ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Just wanted to escape to Colorado for a few minutes...
ChuckD
post Sep 13 2017, 10:13 PM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 129,517

I know this is WAY "off topic... but I'm using this forum to escape reality for a few minutes... Been awhile since I've been able to get on here and read about y'all's adventures... My home is about 8 miles from where the "eye" of hurricane Harvey went through. I had minimal damage to my home, but considerable damage to the 72 oak trees on my 3/4 acre plot, and a couple sheds on my property. Also lost refrigerator, washing machine and a couple other "modern conveniences." Yep... 72 big trees on a small piece of property and zero damage to my home. I feel like I won the lottery, compared to the misfortune of so many others. I was without electricity for 11 days, but others lost EVERYTHING. My son lost half of his roof, and what was left of his house got soaked, but he's alright, so I'm alright. Anyhow, just wanted to say "hi" to all of y'all and to let y'all know that at the end of a long hot day of digging out from under the trees down here in south Texas, I really enjoy getting on here and "escaping" to the mountains of Colorado. I hope to meet some of y'all one day! I was hoping to make it up there this year but it's been one thing after another. I can't wait to look into a gold pan and see a speck of gold that wasn't delivered to my house in a bag. Until then, the gold y'all find and write about... well, just know that in my mind I'm right there with you on your adventure, so thanks for sharing! Reading about yalls outings and finds really gives me something to look forward to... Y'all be safe!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
swizz
post Sep 14 2017, 07:38 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,983

Extremely glad that you and your family are ok, I was wondering about you. Thank you for checking in and letting us know the situation. The damage sounds horrible! Very fortunate that your home had minimal damage considering the circumstances you described. Stay on course Chuck, you Texans are a tuff breed! emoticon-object-018.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
ChuckD
post Sep 15 2017, 07:05 PM
Post #3

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (swizz @ Sep 14 2017, 09:38 AM) *
Extremely glad that you and your family are ok, I was wondering about you. Thank you for checking in and letting us know the situation. The damage sounds horrible! Very fortunate that your home had minimal damage considering the circumstances you described. Stay on course Chuck, you Texans are a tuff breed! emoticon-object-018.gif

Thanks, Swizz. There has been an outpouring of people from several other states that have come down here to pitch in and help the neediest in the area with food, water, toiletries and plain 'ol manual labor. Many of them working all day long in heat and a mosquito infestation that is unreal. I must say, that I think it would suffice to state that we as a country are a pretty tuff and very generous breed. Take care!

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Sep 16 2017, 08:20 AM
Post #4

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

Sorry to hear about your tough times. Glad there are glimmers of goodness to get y'all through it.

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
ChuckD
post Sep 16 2017, 11:14 AM
Post #5

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (Crusty @ Sep 16 2017, 10:20 AM) *
Sorry to hear about your tough times. Glad there are glimmers of goodness to get y'all through it.

Thanks, Crusty. I'm glad to see/read about the claim that you and Relicsandcoins (I think?) have been working so hard on getting straightened out to come to fruition. I think that y'all's knowledge and determination about the claim process epitomizes the very purpose of this particular club. Way to hang in there!!! I've gotta say too, that I've been reading your posts about traveling here and there, and volunteer work that you are involved in...
Can't wait to meet you! And I'm really looking forward to trying one of your campfire desserts!

+Quote Post
EMac
post Sep 17 2017, 03:09 PM
Post #6

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 117,949

Sorry to hear you had to go through that, but I'm glad you weathered the storm well. Best wishes to you and yours recovering successfully!

That's sad you lost that many trees; hopefully you're able to turn that lemon into lemonade somehow. Can you sell it for lumber, firewood, large carvings, etc.?

--------------------
Lifetime Member
opera non verba

"All courses of action are risky, so prudence is not in avoiding danger (it's impossible), but calculating risk and acting decisively. Make mistakes of ambition and not mistakes of sloth. Develop the strength to do bold things, not the strength to suffer." ~Niccolò Machiavelli

Ref Code:

EM448

+Quote Post
ChuckD
post Sep 17 2017, 04:00 PM
Post #7

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (EMac @ Sep 17 2017, 05:09 PM) *
Sorry to hear you had to go through that, but I'm glad you weathered the storm well. Best wishes to you and yours recovering successfully!

That's sad you lost that many trees; hopefully you're able to turn that lemon into lemonade somehow. Can you sell it for lumber, firewood, large carvings, etc.?

Thank you!
I've got two cords of wood cut and stacked for the fireplace and for campfires, another couple cords cut and piled around the base of several trees that I haven't gotten around to stacking yet- Been pretty busy over at my son's house trying to help him get things secure and moved out of his house. I don't think I'd have much luck selling this wood right now, because there's people with entire trees still laying in their yards and others who have cut it up in smaller pieces and stacked it by the road to just be hauled off. There are literally TRUCKLOADS of wood that are cut into fireplace size logs and stacked by the roadside just waiting to hauled off to a "dump area." I hate to see so many people just wasting this wood, but right now I don't have the energy to haul it home. As for wood sculpting... I WISH I had that kind of talent! I wish I knew how to put pictures on here... I'd show y'all how much wood is being wasted.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:11 PM