ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
New to this "gold thing"..., Not even a member of a club yet... just need pointed in the right dire
ChuckD
post Apr 21 2017, 04:24 PM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 129,517

Let me apologize in advance for what is probably going to be a long-winded "testimonial".

Hello, Folks... from south Texas.
As of a month ago, I had zero interest in looking for gold. And being as up until that time, I had never watched a single episode of any of the "gold shows" on tv, I didn't even know that there was really enough gold in the continental US to bother looking for it. I've worked in refineries and in the oilfield for the vast majority of my working life. I am currently "retired". And BORED to tears.
Then, about a month ago, a single random comment by the landowner of a hunting lease that we hunt on in the Texas hill country changed everything. She stated that last year following a flood that she was down in the creek and she looked down and thought she had seen something glittering that looked like gold. Nobody really responded, and the conversation turned to "What's for breakfast?".
But I couldn't get the thought out of my head. So I'm on my phone later that day, researching the possibility of "gold in Texas". Well, I found out that although we may have a lot of "black gold" the yellow stuff is pretty scarce around here! But while researching, I came across a video of a guy in Colorado running a highbanker. Then another guy, panning. To put it mildly, I was intrigued... actually, I believe at that point in time I was INFECTED. Terminally. I found myself watching video after video of people prospecting and mining gold through various methods. In the last month, I have watched a minimum of 50 plus hours of YouTube videos and read countless pages of info on the subject of gold prospecting. I feel nosy, but I have been on multiple "gold club" forums, reading member's comments to one another. It's as if I've really gotten gold fever... and never even found a flake! I have since ordered and received three gold pans, a snuffer/sniffer? bottle, a magnifier, tweezers, a 1/2" classifier, built my own 1/4" classifier and headed back to the Texas hill country,filled up six buckets from various parts of the creek and panned through it. All to no avail... which is pretty much what I expected. And due to my inexperience, I probably would have missed any gold had there been any. Which leads me to today... I am currently writing this while sitting here at discount tire, getting new tires for my truck in preparation for a trip to Colorado. I have gathered up a dozen 5 gal buckets and lids from Firehouse Subs along with the other items I mentioned. I haven't purchased a sluice or anything else, because I want to talk to someone with some experience before I do anything else.
I am willing to join a club, but do not really know which one to join. A couple of them seem to have a considerable amount of internal drama. I just want to head to Colorado, find a place to pitch a tent by the side of a creek and spend a couple two or three weeks looking for some gold. I'm 52 years old, divorced with two children, both grown, currently in a relationship with a very sweet, understanding lady for ten years plus... she's still working but doesn't mind if I take a "leave of absence- she knows I'm going crazy here at home. I have an abundance of free time on my hands for the foreseeable future, and I am ready for a little adventure. I would head out right now, but I'm afraid I would find myself standing in a stream with no gold, bumping shoulders with tourists, or worse, on somebody else's claim, violating the law, or perhaps eaten by a bear.
I've camped and hunted my whole life... but here in south Texas, I'm at the top of the food chain- not so, in Colorado. I'm sure there's all kinds of things that I haven't taken into account as far as preparing for camping in Colorado. Kind of hard to admit for a person like myself who has always been very independent, at home in the woods, an experienced hunter... but I need a babysitter! Or a very understanding partner. I'm free and willing to work, ready to learn... and totally LOST.
I don't even know what's "do-able"..., so I don't know what questions to ask about this gold stuff. So I'll just throw this out there, and y'all can tell me if I'm nuts... Here's what I WISH for...
I want to head to Colorado, camp by a river or somewhere near a place where I can look for gold. I'm willing to buy a sluice or a small highbanker... I just need advice on exactly WHICH one, if either, to get. I'm willing to pay to camp if necessary. I'm willing to team up and share costs with someone. I'm not looking to get rich... But I also don't want to drive a thousand miles to Colorado and not at least LEARN something. Well, my truck's ready... so now I'm heading to Toyota to get an alignment.
Now I'm at Toyota...
I'm actually writing this in my "notes" on my phone, so I can copy and paste it to some club's forum later- I don't even know if I can post anything on a forum yet, unless I'm a member ...
Here's my email address...if anyone cares to contact me. Anyone who cares to email me, I can then give them my phone number so we can talk in person if they wish.
Again, sorry about writing an entire novel...
Cwdjr34@aol.com

