ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
My Keene P90 Pump is Mucked
swizz
post Jun 20 2011, 09:10 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,983

Hi,
I could use any tips on clearing this clogged P90 on my dredge. I shut it down when I realized it was clogged so I'm fairly confident that no serious damage occurred internally.
It's clogged with vegetation and gravel. Definitely my fault as I failed to bring my foot-valve filtration bucket on the last trip.... should have known better than to run it without, especially in the water I was dredging. Live and learn. I could have done a better job of field improvisation (IAO wink.gif ) to have prevented this.
Anyway.... I could use some tips on manually clearing this without having to tear it down and buy a new seal kit. I'd like to use it again within the next week and if I have to order a new seal kit I'll be out of the water until it gets here. Can I just remove the large allen-wrench casing bolts and clear it by hand? Looks like only a cork seal for the casing and I believe I can can purchase gasket cork from the local Car Quest to re-assemble it once cleared.
Any help or tips would be appreciated before I start taking it apart.
Thanks!

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
leonard
post Jun 20 2011, 04:49 PM
Post #2

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 84

QUOTE (swizz @ Jun 20 2011, 09:10 AM) *
Anyway.... I could use some tips on manually clearing this without having to tear it down and buy a new seal kit.

On my 4" I've had the pump apart several times and not had to replace the seals or the gaskets. They weren't cork though. I've had my dredge around 10 years and not replaced anything on the pump. I've had to take it apart several time when I 1, changed the engine, and 2, replaced the compressor belt.

Leonard

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jun 20 2011, 06:14 PM
Post #3

Thanks Leonard, and thanks for the reply on golddredger forums also. I'm going to try the reverse flush first.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
russau
post Jun 21 2011, 05:15 AM
Post #4

russau

Member No.: 43

Swizz to remove the volute it isnt any problem and its not near the pump seal. theres a small gasket that usually dont get damaged when you pull this part off. remember to use some anti seize lubracant on the threads when you reinstall that part. looks like you need to put your footvalve into a bucket full of small holes to prevent this from happening again!

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jun 21 2011, 07:18 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (russau @ Jun 21 2011, 05:15 AM) *
looks like you need to put your footvalve into a bucket full of small holes to prevent this from happening again!

Correct.
That is what I normally do but I had forgotten my foot valve filtration bucket on this trip. In fact, the only buckets I had on this trip were of the collapsible variety and could not be modified to work as a foot filter.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
burrell
post Aug 27 2012, 06:56 AM
Post #6

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 42,369

QUOTE (swizz @ Jun 21 2011, 08:18 AM) *
Correct.
That is what I normally do but I had forgotten my foot valve filtration bucket on this trip. In fact, the only buckets I had on this trip were of the collapsible variety and could not be modified to work as a foot filter.

I made a filteration (double cylender ) for my 2.5 combo out of 1x1/2 fish trap wire. Its still small in diameter(coffee can size) but seems to work well. I have been figuring on one the size of a dry wall bucket. The wire is coated some what easier on the hands and your foot valve in the inercylender. The incylender needs a hair of slope. 1" mesh will probably work as well. This just something i thought i would add.

+Quote Post
swizz
post Aug 27 2012, 07:12 AM
Post #7

Great idea!

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:16 AM