ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Beekeeping...., it's all about the BUZZZZZZZZ!
Caveman
post Jan 6 2015, 05:58 PM
Post #1

Master Mucker!

Group: Members
Member No.: 41,357

Starting a new hobby this year. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif For Christmas, I got a new Top Bar Hive to put together for my garden. signs021.gif Still trying to decide if I want to manage it for honey, or just let 'em have it for their own use. I also have to decide whether to try attracting a swarm (there's one here the beginning of every June, like clockwork), capturing a swam (easy to do, most of the time), or just buying them (advantages and disadvantages to that). Buying them - they may not be acclimated or suited to the area, and have trouble adapting. Attracting or capturing a feral swarm gets you local bees that are acclimated to the area, but honey production may be lower. As I'm not really leaning to harvesting honey, that may be the best route; however, a set of bees comes with the kit. Decisions, decisions..... rolleyes.gif

As for bears, the books STRONGLY advises an electrical fence, the solar type for cattle. Already have to put up a fence for the deer, so this isn't an issue.... I planned space in the garden for the bees already. Planting rocky mountain bee plant (a season long bloomer) for the bees, and on the positive side, it's a Colorado and area native! Plus, I have cactus, pinion pine, and other native wildflowers, and I'm planting more native wildflowers to boot. Unfortunately, like prospecting and most of my other new hobbies, I do not know a damn thing about it... Gonna BEE fun!

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
World Traveler, 7 Continent Walker
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER
Referral Code: SE2104
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:14 PM