ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Colorado Jasper
CP
post Oct 18 2008, 02:07 PM
Post #1

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Historically Colorado jasper was used exstensively by the native american indians as knapping material.
Found in a wide variety of colors around the state.

Recent finds from Park county Colorado
Nice piece with vibrant color! happy088.gif
Attached Image

Red and yellow pieces.
Attached Image

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
russau
post Oct 20 2008, 05:17 AM
Post #2

russau

Group: Members
Member No.: 43

i went to a spot last year and picked up two 5 gallon buckets full of red jasper and red banded jasper in about 1 hour. i had some jewlery made out of a peice. my wife really likes it. wants more!!

+Quote Post
Denise
post Oct 22 2008, 06:44 AM
Post #3

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 4

Jasper is fun stuff, thats for sure. Im working on knaping a few pieces into looking like fall colored leaves.
We also have a batch in the tumbler right now...Just a few days to go until done. bop.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Denise
post Jun 5 2009, 08:22 AM
Post #4

Master Mucker!

Lots of people think of Jasper Colorado when mentioning Colorados Jasper,
so I thought I would put a link in to their website. What an amazingly beautiful place tucked away here in Colorado! happy088.gif

Attached Image

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
nm jack
post Jun 5 2009, 03:05 PM
Post #5

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 3,582

happy088.gif Looks like a real pretty spot. Any Jasper there?? stirthepot.gif

+Quote Post
Denise
post Jun 6 2009, 07:43 AM
Post #6

Master Mucker!

Im not sure, the township was bought by a developer and all private.
Lots of forest service land in the surrounding area though.
biggrin.gif

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Phil(NM)
post Aug 27 2009, 03:40 PM
Post #7

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 100

QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ Oct 18 2008, 01:07 PM) *
Historically Colorado jasper was used exstensively by the native american indians as knapping material.
Found in a wide variety of colors around the state.

Recent finds from Park county Colorado
Nice piece with vibrant color! happy088.gif
Attached Image

Red and yellow pieces.
Attached Image

OOoooooooo. I'm so jealous! Wish I could find Jasper like that here for knapping... Any chance you'd tell me off forum where you collected all that? A couple buckets would probably be worth it to me to drive up from Albuquerque. Does it need heat treatment at all for knapping?

Thanks,
Phil

+Quote Post
CP
post Aug 29 2009, 12:06 PM
Post #8

Master Mucker!

That particular batch was from southwestern park county off of trout creek pass a ways. There are some private parcels out that way as well as a state owned wilderness area so watch where you trek as you want to make sure you are still on the FS land. Really nice scenery in that area too! char098.gif

Not sure on the heat treatment as I've not done any knapping. As I understand from reading, the heating was used to make larger pieces flake into desirable preforms? You may find some that are large enough to need that but most of what's pictured is small already.
It sure looks like it would do very nicely for knapping and it takes a nice polish in the tumbler, good and solid.

CP

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator

+Quote Post
Denise
post Aug 30 2009, 06:28 AM
Post #9

Master Mucker!

Colorado has some fantastic Jasper. happy088.gif
Here is a small piece I found the other day in Mineral county.

Attached Image

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Phil(NM)
post Aug 30 2009, 03:20 PM
Post #10

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 100

QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ Aug 29 2009, 11:06 AM) *
That particular batch was from southwestern park county off of trout creek pass a ways. There are some private parcels out that way as well as a state owned wilderness area so watch where you trek as you want to make sure you are still on the FS land. Really nice scenery in that area too! char098.gif

Thanks. That kinda leave it a little too vague to drive hundreds of miles to try and collect.. If you ever decide to share a little more specific details, you can always email me off-forum if you don't want the world to know (totally understandable)

QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ Aug 29 2009, 11:06 AM) *
Not sure on the heat treatment as I've not done any knapping. As I understand from reading, the heating was used to make larger pieces flake into desirable preforms? You may find some that are large enough to need that but most of what's pictured is small already.
It sure looks like it would do very nicely for knapping and it takes a nice polish in the tumbler, good and solid.
CP

Some or maybe most jaspers need the heating to make the material more lithic and thus knappable. Not all jasper is knappable even if heated. That is pretty stuf and would make for some really nice points, even if they are small "bird" points (A misnomer if ever there was one).

Thanks again,
Phil

+Quote Post
CP
post Sep 3 2009, 09:38 AM
Post #11

Master Mucker!

