've been pouring over geo maps scheming places to pan diamonds. bunch of diamond pipes west/northwest of town. I'm pretty new to panning in general but it's pretty much the same as gold?

+Quote Post
Frenchman
post May 4 2016, 02:18 AM
Post #3

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 122,620

QUOTE (timloco @ May 4 2016, 04:14 AM) *
Cool! I live in the Fort and I've been pouring over geo maps scheming places to pan diamonds. bunch of diamond pipes west/northwest of town. I'm pretty new to panning in general but it's pretty much the same as gold?

Just like any heavy material, diamond will stay longer in a gold pan than lighter material. Keep in mind diamonds have a specifc gravity of about 3.5 which means it's about 3.5 times as heavy as water whereas gold is 19.2 times as heavy as water. This means loosing diamonds in the panning process is much more easy than loosing any gold if you're not careful.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 04:12 PM