ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Green River Formation Fossils
swizz
post Dec 31 2010, 09:34 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,983

I've always had a fascination with the marine and plant fossils of the Green River Formation and Fossil Lake.
I know that it's virtually impossible to freely prospect or collect in the area (claims, quarries, etc, etc) so I've never considered a collection trip there.... until recently.
I like to attend the rock/mineral/gem/fossil shows and always look forward to the Fossil Lake/Green River Formation displays (and have purchased specimens).
One of the better vendors I had the pleasure of meeting (I forget which show) was Robert Bowen who owns Wyoming Fossils.
He offers a pay-to-dig service (and other services) at his quarry and was curious if anyone has visited it. It's closed through the winter (seasonal) as the website states but if I can afford to.... I'd like to hit it sometime in the future if it's worthwhile. $120 for 8hrs sounds kinda steep but I really don't think it's too bad considering the likelihood of leaving with treasure.... provided you still have a good back and are motivated. emoticon-misc-004.gif
Here's a link to their website, I'd really like to hear from anyone who's been there (or similar) if possible: Wyomingfossils.com
thanks!

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Jan 2 2011, 06:08 AM
Post #2

Master Mucker

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

Hmmm. There used to be a few places in Colorado and Utah as well as Wyoming where you could "prospect" for fossils in the Green River and Wasatch formations.

--------------------
Today's socio-political climate is rock solid proof that Adam and Eve weren't prospectors.
If they were they'd have eaten the snake instead of the apple and we'd still be in heaven....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:36 AM