ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Grant , Co/Geneva Creek
RichDColorado
post Jul 16 2009, 07:43 PM
Post #1

Shovel Buster!

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,577

I think I'm going to take a drive this Sat 7/18 to Grant and try some panning on Geneva Creek up around Guanella Pass. Has anyone tried that area with any success. It looks like a lot of national forest, but I don't know about claims to watch for. Last minute plan, but is anyone interested in meeting somewhere up there to pan/work together?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nm jack
post Jul 17 2009, 07:03 AM
Post #2

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 3,582

Wish I was closer Rich I'd sure go with you. I hope you, west slope and some of the other members can meet up with some of the rest of for Labor day. The 4th outing was great.

+Quote Post
scrounge
post Jul 17 2009, 01:53 PM
Post #3

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 3,616

I haven't been on this site for awhile. Coincidentally I was planning to go to the same general area or around Deckers....

+Quote Post
RichDColorado
post Jul 17 2009, 02:05 PM
Post #4

Shovel Buster!

QUOTE (scrounge @ Jul 17 2009, 02:53 PM) *
I haven't been on this site for awhile. Coincidentally I was planning to go to the same general area or around Deckers....

Right now the plan is to go out of Grant on Guanells Pass road and try a few spots along Geneva Creek, maybe along the forest road (119 I believe), hopefully mid-morning.

+Quote Post
scrounge
post Jul 17 2009, 02:10 PM
Post #5

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (RichDColorado @ Jul 17 2009, 03:05 PM) *
Right now the plan is to go out of Grant on Guanells Pass road and try a few spots along Geneva Creek, maybe along the forest road (119 I believe), hopefully mid-morning.

I know the general area but never explored it, always going past on my way to the area around Jefferson. Maybe I'll see ya out there. Can't miss my truck, a yellow GMC 4 wl P/U.

+Quote Post
RichDColorado
post Jul 17 2009, 02:17 PM
Post #6

Shovel Buster!

QUOTE (scrounge @ Jul 17 2009, 03:10 PM) *
I know the general area but never explored it, always going past on my way to the area around Jefferson. Maybe I'll see ya out there. Can't miss my truck, a yellow GMC 4 wl P/U.

I'll keep an eye out for you. I drive a Dodge Dakota, maroon color with a topper.

+Quote Post
scrounge
post Jul 20 2009, 03:26 PM
Post #7

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (RichDColorado @ Jul 17 2009, 03:17 PM) *
I'll keep an eye out for you. I drive a Dodge Dakota, maroon color with a topper.

Went up Geneva Creek Saturday for the first time. Very interesting. Relatively rugged. Afterward, I found out about the ghost town, smelter, and mine at the end of 119, did not go that far up. Panned a little didn't find anything. Metal detected a little, lots of iron up there. Poking around another mine tailings, found a nice pyrite nugget, a couple of pieces of quartz with metal(silver or gold, very small samples). Found what I beleive to be silver, and what I think might be wolframite. I will go back.

I did not have the good fortune of running into Rich up there. But there were a crapload of people up in that mess. I had no idea there would be that many people and trucks all over. A good day all in all, have every intention of camping up there soon.

+Quote Post
CP
post Jul 20 2009, 04:39 PM
Post #8

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Awesome Scrounge!

Sounds like you had a great day and adventure outdoors with some cool finds to take home as well. happy088.gif We'd all love to see some pics of the trip and finds if ya' got em'. char098.gif biggrin.gif

Good luck on the next adventure there too.

CP

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
RichDColorado
post Jul 20 2009, 07:28 PM
Post #9

Shovel Buster!

Scrounge - Sorry I missed you as well. I went Saturday morning, got to Grant about 10 and turned on FR119 as well. Went as far along Geneva Creek as I felt comfortable, where the dirt road rutted out pretty badly just past most of the camps. Decided to not press my luck as I was alone and didn't feel like breaking down - wish I had an ATV or horse. Stopped and panned a few places in the creek with minimal results - a few specks looked small under a 10x loupe. I would like to have gone farther up that road. I didn't know anything about a ghost town or smelter, but do want to head back up that way again this summer. May have to park and plan on hiking in a ways in which case I'll plan on an earlier start.

+Quote Post
ColoradoP
post Aug 2 2017, 03:00 PM
Post #10

Observer

Member No.: 133,889

QUOTE (RichDColorado @ Jul 16 2009, 08:43 PM) *
I think I'm going to take a drive this Sat 7/18 to Grant and try some panning on Geneva Creek up around Guanella Pass. Has anyone tried that area with any success. It looks like a lot of national forest, but I don't know about claims to watch for. Last minute plan, but is anyone interested in meeting somewhere up there to pan/work together?

I own 2 claims in the area u r talking,,,did you do well?

+Quote Post
MikeS
post Aug 2 2017, 04:06 PM
Post #11

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 116,265

Welcome to the forums ColoradoP! sign0016.gif

I know the area fairly well but I have not tried prospecting there. I hope the claims are treating you well.

There is lots of great information on the forums. Feel free to ask questions. Rich D may not respond. Looks like these posts were made 8 years ago.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:27 AM