ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

My Best Score Yet!!!, What A Day.....
NewRockHounder
post Aug 9 2014, 11:13 PM
Post #1

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 117,890

Ok, let me start things off by saying, "I don't have any pics yet, but I will in a day or so, cleaning" Today... wow.. I got up early to beat the daily T-storms, got up to Devil's Head area around 6am.. proceeded to an area I had checked out with my nephew on Thursday, but due to him being ten, and lack there of, of any chances of me digging successfully other than float material (which I did find) I went back to a couple spots today... Honestly didn't find a whole lot, kind of a waste of time but I'm glad I checked, rather than wondering. By the time I left that area, it was around noon, and the T-storms had begun with Lightning. As it did such, I moved locations to an area I had read about in that book I got (see other thread) and consulting with my Colorado map book. By the time I got to the spot I thought I wanted, it had started down pouring, so I sat in my truck and had a couple cigs and looked at my map book. Thus doing so, I recalculated that I was off by 3 miles or so, so headed back according to my mileage.

By the time I got to the new spot, the skies had cleared, it was spectacular. Started my hike towards a road that was closed, figured I'd give it a shot, hoping that my mileage to map book to mineral book was accurate - hiked in about five hundred yards, saw a dig site, went through the over burden, found a couple small pieces of smokey quartz and proceeded on. Not even five minutes later, noticed another dig site, again, went through over burden, JACKPOT! Large crystal fragments, some with most of the sides, all smokies...to say the least, I was thrilled. After going through what I wanted to take, I started to dig. It was a fairly big hole and majority of which was filled in - looking at the soil/rock I took a chance and started digging on the left - half an hour later, nothing. Proceeded again down the trail.. found a couple more dig spots nothing good again so I figured I'd call it a day. When I was walking back, I was thinking about that large hole I dug in, 'it's so big, I only tried one side' - finding it again wasn't a problem as the amount of quartz and broken crystals is craziness. This time, I dug on the right, not even six inches down I hit red clay. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Digging for ten or less minutes and I find the most holiest and biggest mass of smokey quartz I've ever seen, some crystals I had to leave as they're to big to carry. Got some pieces however and a couple completes tho they broke when I extracted them. I figure the rest of what pieces I did take are still there. Some of which I figure are one foot long or bigger, six inches across, was the biggest I've found (so far). I extracted as much as I could carry and then some.. (couldn't stop) - laid a bed of sticks down on the layer of clay I was at, and filled it in. MINE! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif qdraw.gif

Long story short, I'm super stoked - mostly again, thanks to Mike S. for teaching me.

Can't wait to get up there again!

--------------------
- You Rock! (Literally)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
6 User(s) are reading this topic (6 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:41 AM