ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Proof of the Reynold's Gang Treasure Found???
Enigma1
post Jan 27 2013, 10:49 AM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,570

Hello Everyone,

I've been hunting, hiking, fishing, and camping in Geneva Gulch since my father first took me there nearly 30 years ago. In my own opinion, I'd say I know the area better than most.

I'd never heard of the Reynold's Gang treasure until about a year ago when I was researching the ghost town of Geneva. At first I didn't pay much attention, and just found the tale an interesting footnote to the area's history.

Then I remembered an unusual find I had made in August 2011-

While on a long, remote hike, I stumbled onto the bones of a very large animal, partially buried in years of sediment and moss near a swampy/bog like area at about 11,000 ft. elevation. The bones were extremely old, and badly deteriorated. I uncovered several, including a fragile jaw bone that was under several inches of moss and mud that still contained a few teeth. A short distance away I noticed a rusted object which turned out to be a very old rusted shovel/spade head.

Due to the length of the hike back to camp, and the size of the bones, I only kept the jaw, and snapped a few photos of the rest. I didn't think anything of the shovel/spade I had found, and left it were it lay after a quick look. I had no idea what kind of bones I had found, and didn't think the shovel was connected to them in any way at the time.

I was interested to find out what kind of bones they were, as I had never seen such a large animal in the area. They weren't elk or moose bones, and why would such a giant animal have been wandering around at or above timberline where there is so little forage?

I posted the pics on an archaeological forum, and within a few days I had my answer from a Professor at British University- The bones I had found were those of a horse, and the Professor noted the extent of the decay as unusual and stated that this indicated they were quite old- he estimated around 150 years old.

I've since begun to wonder if these bones and the shovel may have been tied to the Reynold's Gang?

The account of the shootout, and the buried treasure mentions a horse that became mired in a swampy area that had to be killed/abandoned on the spot, and it is said that the stolen loot was buried at the head of a gulch around 11,000 ft. The tale also mentions the loot was buried in an old prospect hole after they had "followed the mountain around to the right". Geographically, where I found the horse skeleton and shovel, there was a large hill and the lay of the land "followed it around to the right".

Also since learning of the Reynold's Gang, I've done some research on Civil War era shovels, and the shovel I found was similar.

I'll be returning this summer for an extended search of the area, and sorry, I won't be sharing the exact location with anyone!

Here are photos of the bones I think may be the mired horse of the Reynold's Gang-

Cheers!
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Enigma1   Proof of the Reynold's Gang Treasure Found???   Jan 27 2013, 10:49 AM
- - swizz   HI Enigma and welcome to CP. Very, very, very c...   Jan 27 2013, 11:04 AM
- - swizz   Also... looks like at least one other party has (r...   Jan 27 2013, 11:28 AM
- - Enigma1   Thanks Swizz! Great advice, and I've got ...   Jan 27 2013, 11:33 AM
- - Woody   Hi Enigma1, Sounds like an exciting treasure h...   Jan 27 2013, 11:49 PM
- - Enigma1   Thanks for the advice Woody! Like I said I...   Jan 28 2013, 03:35 PM
- - amorton   For those of you not familiar with the Reynolds ga...   Jan 28 2013, 05:45 PM
- - Woody   Hey Enigma1, After doing a little further digg...   Jan 29 2013, 12:08 AM
- - Enigma1   Amorton, Thanks for posting those pages. The Tex ...   Jan 29 2013, 10:10 PM
|- - amorton   QUOTE (Enigma1 @ Jan 29 2013, 09:10 PM) A...   Jan 30 2013, 09:46 AM
- - Caveman   I would like to join in just to help dig and take ...   Jan 30 2013, 09:01 AM
- - Mrs.CP   Very interesting information guys!! Here i...   Jan 30 2013, 09:59 AM
|- - dbx   QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Jan 30 2013, 08:59 AM) Ve...   Jan 30 2013, 05:28 PM
- - russau   haha, well actually i found this treasure years ag...   Jan 31 2013, 05:40 AM
- - Diamond Digger   Enigma1.... Go find it but do not yell the fin...   Mar 10 2013, 04:43 AM
- - russau   DD your words are so very true! but if someone...   Mar 10 2013, 06:37 AM
- - dbx   Having trouble finding Handcart Gulch ... looking ...   Aug 28 2013, 03:59 PM
- - Enigma1   It has been many years since I first posted about ...   Apr 17 2023, 12:17 PM
- - ASTROBLEME   I'm looking forward to digging into your book....   Jun 2 2023, 03:30 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 10:59 AM