ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Prospecting Fossils, Opinion vs. Law
MikeS
post Dec 20 2014, 11:50 PM
Post #1

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 116,265

When I first started to look into the legality of collecting fossils years ago, I came across many opinions about the subject. Recently I have dug into the issue a little deeper to separate the opinion from actual law. While on the BLM website under rules and regulations page I saw this about prospecting on BLM lands:
Archaeological Resource Protection Act (ARPA)
Anything over 100 years old is considered a cultural artifact and therefore its removal or destruction without authorization is prohibited. No surface collection or disturbance of any cultural materials is allowed on public lands. This includes surface collection of arrowheads (under 43 CFR 8365.15(a)(1)). All surface collection, disturbance, excavation and/or digging for artifacts are prohibited.
Paleontological Resources
The law distinguishes between vertebrate (dinosaurs or animals) and invertebrate(seashells, etc.) fossils. Reasonable amounts of invertebrate fossils may be collected from the surface for personal use (not for sale). Vertebrate fossil collection (dinosaur bones) is prohibited. All excavation or digging for either type of fossil is illegal.
Mineral Resources (Rock, Sand, Gravel)
Reasonable amounts of minerals resources may be collected with a permit for personal use, if collection can be accomplished without causing resource damage.

So I decided to read the (ARPA) and related Acts. I could find no distinction between vertebrate and invertebrate fossils written in the law. Here is what it actually says: (I underlined one sentence and put the word "not" in bold.)
Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 1979
16 U.S.C. 470bb, Definitions
Section 3
As used in this Act—
(1) the term "archaeological resource" means any material remains of past human life or activities which are of archaeological interest, as determined under uniform regulations promulgated pursuant to this Act. Such regulations containing such determination shall include, but not be limited to: pottery, basketry, bottles, weapons, weapon projectiles, tools, structures or portions of structures, pit houses, rock paintings, rock carvings, intaglios, graves, human skeletal materials, or any portion or piece of any of the foregoing items. Nonfossilized and fossilized paleontological specimens, or any portion or piece thereof, shall not be considered archaeological resources, under the regulations under this paragraph, unless found in an archaeological context. No item shall be treated as an archaeological resource under regulations under this paragraph unless such item is at least 100 years of age.
16 U.S.C. 470kk,
Savings provisions
16 U.S.C. 470kk(a),
Mining, mineral leasing, reclamation, and other multiple uses
Section 12
(a) Nothing in this Act shall be construed to repeal, modify,or impose additional restrictions on the activities permitted under existing laws and authorities relating to mining, mineral leasing, reclamation, and other multiple uses of the public lands.
16 U.S.C. 470kk(b),
Private collections
(b) Nothing in this Act applies to, or requires a permit for, the collection for private purposes of any rock, coin, bullet, or mineral which is not an archaeological resource, as determined under uniform regulations promulgated under section 3(1) of this Act.
16 U.S.C. 470kk©,
Lands within Act
© Nothing in this Act shall be construed to affect any land other than public land or Indian land or to affect the lawful recovery, collection, or sale of archaeological resources from land other than public land or Indian land.

The law excludes paleontological specimens from the definition of "archaeological resource" "unless found in an archaeological context".
If they are found in a mineralogical context then they are minerals and subject to mining rights and laws.

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- MikeS   Prospecting Fossils   Dec 20 2014, 11:50 PM
- - swizz   The Antiquities Act also has their own rules regar...   Dec 21 2014, 06:34 AM
|- - Clay Diggins   QUOTE (swizz @ Dec 21 2014, 05:34 AM) The...   Dec 21 2014, 03:51 PM
- - Crusty   So by the first reference, collecting shark teeth ...   Dec 21 2014, 06:44 AM
- - swizz   I believe that is correct. I'm expecting the F...   Dec 21 2014, 06:52 AM
- - swizz   It's hard to understand. Whenever I go to mine...   Dec 21 2014, 07:23 AM
|- - GeoMatt   QUOTE (swizz @ Dec 21 2014, 07:23 AM) It...   Dec 22 2014, 09:30 PM
- - fenixsmom   Sharks have no bones though. They are pure cartila...   Dec 21 2014, 08:42 AM
- - swizz   Link: Sharks are vertebrates   Dec 21 2014, 08:46 AM
- - fenixsmom   Lol i know they have spinal columns. Just saying t...   Dec 21 2014, 08:55 AM
- - swizz   Coincidentally there was a documentary that premie...   Dec 21 2014, 09:56 AM
- - MikeS   I did not see that documentary swizz but it looks ...   Dec 21 2014, 02:03 PM
- - Caveman   Also, shark tooth collection IS legal - the teeth ...   Dec 21 2014, 06:30 PM
- - ColoradoProspector   Good thread MikeS, thanks for starting it up and g...   Dec 21 2014, 09:20 PM
- - swizz   Thanks Dan! Item #4.... (I don't like the ...   Dec 22 2014, 10:01 AM
|- - MikeS   QUOTE (swizz @ Dec 22 2014, 09:01 AM) Tha...   Dec 23 2014, 05:40 PM
- - Clay Diggins   Not all lands owned or managed by Federal agencies...   Dec 22 2014, 11:20 AM
- - johnnybravo300   I have a buddy that dug up half a shark jaw with t...   Nov 25 2015, 09:02 PM
|- - Crusty   QUOTE (johnnybravo300 @ Nov 25 2015, 08:0...   Nov 26 2015, 07:57 AM
- - johnnybravo300   If this pic works. My wife found this arrowhead to...   Nov 28 2015, 11:28 PM
- - MikeS   QUOTE (johnnybravo300 @ Nov 28 2015, 10:2...   Nov 29 2015, 11:20 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:08 PM