ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

where to prospect around Grand Junction, Where to prospect around Grand Junction
BETCHAMAN
post Jan 2 2007, 09:31 AM
Post #1

Observer

Group: Members
Member No.: 820

I'm new to the Grand Junction area (and Colorado) and would like to get some ideas of where to prospect for gold in the Grand Junction/North Western part of Colorado. Pan/Sluice/MD.
Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
CP
post Jan 3 2007, 12:11 PM
Post #2

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Hi Betchaman,
Welocme to Colorado and the CP forums.
I don't personally know where to direct you off hand but hopefully one of the other forum users will pop in and give you some info.
Until then, make yourself right at home and browse around.

CP

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
goldfinger
post Jan 16 2007, 07:55 PM
Post #3

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 876

i also live in Grand Junction, there is a place just outside of Delta about 10 miles west towards Grand Junction. If you take Highway 50 East of the Grand Junction you will be looking for road sign called Rattlesnake Gulch you want to turn right there. If you're trying to go while the road is wet you will need a 4 Wheel Drive. Follow the road to the bottom of the hill and continue on the road through the big mud pit after that you will see where the road crosses the rare road tracks as soon as you cross the tracks go to the left follow that about half of a mile till the road ends and you will see where everyone has been digging. The gold there is fine but I've heard of some small match head sized nuggets coming from their. The other place you can go as close to Grand Junction is about 12 miles south of Gateway on the river. GPS coordinates are 33.32 North and 54.06 West that is dead center of the claim you will need to be a GPA a member to go to that one. I hope this helps. If you ever need anyone to go with you can e-mail me at lwillow@bresnan.net

wink.gif

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Jan 21 2007, 04:13 PM
Post #4

Master Mucker

Member No.: 98

I'll give you a few locations if you want. I think the GPAA claim that Goldfinger is talking about is, IIRC, east of Gateway not south. Hard to go south unless you go through Sinbad valley/Salt Creek or over John Brown Mesa.

As for gold panning in GJ, you can do it right there. I lived in Appleton for 17 years and used to go down to the old Black Bridge site on the Gunnison. To get to it you go down 5th street on US 50 across the Colorado River to the first stop light at the dairy. Hang a right. Follow the directions to the former Dept. of Energy/Oak Ridge site, and wen you get to the bottom of the hill, there's a road that goes to your right (before you cross the railroad tracks). Hang a right. Follow that to where you cross the tracks by the Gunnison river and after you cross there, there's a pull off on your right. Pull in and park there. Now you have a lot of areas to pan. You can get the bank material or you can dig out of the river. Best to check with the Colorado State Parks office over by Corn Lake as I think it's now part of the state park. Lat time I checked with them they didn't care if I panned.

You can always call Dr. Del Foutz as well. He did a book on Gold Panning the Colorado River. If ya call him, tell him I said howdy, will ya? Back before they turned the Horsethief canyon area into part of a mineral withdrawal area I used to go down on Crow Bottom and found that to be the best in the area. At times I found more there on the Colorado in Crow Bottom than I would find on the Dolores.

I'm in Buena Vista right now, but I plan on visiting the GJ area again soon for a week or so and plan on dipping my pan a few times. Let me know how to get ahold of ya and maybe I can show you a few places.
carl

wink.gif

--------------------
Today's socio-political climate is rock solid proof that Adam and Eve weren't prospectors.
If they were they'd have eaten the snake instead of the apple and we'd still be in heaven....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:24 AM