ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

New to CP, Introduction
Olog the Ogre
post Mar 5 2017, 02:12 PM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 127,759

Hello Colorado Prospectors!

I am commonly referred as an "Ogre", hence my handle, but my real name is Mike. Nice to meet everyone and I am happy to have the wealth of information that is available to CP members.

Do we get bumper stickers?

Anyway, I live in Salida, and my favorite prospecting spot is Cache Creek, near Granite. There are a lot of claims and a lot of gold in Southern Colorado, but, in my opinion, only Cache Creek will give up 97% pure golden pieces. There is no need to smelt, refine, or filter. Once you've gotten it out of your Blue Bowl, that's it! You have "market quality" gold!

I am a little protective of the area - Bill, the B.L.M. Geologist who is in charge of the area knows me pretty well. We aren't suppose to dig under those 100+ year old Ponderosa tree's, yet people do all the time. I will politely point out the signs when I see someone digging under them, and sometimes it gets a little heated - I haven't had to call in the Forest Service on anyone yet, but here is the thing: if we don't follow the rules out there, the BLM will shut us down. Then Cache Creek becomes a recreational site only. No fun for anyone. And YES, the Fed's have the authority to do whatever they want.

A little about me: my father was a registered land surveyor for the state of Arizona and has a Master's in Geology. We have been prospecting since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Now he is older and is on an oxygen tank so I have taken up the reigns and we usually spend a month together once a year just digging in our favorite spots here in Southern Colorado.

I am an O.I.F. Combat Veteran (Reg Army, 13Bang Bang, 2-17FA, 2ID, e5) and have been blown up a couple times. I took my Medical Retirement and got a Bachelors in Electrical Engineering. I am one of the very few 46 year old's I have ever met who is already retired. I was born in Fort Collins, CO, and when me, my wife and our son moved to Salida, I was hired to be the General Manager of the local non-profit thrift store, the Caring & Sharing. As I found out, there is a huge difference between a "Good Soldier" and a "Good Christian" so that didn't work out for us. So instead we prospect most summers.

I also run Point Barr with my buddy during the winter time, but frankly, the gold just isn't as good there. So if your out at those two public prospecting area's and you see a white Jeep Liberty with DV plates and Vet stickers all over it's butt, look for a tall skinny dude with a salt and pepper fu man chu and come say hello!

Michael D. Shelest
OIF Reg Army, BSEE, IEEE, (and now CP!)

emoticon-object-018.gif emoticon-object-018.gif

--------------------
Michael D. Shelest
OIF Reg Army, BSEE, IEEE
"Fallen but not Forgotten"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Olog the Ogre
post Mar 28 2017, 12:28 PM
Post #2

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 127,759

Hi Eric!

Yea, I noticed a common theme with names too. Mike, Dave, and Randy seem to be the most common among us prospectors. Quit a few Chris's out there too.

I never did get to use my EE. I graduated after a military career, and engineering corporations in America want fresh faced kids straight out of high school and college. I spent a few years and thousands of dollars traveling the United States trying to land an entry level engineering position and despite outstanding grades and a highly decorated military career I just couldn't land a job. I think I hold the record of 117 interviews, and I aced every last one of them. Owell. Y'know, off topic, but I noticed something when I was searching for my career - American technology is run and led by the very same Middle Easterns we have been at war with for over 14 years. Yea, they ain't gonna give an American Combat Vet a job - no way in hell.

Even Raythion, Lock-Heed and Martin, Bell Labs - all currently being run by people who have family across the big pond. Our nations enemies are firmly embedded in our technology. I don't know if people are aware of it or not but I think they will end up winning.

So though here in Salida there are very few options for someone of my background, the degree itself as well as my military record gets me some pretty good opportunities. I currently wash dishes for 50 Burger because I like the lack of responsibility. I was the general manager for Caring and Sharing, but that left some deep scars and a very sour taste in my mouth for organized religion so I took something that will allow me to focus on Gold Prospecting. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Besides, I have more fun developing my own projects and toys than I ever would helping develop a new radar detection system or "Smart Bomb".

Thanks for asking Eric.

--------------------
Michael D. Shelest
OIF Reg Army, BSEE, IEEE
"Fallen but not Forgotten"

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Sep 3 2017, 08:34 PM
Post #3

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

QUOTE (Olog the Ogre @ Mar 28 2017, 12:28 PM) *
Hi Eric!

So though here in Salida there are very few options for someone of my background, the degree itself as well as my military record gets me some pretty good opportunities. I currently wash dishes for 50 Burger because I like the lack of responsibility.

Wasn't sure if that was you back there and y'all were swamped so we didn't want to bother you. We'll hit you up next time!!

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:20 AM