ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Arkansas river open land, Looking for a spot and the Arkansas river
Goldlane
post Jan 10 2017, 07:01 PM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 125,060

What's going on everybody, I am new to gold prospecting and have prospected only a few places about 3 hours east of Denver. I have only found very fine gold flakes. I am interested in going up on the Arkansas river northeast of the royal gorge. I have an app that shows alot of the river there is blm. Does that mean I can pan and sluice there? I want to go to the spot between hwy 50 and the royal gorge. There is a county road 61 that leads right down there. Anybody know of the area and maybe what it's like, gold wise and claim wise? Thank you all, I look forward to starting a lifelong hobby. I have found 4 tiny flakes of gold and that's it... But still now I have gold fever, with no hope for a cure besides getting down and dirty in a river
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
johnnybravo300
post Jan 10 2017, 09:57 PM
Post #2

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 120,659

I haven't prospected anywhere over there. I would imagine that it's all claimed up if there's gold there but I'm not positive. That's a safe assumption along the ark river usually. I believe that section is all gold bearing from what ive read but access might be the problem.
Let us know what you find out.

--------------------
Level 2 member -12/25/16
Referral code JL697

+Quote Post
Goldlane
post Jan 11 2017, 11:52 AM
Post #3

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (johnnybravo300 @ Jan 10 2017, 08:57 PM) *
I haven't prospected anywhere over there. I would imagine that it's all claimed up if there's gold there but I'm not positive. That's a safe assumption along the ark river usually. I believe that section is all gold bearing from what ive read but access might be the problem.
Let us know what you find out.

I will definently let you guys know what I find out. I searched alot and I keep finding that the area is Blm land but I find nothing about it being claimed. I really need to get up to canyon and get me a book on the land ownership an leases in the area. Also, i would imagine it to be gold bearing there as the picture I posted is about 150 miles east of that point. I found 4 colors to two pans. Excited to get my sluice box ordered so I can move some material and maybe find enough fines to make it worth it.

+Quote Post
MikeS
post Jan 11 2017, 12:40 PM
Post #4

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 116,265

Welcome to the forums Goldlane!

The area you described is under active claim and it is likely you were on a claim when you went there. I recommend not returning until you can verify the status of the lands.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caveman
post Jan 11 2017, 01:12 PM
Post #5

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 41,357

QUOTE (Goldlane @ Jan 10 2017, 06:01 PM) *
What's going on everybody, I am new to gold prospecting and have prospected only a few places about 3 hours east of Denver. I have only found very fine gold flakes. I am interested in going up on the Arkansas river northeast of the royal gorge. I have an app that shows alot of the river there is blm. Does that mean I can pan and sluice there? I want to go to the spot between hwy 50 and the royal gorge. There is a county road 61 that leads right down there. Anybody know of the area and maybe what it's like, gold wise and claim wise? Thank you all, I look forward to starting a lifelong hobby. I have found 4 tiny flakes of gold and that's it... But still now I have gold fever, with no hope for a cure besides getting down and dirty in a river

As MikeS stated, that area is an active claim, and the claim holder is none too happy about people jumping it. It is well marked and posted.

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
World Traveler, 7 Continent Walker
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER
Referral Code: SE2104

+Quote Post
johnnybravo300
post Jan 11 2017, 01:38 PM
Post #6

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 120,659

Well there ya go. All claimed or private property. I would have been more surprised if it was open land.
Point bar is the only place ive been on the ark.

--------------------
Level 2 member -12/25/16
Referral code JL697

+Quote Post
Goldlane
post Jan 11 2017, 03:52 PM
Post #7

Diggin' In!

Thank you guys for the information, and mikeS, I never did visit the area I was just interested in it as it looks like an OK spot from Google Maps and is closer to me. I live in southeast Colorado and the Arkansas river flows this way. I jumped on the river down here where I live and that's where I found my gold. It's the only place I have ever prospected. Do you guys happen to know who I could get a hold of to get the permission I need to try the area by the royal gorge? I really wanna get into a decent location without driving 6 hours.

+Quote Post
Caveman
post Jan 11 2017, 04:40 PM
Post #8

Master Mucker!

QUOTE (Goldlane @ Jan 11 2017, 02:52 PM) *
Thank you guys for the information, and mikeS, I never did visit the area I was just interested in it as it looks like an OK spot from Google Maps and is closer to me. I live in southeast Colorado and the Arkansas river flows this way. I jumped on the river down here where I live and that's where I found my gold. It's the only place I have ever prospected. Do you guys happen to know who I could get a hold of to get the permission I need to try the area by the royal gorge? I really wanna get into a decent location without driving 6 hours.