QUOTE (Phil(NM) @ Aug 30 2009, 03:20 PM) *
Thanks. That kinda leave it a little too vague to drive hundreds of miles to try and collect.. If you ever decide to share a little more specific details, you can always email me off-forum if you don't want the world to know (totally understandable)

Actually we have been doing some research in this area and when final details are completed, it will be added as one of the new club members researched prospecting areas with all the specifics. happy088.gif I bet there are quite a few club members who might want to cab some of this stuff too. smile.gif

CP

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator

+Quote Post
Gold_Barnstormer
post Sep 6 2009, 05:54 PM
Post #12

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 6,988

Hello Mr. and Mrs. CP. I'm a recent member of the prospector's club. I joined with Swizz. Gold was our passion but it has switched to rockhounding for me. I have many questions regarding this topic but for now I'd like to know about jasper. Can you tell me when someone considers a rock jasper or chert? I've collected many rocks that I thought were jasper but I've been told they were chert. And what about flint? All I see listed for Colorado is Jasper, not chert and not flint. Is there a difference in the eye of the collector, gem maker, slab specimen, etc. Thanks so much for your help, especially with newbie questions.
G_B

+Quote Post
CP
post Sep 7 2009, 10:32 AM
Post #13

Master Mucker!

Hi GB and welcome, make yourself right at home in the forums. We are all very glad to have you aboard. happy088.gif
Firstly, I can not be held responsible for the worsening "rock fever" you will be enduring from now on.
biggrin.gif All I can say is, start collecting up buckets now, you'll need a head start.

Q's will keep coming up too and we all love em', keep em' coming.
We have a thread going that has some great info on the cherts and flints in the quartz sub varieties. That thread is titled "Mineral Id'ing" in the prospectors discussions section.
Basically chert and flint are both rocks (not minerals) and they are catagorized in the quartz family sub varieties. Flint is described as granular cryptocrystalline variety of quartz and chert also a cryptocrystalline variety.
There are both found in similar situations to form but slightly different environments (still trying to figure that part out myself) wacko.gif sedimentary formations such as limestone, chalk, and rhyolites can host them. Both chert and flint are opaque too where as chalcedonys and agates will be translucent.

Flint is generally viewed as darker colored and chert being lighter in color.....usually, but not always. spock.gif Chert also is known to have alot of fossils from algea, bacteria and micro organisms.

Now, jasper also being a sub of quartz is described as a dense, opaque, microcrystalline variety of quartz, usually red, brown or yellow.

Whew, there is alot of info on these. smile.gif You can check out more on this from Mindat's quartz page, scroll down to varieties to find links to jasper, chert, and flint. Awesome database Mindat has, just great for learning the details of stuff like this. signs021.gif

Lets see some pics of all the cool stuff soon too. happy088.gif
Hope we didn't make the "rock fever" too much worse today.
excited.gif

CP

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator

+Quote Post
Gold_Barnstormer
post Sep 7 2009, 03:22 PM
Post #14

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 6,988

QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ Sep 7 2009, 11:32 AM) *
Hi GB and welcome, make yourself right at home in the forums. We are all very glad to have you aboard. happy088.gif
Firstly, I can not be held responsible for the worsening "rock fever" you will be enduring from now on.
biggrin.gif All I can say is, start collecting up buckets now, you'll need a head start.

Q's will keep coming up too and we all love em', keep em' coming.
We have a thread going that has some great info on the cherts and flints in the quartz sub varieties. That thread is titled "Mineral Id'ing" in the prospectors discussions section.
Basically chert and flint are both rocks (not minerals) and they are catagorized in the quartz family sub varieties. Flint is described as granular cryptocrystalline variety of quartz and chert also a cryptocrystalline variety.
There are both found in similar situations to form but slightly different environments (still trying to figure that part out myself) wacko.gif sedimentary formations such as limestone, chalk, and rhyolites can host them. Both chert and flint are opaque too where as chalcedonys and agates will be translucent.

Chert generally veiwed as darker colored and flint being lighter in color.....usually, but not always. spock.gif Chert also is known to have alot of fossils from algea, bacteria and micro organisms.

Now, jasper also being a sub of quartz is described as a dense, opaque, microcrystalline variety of quartz, usually red, brown or yellow.

Whew, there is alot of info on these. smile.gif You can check out more on this from Mindat's quartz page, scroll down to varieties to find links to jasper, chert, and flint. Awesome database Mindat has, just great for learning the details of stuff like this. signs021.gif

Lets see some pics of all the cool stuff soon too. happy088.gif
Hope we didn't make the "rock fever" too much worse today.
excited.gif

CP

Here are some specimens I found in my neck of the woods......Jasper?
G_B
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Denise
post Sep 8 2009, 06:18 AM
Post #15

Master Mucker!

Fantastic pieces GB! happy088.gif

I found a piece just the other day that looked like the little black one in your last pic.
Im thinking that one is a flint because of its color, but Im learning too.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Good luck out there, and stay safe!

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:49 PM