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
relicsncoins
post Apr 21 2017, 05:05 PM
Post #2

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 122,572

Hi Chuck,

Welcome to the forums. Here in Colorado, the majority of the gold comes in the form of flour gold. It's quite fine and takes some practice to become proficient at recovering it. Much of what we call the mineral belt has existing claims, and unless you have comprehensive knowledge of land status research and locating existing claims, I wouldn't recommend just heading out to any creek and panning. The good news is there are plenty of places in Colorado that allow prospecting. The two areas I would focus on are Cache Creek along the Arkansas River and Clear Creek above Golden, Colorado. Cache creek is BLM managed land that has been withdrawn from mineral entry (no claims can be filed) but allows for non motorized prospecting. Clear Creek is part of Jefferson county open space and allows panning, sluicing and dredging. There is ample gold in both places and both are good areas to practice panning and sluicing. Spring runoff is starting and most creeks and rivers will be running quite high for the next 6 to 8 weeks.

Jason

+Quote Post
ChuckD
post Apr 21 2017, 06:08 PM
Post #3

Diggin' In!

Hey, Jason... thanks for the info! I'm also new to these "forum" things. I was just "winging it" when I posted my opening statement... I wasn't sure it would even post. And now, I'm wondering if it posted in the right place, and I'm also wondering if my response to your reply is going to show up in some oddball place...
Anyway... I'll figure it out eventually. Again, THANKS!
Chuck

+Quote Post
MikeS
post Apr 21 2017, 06:35 PM
Post #4

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 116,265

QUOTE (ChuckD @ Apr 21 2017, 05:24 PM) *
I am willing to join a club, but do not really know which one to join. A couple of them seem to have a considerable amount of internal drama. I just want to head to Colorado, find a place to pitch a tent by the side of a creek and spend a couple two or three weeks looking for some gold.

Welcome to the forums Chuck! sign0016.gif

The gold pans, classifier and snuffer bottles are enough to get started with. I don't recommend spending too much money until you have made sure you truly like doing it and want to move more material than a pan.

I am not much of a club joining type of guy myself but the only club that has convinced me to buy a membership is this great club. This is also the only club I promote for anyone who is interested in prospecting.

There are researched areas for club members to go to for gold. Members also like to meet up in the field when we can for gold and other mineral prospects.
If you are looking for a club to help find the right spot to camp and find some gold without ending up on someones claim then this is the right club! Even more so if you plan to come to Colorado.

I would be happy to have you as a fellow club member Chuck if you decide to do so. I have to warn you though, once you find some gold the "fever" may get worse. laugh.gif

There is lots of good information here on the public forums so have a look around when boredom strikes again and consider a membership. smiley-cool14.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
johnnybravo300
post Apr 21 2017, 09:28 PM
Post #5

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 120,659

I second everything these fellas say and don't worry much about the wildlife eating you. You have a better chance of hurting your back, sticking a pick in your foot, getting blistered hands or a sun burn, or just plain dehydration than being a varmints meal for the day hehe.

Even tho I know the stats I still carry a firearm and I think it's naive not to.
It only takes ONE encounter to make your day suck real bad and it just takes a loud "BANG!" in most cases. signs019.gif

Someone asked me if I carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
I said no, I don't need to be paranoid. I have a gun. smileyflag.gif

The old timers said never take a knife to a bear fight...... char092.gif

--------------------
Level 2 member -12/25/16
Referral code JL697

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Apr 22 2017, 09:42 AM
Post #6

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

Welcome Chuck! We've all been there once... and as you warned above, be warned, it is a progressive "disease." before you know it, you'll have a 4" dredge and be spending your whole summer on the creek ;)

Plenty of spots to camp and prospect around Colorado for free. And as also mentioned above, don't spend a bunch more money until you get a feel for what you'll need for where you're working. If you end up hooking up with folks up here, many will have a spare sluice you can use to get a feel for it.

QUOTE (johnnybravo300 @ Apr 21 2017, 09:28 PM) *

I think they said, "If you carry a big ol' bear pistol, be sure and file off the front sight, so it won't hurt so bad when the bear rams it up your backside" smiley-laughing021.gif

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
ChuckD
post Apr 22 2017, 10:22 AM
Post #7

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (MikeS @ Apr 21 2017, 08:35 PM) *
Welcome to the forums Chuck! sign0016.gif

The gold pans, classifier and snuffer bottles are enough to get started with. I don't recommend spending too much money until you have made sure you truly like doing it and want to move more material than a pan.

