ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dredging Not Dirty Word in China--WOW!
gold_tutor
post Mar 20 2004, 01:34 PM
Post #1

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 25

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 12:40 PM

China to invest 200 million yuan in dredging Lancang River

www.chinaview.cn 2004-03-17 10:37:54

KUNMING, March 17 (Xinhuanet) -- China will dredge parts of the Lancang-Mekong River, which runs through six Asian countries, to improve navigation on dangerous parts of the river.

The dredging project covers a section between Simao Port and Guanlei Dock in southwest China's Yunnan Province with a total length of 158 km. It started in the spring of this year and will cost an estimated investment of 200 million yuan (24 million US dollars).

When dredging on the 158-km section is complete, ships below 300 deadweight tons will be able to travel from China to other countries along the river all year round.

Originating at the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau, the Lancang-Mekong River runs through Laos, Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam and China with a total length of 4,880 km. Its lower reaches outside of China are known as the Mekong.

The Lancang-Mekong River opened to commercial navigation in China, Laos, Myanmar and Thailand in 2001. However, ships could not sail in the section all the year round due to rapids, sharp curves and shallow water in the dry season.

Until the end of 2003, China had invested 90 million yuan (10.8 million US dollars) to harness the section between Simao Port and Guanlei Dock to allow ships of 100 deadweight tons to navigate the section.

Statistics showed the volume of water transport on the Lancang-Mekong River rose to 235,000 tons last year. Enditem

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2004-03/...ent_1370438.htm

[i]anyone want to pitch in and buy THOSE cons?[/b]
Usually they are barged and hauled to a S&G outfit. Should be some interesting values in THOSE puppies...300TON deadweight vessels? Should be one heckuva
channel. Bet they use bigger than a 6"-8" Anyone know for sure???
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Mar 21 2004, 02:44 AM
Post #2

Master Mucker

Member No.: 98

Apparently there's a problem here already. They speak of low water and rapids....what will dredging do then? Yeah, it's gonna make a better channel for the ships, but something is missing here. I would say that would be the water. It's low water for a reason. And you have rapids because of low water, right? Right. So will a channel make it better? Maybe. But they'll need more than just a new channel, I think. Something along the lines of locks and dams, just like what they have on the Mississippi river.
Carl

--------------------
Today's socio-political climate is rock solid proof that Adam and Eve weren't prospectors.
If they were they'd have eaten the snake instead of the apple and we'd still be in heaven....

+Quote Post
russau
post Mar 21 2004, 07:01 AM
Post #3

russau

Member No.: 43

ahhhhhhhh yes, the mekong river, i remember it well! mud andclay and flow sand to boot. you talk about muddy soup of a mix!and i thought the mississippi was muddy!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 09:20 AM