ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mt. Ida, Arkansas Crystal Mining, Where to go for a noob
BadKarma
post Sep 25 2009, 06:10 AM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,265

I'm wanting to get away for a weekend of playing in the dirt. Can someone suggest a crystal mine for a noob to go?

Thanks

Lee
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CP
post Sep 25 2009, 07:24 AM
Post #2

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Hi Lee,

Sounds like a fun trip for sure. Here is a link to the Fiddlers Ridge rock shop and they also operate the Bear Mt. Quartz Crystal Mine.
Jim and Kathy are the owners, tell them hi from the Colorado Prospector website too when ya' get there. happy088.gif
Fiddlers Ridge rock shop

There is also the crater of diamonds state park too, that would be a good place to visit while in Arkansas on your adventures.
Crater of Diamonds State Park

Both of these places are suppose to be a great adventure and I might suggest you have some classifying screens to take with for tools along with all the buckets, shovels, picks, and safety glasses.
If you'd like to build your own in different screen size ranges, we have a free set of plans to make them for just a couple $$ each from 5 gallon buckets.
You can find those plans along with several other projects on our plans and tips page.

Have a great time while there and good luck. emoticon-misc-004.gif
Don't forget the camera as well, we all would love to see some pics later.
char098.gif

CP

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
BadKarma
post Sep 25 2009, 07:48 AM
Post #3

Diggin' In!

Thanks for the reply and advice CP. The Crater of Diamonds is on the list for sure. How fine a screen should I get down to for the diamonds?

I don't know if you remember, but I was trying to put together a trip out there around y'all last year, but my son got sick and I lost him to cancer in April 2008, he was 18. It's taken this long to get back on my feet and I thought I could use a get away for a few days.

Thanks

Lee

+Quote Post
CP
post Sep 25 2009, 08:46 AM
Post #4

Master Mucker!

You're very welcome Lee, glad to help when I can.

Yes I do remember and we are very sorry for the loss of your son. Our thoughts have been with your family since then and always will be too.

We are happy to see you planning a trip to prospect, bet it will be a good trip.
smile.gif
Let us know if you can get out to Colorado, there are some pretty spiffy crystal spots here too.

CP

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator

+Quote Post
BadKarma
post Sep 28 2009, 01:04 PM
Post #5

Diggin' In!

Thank you very much CP.

And thats a great how to about the bucket classifier. Gonna make me a couple if I can find some screen small enough for the Crater of Diamonds!!!

I'll try and get some pics, but I'm going solo so that might be a bit tough. But I'll try. It'll be good to get away and camp for a few days, if nothing else. happy070.gif

+Quote Post
CP
post Sep 29 2009, 08:42 AM
Post #6

Master Mucker!

Glad you like the classifier plans Lee, and thank you for the compliments.
We usually find the different sizes at the hardware store sold as hardware cloth, but for smaller sizes you might need to look at the metal screen material too.
I'm not sure what size would be best for the crater park diamonds but maybe someone who's visited there before can chyme in with that info.
anyone.gif

Have a great time with all the adventures planned, sure you'll enjoy sometime out camping. happy070.gif

CP

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator

+Quote Post
EMac
post Nov 15 2016, 09:07 AM
Post #7

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 117,949

I'm headed to the Crater of Diamonds next week on the way to visit family for Thanksgiving. Any pointers from folks who have been there?

--------------------
Lifetime Member
opera non verba

"All courses of action are risky, so prudence is not in avoiding danger (it's impossible), but calculating risk and acting decisively. Make mistakes of ambition and not mistakes of sloth. Develop the strength to do bold things, not the strength to suffer." ~Niccolò Machiavelli

Ref Code:

EM448

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Nov 15 2016, 10:06 AM
Post #8

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

QUOTE (EMac @ Nov 15 2016, 08:07 AM) *
I'm headed to the Crater of Diamonds next week on the way to visit family for Thanksgiving. Any pointers from folks who have been there?

Cool! Look forward to hearing about the dig! Enjoy your turkey day with family!

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
GeoMatt
post Nov 15 2016, 07:58 PM
Post #9

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 117,968

QUOTE (EMac @ Nov 15 2016, 08:07 AM) *

I did some work for the family that owns the lamproite across the highway from the park (Twin Knobs #1), and have spent about a 1/2 day at the park. A few pointers.....

• Be prepared for mud. I'd take a pair of rubber boots in my kit.
  • Watch some videos on line about how to sieve for gems. They have sieves you can rent (square), or you can make/buy a saruca to bring with you. (Round pan, roughly 16 mesh - I like the mesh to dip in the middle as opposed to tightly pulled across the span).
  • Learn what a rough diamond looks like. They aren't all clear or yellow at the Crater, lots of "burnt" stones there.
  • Bring some buckets and a small shovel to haul dirt to the wash areas. A wagon can be nice, but the ground is pretty rough, big air-filled tires would be best.
  • There are numerous "daily" diggers there. They seem to be concentrated to the west and the south (epiclastic and pyroclastic crater facies), not much apparent activity on the eastern lobe (magmatic lamproite). The regulars have their own wash areas set up on a semi-permanent basis.

There is generally two trains of thought for short visits to the crater: 1) move alot of dirt and get lucky, or 2) walk around looking at alot of surface and get lucky.

It's fun whether you find anything or not. I didn't find any diamonds in the park, but I do have a piece of the lamproite sitting on a shelf in my office.

Also, Pike County is a dry county, if you want a beer bring some with you, or be prepared to drive. The Timbers - decent beer, bad food, and sometimes live music - is about ten minutes from Mufreesboro towards Nashville and is a serviceable establishment with some potential. Locals were always nice.

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Nov 16 2016, 06:30 AM
Post #10

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

Thanks Geomatt!! Great advice!!

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
EMac
post Nov 16 2016, 11:12 AM
Post #11

Rock Bar!

Excellent advice; thank you sir!

--------------------
Lifetime Member
opera non verba

"All courses of action are risky, so prudence is not in avoiding danger (it's impossible), but calculating risk and acting decisively. Make mistakes of ambition and not mistakes of sloth. Develop the strength to do bold things, not the strength to suffer." ~Niccolò Machiavelli

Ref Code:

EM448

+Quote Post
EMac
post Nov 17 2016, 12:06 PM
Post #12

Rock Bar!

Looks like Murfreesboro is getting some rain on Friday, which I hope bodes well for a Sunday dig. Mmm...mud.

--------------------
Lifetime Member
opera non verba

Ref Code:

EM448

+Quote Post
EMac
post Dec 16 2016, 09:33 AM
Post #13

Rock Bar!

I didn't find anything exciting, but someone did last Sunday: 1.73 carat

--------------------
Lifetime Member
opera non verba

Ref Code:

EM448

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:20 AM