I am not much of a club joining type of guy myself but the only club that has convinced me to buy a membership is this great club. This is also the only club I promote for anyone who is interested in prospecting.

There are researched areas for club members to go to for gold. Members also like to meet up in the field when we can for gold and other mineral prospects.
If you are looking for a club to help find the right spot to camp and find some gold without ending up on someones claim then this is the right club! Even more so if you plan to come to Colorado.

I would be happy to have you as a fellow club member Chuck if you decide to do so. I have to warn you though, once you find some gold the "fever" may get worse. laugh.gif

There is lots of good information here on the public forums so have a look around when boredom strikes again and consider a membership. smiley-cool14.gif

I'm still trying to figure out how to respond to specific messages but I'm not sure until I actually "post" it if it's gonna show up in the right place... It's not a lack of intelligence... I'm just VERY inexperienced on social media.
MikeS- Thank you very much for the advice. I must say, ALL of you folks who have thus far responded seem like great people. Very friendly, knowledgeable and kind... that means a lot to an outsider like myself to know that if he pursues this thing, that he has good people out there willing to offer advice. Again, thanks!

+Quote Post
ChuckD
post Apr 22 2017, 10:31 AM
Post #8

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (johnnybravo300 @ Apr 21 2017, 11:28 PM) *
I second everything these fellas say and don't worry much about the wildlife eating you. You have a better chance of hurting your back, sticking a pick in your foot, getting blistered hands or a sun burn, or just plain dehydration than being a varmints meal for the day hehe.

Even tho I know the stats I still carry a firearm and I think it's naive not to.
It only takes ONE encounter to make your day suck real bad and it just takes a loud "BANG!" in most cases. signs019.gif

Someone asked me if I carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
I said no, I don't need to be paranoid. I have a gun. smileyflag.gif

JB300- Thanks for the response and the advice. Advice I'll be sure to heed! Again, ALL of you guys have made me feel welcome! And it is greatly appreciated!

+Quote Post
CP
post Apr 22 2017, 08:40 PM
Post #9

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Hi Chuck and welcome to the forums! sign0016.gif Welcome to the world of prospecting and congratulations on your retirement as well!
Colorado is a great state to learn about and practice some prospecting too, best of luck on all your prospecting this year.

As you can tell we have a super group of folks here who are very helpful with info always. Great work everybody! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
I agree to, your gold fever may get worse so be warned on that ahead of time and it may even parlay into many more minerals that you enjoy prospecting for in the future too.

Although club membership isn't going to be something you may need for a single trip........if you happen to decide prospecting suits your future then club membership will be very well worth getting for your prospecting adventures and success on them all. Just let us know anytime if you have questions about the club memberships. Details can be found from the link in my signature image if needed.

For "camping along side a creek" both Cache creek and Clear creek open space described here will not work for that, but you will find some nice colors/gold at either of those spots and camping can be found not all that far away.
I'd also like to add here that there are a couple club members who hold claims with decent gold and small creeks, and they also invite club members to visit their claims at times ..... either of them would suit your trip perfectly should the time frames fit together for your trip. happy112.gif

Jump right in where ever you feel like it around the forum. biggrin.gif

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
ChuckD
post Apr 22 2017, 10:28 PM
Post #10

Diggin' In!

CP...
Thank you sir, for the warm welcome! Yes, I can already tell that this club has good people in it. They've already made me feel very welcome and I look forward to someday meeting them in person.
I've gotta mention something right quick... After getting your response, I looked at your profile and noticed your date of birth and that you are 51 yrs of age. Well, it reminded me that I, too, was born in '65 and haven't had my birthday yet this year... I had mistakenly posted earlier that I was 52 when in fact I'm only 51! Best news I've had all day!
Anyhow, I'm probably gonna be signing up for a membership in the next couple days. I'm waiting for my son to come by the house to make sure I can get the payment and everything to go through over the Internet. He's my "go to" on all things electronic...
Again, thanks. And thanks to everyone else on here as well. It's nice to be reminded that there are still some "regular folks" out there who will offer a kind word to a fellow man, though they've never met.