No, and that area is in Parkdale (West side of the Gorge), and there is public access to the river for hikers, rafters/kayakers, and fishermen. That side of the river is all under claim, and the north side as well I believe. Check LR2000, and with the Royal Gorge BLM office in Canon City. This area is also an ACEC, and special regs apply as well.

I will try to find out what I can, and pm you.

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER

+Quote Post
Goldlane
post Jan 11 2017, 05:03 PM
Post #9

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (Caveman @ Jan 11 2017, 03:40 PM) *
No, and that area is in Parkdale (West side of the Gorge), and there is public access to the river for hikers, rafters/kayakers, and fishermen. That side of the river is all under claim, and the north side as well I believe. Check LR2000, and with the Royal Gorge BLM office in Canon City. This area is also an ACEC, and special regs apply as well.

I will try to find out what I can, and pm you.

Thank you caveman, I appreciate it. Like I said I am new to this, and have no idea what I need to be looking for or how to obtain the info I need in order to get permission.

+Quote Post
Caveman
post Jan 11 2017, 05:11 PM
Post #10

Master Mucker!

Doing research is a start... Learn LR2000, and talk to the BLM office responsible for that area, then the city/county clerk & recorder to get down to brass tacks, as they will have the most recent info. There are also topics and discussions in the forums... others here will start posting links to those shortly... I'm sure. I am a little short on time right now, or I would do it. Look at the pinned posts on the main forums page to start. Best of luck!

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER

+Quote Post
Goldlane
post Jan 11 2017, 06:36 PM
Post #11

Diggin' In!

Well I called the Fremont county clerk and was given their gis document that showed land ownership and the area I want to prospect is owned by blm. I called the blm office and left a message now waiting to hear more news on if it's claimed or not. I thought blm meant that the land was government and open to public?

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jan 11 2017, 07:17 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 6,983

Hi Goldlane, and welcome! sign0016.gif
I am so glad that you are taking the time to research this, that's the right thing to do! Everyone has given solid advice and you're on the right track. Still a few things to iron out. I'm not familiar with the Ark or I would be able to have answered some of your earlier questions which others graciously have.
To clarify a couple of things that you just posted...
"I called the blm office and left a message now waiting to hear more news on if it's claimed or not. I thought blm meant that the land was government and open to public?"
BLM designated land is indeed public land. It is owned by We The People and the BLM is assigned to manage it under the Dept Of Interior. Anyone may stake a claim on BLM managed lands through due discovery and staking process (generally speaking as there are a few exceptions). I currently own and work two claims on BLM designated/managed land. People may still recreate on this land but I 'own' the mineral rights on this 40 acres. BLM does not "own" the land, they are a "bureau" created to "manage" it. Technically they work for us and are paid by our tax dollars.
One critical thing you will want to be looking for when exploring new areas with potential claims is actual hand-drawn map(s) of any claims that you are in fear of trespassing. Every claim has such a map, it is required during the staking/filing process. These maps also must include a written description of the location of discovery along with boundary marker directions. Sometimes in the form of GPS coords but most often not. There are three sources for these specific maps. 1. Claim Owner, 2. County Clerk/Recorder, and 3. Main BLM Public Room in Lakewood. There is not an app or online resource for the hand-drawn map unless offered by specific counties typically for a fee. Most counties do not offer this service, visit required.
Mining claim owners are not required to post signage. Mining claims are required to post Discovery Marker and Boundary Markers upon staking.... HOWEVER.... these markers are not required to be maintained by the claim owner after that. That means if they are damaged by nature, fire, flood, vandalism, or whatever... the claim owner's rights are still protected since the whereabouts of these markers are always on file in the three location I stated. Not many claim owners bother to surround their 20 acres or more with signage. Most use no signage at all. It's the sole responsibility of the person holding the shovel to know where they are poking it.
I commend you for your research! We all started exactly like this. happy088.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Goldlane
post Jan 12 2017, 12:02 AM
Post #13

