ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Magnetometer, Anyone Using a Mag?
GeneYo
post Mar 31 2008, 08:38 AM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,184

wacko.gif Is anyone out there using a Magnetometer for prospecting for gold or other precious metals in the Rocky Mountain states?

There are numerous reports out regarding locating the iron bearing sands which typically contain gold with a mag. Not using one of these before in Colorado I'm unsure if there's so much magnetite and hot rocks and related iron bearing rocks in the ground it might render this useless. Sort of like using a non-discriminating metal detector with a 18" coil trying to search the local park. While it would work you would get so many false reads you'd throw in the towel in about 2 hours.

I am hoping to locate someone that has used this technique before I spend big bucks on something that will be difficult to use in the Colorado Rockies.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
faaus
post Mar 31 2008, 10:37 AM
Post #2

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 978

Mags are great for tracking blacksand concentrations, based on their magnetic signature. I don't know how Colorado magnetics will affect them, but I offer a bot of advice.

First off, my partner and I went halvsies on the Fluxgate mag kits from here:

http://www.fatquarterssoftware.com/product.aspx?id=12

It is a good inexpensice way to get into magging, assuming you can assemble a kit.

Also, there a several companies that rent high-performing magnetometers on a daily or weekly basis. This would allow you to demonstrate how well they work before making a large purchase.

Heavy Pans,

faaus

+Quote Post
GeneYo
post Mar 31 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #3

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 4,184

Thanks for the reply. I am familiar about the Fatsquarters $179 magnetometer / gradiometer kit and from what I've read it works however the second sensor needs to be aligned perfectly to the first sensor and it's direction sensitive. So it's a tricky but cheap setup. I didn't buy it because the last thing I wanted to do was spend $200+ on a kit and spend 15 hours building it only to have created a problem. When I can get a professionally constructed Proton Mag for $2,200.

I would be curious to get your feedback on this unit? Have you constructed this and actually used the unit.

+Quote Post
faaus
post Apr 2 2008, 05:21 PM
Post #4

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 978

Well, the answer to "why" in our case was we could put the extra 2K$ in necessary gear for our prospecting that we couldn't shortcut. It always nicer to buy fancy ready-made goodies, if your budget is very flush, that's a no-brainer.

+Quote Post
russau
post Apr 3 2008, 05:16 AM
Post #5

russau

Member No.: 43

i have a electrical print of a mag over on goldminers on yahoogroups. there are two pripritory parts that you need to buy from the company that gave me the print. it is hand drawn but doable.i never made it but this is just for your info.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:27 AM