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Apr 23 2017, 07:22 AM
Post #11

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

QUOTE (ChuckD @ Apr 22 2017, 10:28 PM) *
CP...
Thank you sir, for the warm welcome! Yes, I can already tell that this club has good people in it. They've already made me feel very welcome and I look forward to someday meeting them in person.
I've gotta mention something right quick... After getting your response, I looked at your profile and noticed your date of birth and that you are 51 yrs of age. Well, it reminded me that I, too, was born in '65 and haven't had my birthday yet this year... I had mistakenly posted earlier that I was 52 when in fact I'm only 51! Best news I've had all day!
Anyhow, I'm probably gonna be signing up for a membership in the next couple days. I'm waiting for my son to come by the house to make sure I can get the payment and everything to go through over the Internet. He's my "go to" on all things electronic...
Again, thanks. And thanks to everyone else on here as well. It's nice to be reminded that there are still some "regular folks" out there who will offer a kind word to a fellow man, though they've never met.

Ain't being retired at 50-something great! Hit 50 this ye ar and I've been retired for 1.5 years already. ,ore time for prospecting!

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
ChuckD
post Apr 23 2017, 01:46 PM
Post #12

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (Crusty @ Apr 23 2017, 09:22 AM) *
Ain't being retired at 50-something great! Hit 50 this ye ar and I've been retired for 1.5 years already. ,ore time for prospecting!

It definitely has it's moments!

+Quote Post
johnnybravo300
post Apr 23 2017, 10:43 PM
Post #13

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 120,659

When I turn 50 I'll have my first colonoscopy to look forward to before I head off to work for the day.

--------------------
Level 2 member -12/25/16
Referral code JL697

+Quote Post
ChuckD
post Apr 24 2017, 11:45 AM
Post #14

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (johnnybravo300 @ Apr 24 2017, 12:43 AM) *
When I turn 50 I'll have my first colonoscopy to look forward to before I head off to work for the day.

Lol...
Unfortunately, the "50's" seem to be the gateway to more and more DR visits... I'm literally sitting here at the house right now, waiting for my afternoon DR's appointment on some lab work and to see if I'm gonna have to go see a back specialist.. Are these the "golden years"?. Barring any really bad news, I'm then heading up to Giddings, Tx (3-1/2 hrs) to my brother's house so I can have my truck at the dealership I bought it from first thing in the AM. I ran into some issues the other day on the alignment. I had a lift put on my truck from the factory, and it now appears that they didn't allow for future front end "alignment"... I've got to get everything in tip-top shape in preparation for a trip to Colorado!

+Quote Post
ChuckD
post Apr 25 2017, 07:40 AM
Post #15

Diggin' In!

Ok folks... I'm now sitting at Toyota in Brenham, Tx. I've gotta few minutes (probably HOURS), so I thought I'd mention something that happened a couple days ago, and perhaps someone with some experience can help me out.
I received a "sample pak" from Felix Paydirt. I set up to pan it from a 14" pan into a larger pan. The sample packet is about a teaspoon of material. I empty the packet into my pan and introduce water. I lift the pan up to look at it, and instantly a see what I can only describe as glittering dust, ALL OVER the pan bottom. You really can't even see a particle- just a glimmer in the sunlight. It has a yellowish tint to it, so I'm thinking... gold dust? The second I start the panning motion, I notice these glittering particles immediately start working their way up the riffles. Well, this is going to be IMPOSSIBLE. I mean the sand (tan in color, with a few grains of what I guess to be "black sand") doesn't even move, but these glittering "gold" particles ride up the riffles like stampeding cattle. Well, keep in mind, that this is literally the first raw gold I've ever laid eyes on... and I don't want to lose ANY of it! Well, after several minutes of starting, stopping, and "re-stratifying" it, I realize that I am just gonna have to let the "gold dust" go, because it starts to move before even the sand does. So, anyway, I pan this out, say bye to the dust, then the tan sand and 8 granules of black sand, and end up with 3 flakes of gold. I'm happy but frustrated at my inability to stop the gold dust from heading out. I go inside and start reading and watching videos and come to the conclusion that HOPEFULLY the "gold dust" was actually mica. Because if it wasn't, I'm HORRIBLE at this. I expect a long "learning curve," but... I mean, the very second you move the pan even a little bit, this stuff was dispersing EVERYWHERE... I've received a two pound packet of paydirt for 30 bucks, but I ain't about to touch it, if I'm really this horrible at panning. I had no problem with the three VERY small flakes but if that was really gold... what a waste! What say you folks?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:12 AM