ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Anyone venture into making knife handles yet?, Lapidary
EchoBravo
post Apr 8 2018, 02:38 PM
Post #1

Shovel Buster!

Group: Members
Member No.: 129,116

Had an opportunity to buy a couple Damascus Chef knife blanks. That folded metal looks so cool, I figured I would try to make a knife handle for them out of stone. Unfortunately I do not have a saw big enough to cut some slabs of my own (someday). So I bought a real nice slab of Stone Canyon Jasper off of Etsy. Then attempted my first knife handles. Was a bit of a challenge with my machines but thought It turned out decent. Now to find the right slab for my second knife :^) (yes this was spurred on by that Forged in Fire show ha ha)

Knife came well oil & wrapped in plastic.
Attached Image

Stone Canyon Jasper.

Attached Image

Midway thru the process with temporary pins in the knife to steady the stones so I can monitor how close to the steel I was getting. A couple different angles.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Finished product with brass pins & tinted epoxy for seal/waterproofing handles to the steel (this is where I need a little more practice).

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
1/15 FA 2nd ID, Camp Casey Korea
1/5 FA 1st ID, Ft Riley KS
Recall-ODS Veteran
RC: EB725
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
EchoBravo
post Apr 17 2018, 12:07 PM
Post #2

Shovel Buster!

Group: Members
Member No.: 129,116

Thanks for the kind words. Yes Jay Fisher has some breath taking stuff, that guy is insanely talented. I wasn't sure how stone would behave as a handle and wondered why you don't see many (a lot of work to make). But now that I have been using my chef knife for a bit, I can absolutely say this is my go to knife. It feels good in my hands. doesn't scratch or stain and is surprisingly well balanced. Got lucky as I had no idea what I was doing. lol. I just approached it as I usually approach new challenges for the first time.. (measure 100 times & cut once & then grind it into submission) ha :^). I've got another blank that I am itching to do, & thinking I might add a mosaic pin on this one :^).

Swizz.. I liked that Air Force knife (only an Army knife would have been better smiley-laughing021.gif ) and your leather work is Awesome! Chris's tiger iron was really nice also! Smooth lines. I really enjoy all the talent on this site. Makes me feel like I am in the right place to learn a thing or twenty.

--------------------
1/15 FA 2nd ID, Camp Casey Korea
1/5 FA 1st ID, Ft Riley KS
Recall-ODS Veteran
RC: EB725
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:06 AM