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (swizz @ Jan 11 2017, 06:17 PM) *
Hi Goldlane, and welcome! sign0016.gif
I am so glad that you are taking the time to research this, that's the right thing to do! Everyone has given solid advice and you're on the right track. Still a few things to iron out. I'm not familiar with the Ark or I would be able to have answered some of your earlier questions which others graciously have.
To clarify a couple of things that you just posted...
"I called the blm office and left a message now waiting to hear more news on if it's claimed or not. I thought blm meant that the land was government and open to public?"
BLM designated land is indeed public land. It is owned by We The People and the BLM is assigned to manage it under the Dept Of Interior. Anyone may stake a claim on BLM managed lands through due discovery and staking process (generally speaking as there are a few exceptions). I currently own and work two claims on BLM designated/managed land. People may still recreate on this land but I 'own' the mineral rights on this 40 acres. BLM does not "own" the land, they are a "bureau" created to "manage" it. Technically they work for us and are paid by our tax dollars.
One critical thing you will want to be looking for when exploring new areas with potential claims is actual hand-drawn map(s) of any claims that you are in fear of trespassing. Every claim has such a map, it is required during the staking/filing process. These maps also must include a written description of the location of discovery along with boundary marker directions. Sometimes in the form of GPS coords but most often not. There are three sources for these specific maps. 1. Claim Owner, 2. County Clerk/Recorder, and 3. Main BLM Public Room in Lakewood. There is not an app or online resource for the hand-drawn map unless offered by specific counties typically for a fee. Most counties do not offer this service, visit required.
Mining claim owners are not required to post signage. Mining claims are required to post Discovery Marker and Boundary Markers upon staking.... HOWEVER.... these markers are not required to be maintained by the claim owner after that. That means if they are damaged by nature, fire, flood, vandalism, or whatever... the claim owner's rights are still protected since the whereabouts of these markers are always on file in the three location I stated. Not many claim owners bother to surround their 20 acres or more with signage. Most use no signage at all. It's the sole responsibility of the person holding the shovel to know where they are poking it.
I commend you for your research! We all started exactly like this. happy088.gif

Thank you very much swizz!! I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I really don't want to be in an area where I'm not welcome. I would like to do it right, because if I had a claim, I would like to be notified as well. I hope I can get permission because I'm very interested in prospecting. I know I will never get rich from it, but honestly I enjoy the idea of hunting the gold and working hard. And then you have something to show for it!!! And also if I save gold all my life, I might have an OK retirement fund lol. But it's all for fun and I would like to get on an area close to me. I would like to visit clear creek as well it's just a 4 hour drive where the royal gorge is only 2.

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Jan 12 2017, 07:31 AM
Post #14

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

QUOTE (Goldlane @ Jan 11 2017, 11:02 PM) *
Thank you very much swizz!! I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I really don't want to be in an area where I'm not welcome. I would like to do it right, because if I had a claim, I would like to be notified as well. I hope I can get permission because I'm very interested in prospecting. I know I will never get rich from it, but honestly I enjoy the idea of hunting the gold and working hard. And then you have something to show for it!!! And also if I save gold all my life, I might have an OK retirement fund lol. But it's all for fun and I would like to get on an area close to me. I would like to visit clear creek as well it's just a 4 hour drive where the royal gorge is only 2.

The state had gold all over, so don't limit yourself to this location. Not sure where you're located, but there is likely gold close to you somewhere open.

And I hate to be a downer, but I prospect almost weekly and have been looking for gold for 3+ years and don't even have an ounce. If you're looking to get rich, Colorado isn't the place to do it, so don't quit your day job and bet the farm on this as your retirement fund! Only way I'm getting rich is to sell my prospecting gear lol

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Dave S.
post Jan 12 2017, 08:41 AM
Post #15

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 118,315

Welcome Goldlane!

I know the feeling of Gold fever! So do most of the members here. excited.gif

If you are a annual or lifetime member (or become one), then you will get invites to areas and claims that can help satisfy the gold cravings.

I will be making invites to my gold claim near Salida probably by April or May (maybe sooner depending on when the snow melts).

If you want to see some pics of the gold from there, you can see them under the catagory "CP's Past Events" under the headline "Club Adventures with Dave S."

If you have the gold bug that bad and are not a paying member, then I strongly recommend that you get an annual membership to fully try out the club for at least a year.

If you come up to the claim I/we can really help you (hands on) to learn more about prospecting, goldpanning, etc...

The gold from my claim is the best gold my brother (Mike S.) and I have found so far. I only staked my claim last September and there was no claim at that spot before.

There are many opportunities in Colorado to find places that have not been mined, or are open to prospecting and mining currently. The info on this site and the knowledge of it's members can be very helpful for ya!

I hope to see ya out in the field this year and witness your gold fever first hand! smiley-laughing021.gif eating-popcorn-03.gif

--------------------
Thankful member of COLORADO PROSPECTOR CLUB
Level 2 Joined Oct. 19th 2014 (pay member since Apr. 1st 2015)
Referral code: DS531

"Like a fine gemstone, the mind is more beautiful when it is open and free to receive the light
." - (Dave's ramblings 52 : 80 )

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:01 AM