ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
About the private claim on Clear Creek
hootsmeister
post Jun 1 2010, 07:37 PM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,202

I happened to be at the Gold-N-Detectors store in Golden last week. I had heard mentioned, on a previous visit, that the owner was "going to be at his private claim on Clear Creek".

Now, being a bona fide greenhorn gold prospector, the last thing I want is to claim jump. So, I asked about the whereabouts of this private claim of Bill Chapman, proprietor of the store.

He said they hadn't shot any claim jumpers recently tongue.gif , and if I wanted to have a clear conscience about panning on or near this private claim, all I had to do was sign a disclaimer, releasing the claim owner from liability.

Jeepers! Sounded like a great deal to me! Unfortunately, Bill didn't have any forms handy, so I went back Monday morning (they were open until noon on Memorial Day), and signed the waiver. It was just like Bill had said -- it releases the claim owner from any accident -- rattlesnake bite, carpal tunnel syndrome, whatever -- that might befall a prospector there.

He also told me a bit of history as to why he maintains the claim. Seems that Jefferson County would like to ban panning along that 12+ miles of river. And Bill has successfully fought for his (and by extension, our) right to pan.

He also told me that motorized dredges and such are allowed along Clear Creek, up to State Highway 119.

So, if you want to not worry about being a claim jumper, stop in and see Bill. Call ahead, as he's not always on the premises. Also, get the complete story of the political shenanigans that politicians play with our right to do a little 'panning now and then.

Last -- the river is running high, fast, and powerful. Be very, very careful on Clear Creek right now -- it would be easy to get pulled off your feet and swept downstream.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Jun 2 2010, 06:52 AM
Post #2

Master Mucker

Member No.: 98

Mmmmmmm! Think of all the gold that's moving with that water!

Flakes-o'plenty!
Dust by the handfuls!
Nuggets the size of Volvos!

Well, ok, maybe the size of a Z scale Volvo.... smiley-laughing021.gif

--------------------
Today's socio-political climate is rock solid proof that Adam and Eve weren't prospectors.
If they were they'd have eaten the snake instead of the apple and we'd still be in heaven....

+Quote Post
CP
post Jun 4 2010, 08:02 AM
Post #3

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Hi Hootsmeister, thanks for the post and good luck at the private claim, you'll have a great chance to find some nice color there.

I'd like to clarify a little more about this specific claim for the club members here, that claim is actually BLM land completely surrounded by privately owned land of Jefferson county open space. Being it's BLM land, then Jefferson county cleary can not dictate, regulate, or prohibit activities on that location claim as they have no jurisdiction/authority over that land.

How ever, they do have authority to do so on the rest of Clear creek up to the county line as that is all open space the county owns. I don't see why they'd want to stop panning and sluicing if dredging is suppose to be ok though?
I'd call the county offices and ask them for their actual rules at anyrate, as I understood it they would rather not have motorized but panning and sluicing was what is allowed.

Good luck out there everyone, and stay safe.

CP

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
CP
post Jun 8 2010, 10:01 AM
Post #4

Master Mucker!

I've moved this thread from club members protected forum.

CP

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator

+Quote Post
Forestwalker
post Jun 8 2010, 10:22 AM
Post #5

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 7,013

That's what Red told me, if you go in and ask he will let you on his claim. I always figured it was a promo for his store but maybe there is more too it.

Seems hard to believe they would want to stop prospecting, not like there is anything to protect that river is trashed to hell and full of mercury.. Looks like inner city canals and is worse than a lot I have seen in New England which was surprising to me since people have only been there since the 1800s.

--------------------
Must... Find... A diamond!

+Quote Post
CP
post Jun 9 2010, 08:52 AM
Post #6

Master Mucker!

Hi Forestwalker,

I think you may be confusing north clear creek with clear creek itself. The north branch comes down from Gilpin county (Blackhawk/Central City) while the main clear creek comes down through Georgetown and Idaho Springs.

Main clear creek could definately have mercury in it since the Argo mine/mill upstream used alot of it in the old days to process ores, it's not trashed out though.
From the confluence downstream on the main creek is the Jefferson county open space, good panning and sluicing area.

North clear creek has alot of mine drainage (acid) which has affected that tributary (dirty brown water and staining) from Blackhawk on down to the main creek confluence. The north branch is all private land along the creek from the county line at the confluence on up to Blackhawk.

Mercury can often be found naturally in many places too, Boulder county is actually where the ore (cinnabar) was discovered back in the old days.

CP

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator

+Quote Post
nuggetstosmall
post Jun 9 2010, 04:50 PM
Post #7

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 6,834

Mistake

+Quote Post
Boogie
post Jun 9 2010, 09:18 PM
Post #8

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 7,248

QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ Jun 9 2010, 09:52 AM) *
Mercury can often be found naturally in many places too, Boulder county is actually where the ore (cinnabar) was discovered back in the old days.

CP

Mercury
Boulder County
Mental Illness

It's all starting to make sense.

--------------------
peto metallum honestus

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Jun 14 2010, 07:01 AM
Post #9

Master Mucker

Member No.: 98

Boogie, I disagree. Hg poisoning is an excuse. The maniacal idiocy the libtards have is totally inexcusable.
If they were animals they would be euthenized out of concerns of rabies.

BTW, I'm wondering about that, because it sounds like it's either Leonard's or close to Leonard's claim. I guess.....ask Leonard for details?

--------------------
Today's socio-political climate is rock solid proof that Adam and Eve weren't prospectors.
If they were they'd have eaten the snake instead of the apple and we'd still be in heaven....

+Quote Post
Boogie
post Jun 14 2010, 07:18 AM
Post #10

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 7,248

QUOTE (Coalbunny @ Jun 14 2010, 07:01 AM) *
Boogie, I disagree. Hg poisoning is an excuse. The maniacal idiocy the libtards have is totally inexcusable.
If they were animals they would be euthenized out of concerns of rabies.

BTW, I'm wondering about that, because it sounds like it's either Leonard's or close to Leonard's claim. I guess.....ask Leonard for details?

Coalbunny,

I'm still not convinced that there isn't some chromosome damage or some sort of local anomoly that would concentrate such behavior in one place. Euthanasia is a good start but a little too humane if you ask me.

Boogie.

--------------------
peto metallum honestus

+Quote Post
Forestwalker
post Jun 14 2010, 06:50 PM
Post #11

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 7,013

Last time I was there I dug up a rusty open folding knife, a huge 10 pound chunk of rusty unknown iron, and two railroad spikes along with loads of smaller lead and pieces of unknown metals. Its the most trashed river I have ever played around in honestly... or maybe I was just in a good spot lol.

--------------------
Must... Find... A diamond!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:08 AM