ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hunting, its that time of year
Denise
post Sep 10 2012, 09:36 AM
Post #31

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

How's the hunting going Woody?

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
traddoerr
post Apr 14 2014, 09:09 AM
Post #32

Shovel Buster!

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,932

My daughter and I drew turkey tags out on the Platte river this year, so the three of us (her little brother) made it out this past Sat.(opening day) hoping for my daughter to get her first bird. Got checked in and went to our favorit spot and set up. As we were walking in we could hear many toms gobbling off in the tree line, so we quickly found a good spot to set up and began calling, with-in 30min we had 3 big toms comeing in. Told my daughter get ready, but she had a problem, she couldn't get the hammer back on her shotgun, we tryed & tryed but couldn't get it to work and the toms were closing fast. I was going to let them pass, then fix her gun and try to call tham back again, she got angry and said don't let them get awaay and insisted that I take a shot. I did, and put one of the toms down then picked up her gun and started to try and get hers working again, the toms were still hanging around, well we could get it to work and the toms ran off. After 5/10 minutes we got her gun working. set back down and whated for a few minutes, then began to call again, called 2 more big toms in, but they wouldn't come close to the decoys, so no luck. Seen/called 3 more toms but couldn't close the deal for her, but may make it back out this weekend. The pic's are of my kids with my bird and one of me. The bird was weighed at about 24#, 8 1/4 beard. This is going to be some great eating, nothing better than Living off the land!
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Denise
post Apr 14 2014, 09:40 AM
Post #33

Master Mucker!

Sounds like a great day together!! Definitely good eating and some feathers for some art projects if you want. Thanks for sharing your day with us, looks like next time when she has the shot, she will be ready. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
fenixsmom
post Apr 14 2014, 10:06 AM
Post #34

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 116,305

Good job traddorr!!!! Hopefully she'll get hers next weekend!

+Quote Post
Caveman
post Apr 14 2014, 01:49 PM
Post #35

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 41,357

Very nice bird there, traddoer. And that's a great outing with the kids. Love the story, and I'm sure it will be a great memory for them.

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
World Traveler, 7 Continent Walker
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER
Referral Code: SE2104

+Quote Post
traddoerr
post Apr 14 2014, 04:24 PM
Post #36

Shovel Buster!

Thank you for all the kind responces. She will definitly be ready next time, hopeful it will be this weekend. Since they started hunting/going outdoors with me these have become my most charished times afield. I'll post pic's of her/him when they get their turkeys!

+Quote Post
burrell
post Apr 14 2014, 10:26 PM
Post #37

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 42,369

I am tickled sheetless that you baged a bird in front of your children. This is the only thing that comes ahead of prospecting for yeller for me. Both Woody & wyodust will have input for birds in your part of country. I have never met these 2 guys but if they have any input on your bird hunting with your childrn lessen closely to what they have to say. Here on basicly the GOM beach our birds are really (big time wild). Our home is surrounded by the the Fed .St. Marks Wildlive Refuge (aka wood pecker forest more to this but not now, Russ will understand). My hunting buddy of 25 + years (he needs hip replacement - not alot of walking) set our blinds (really look at blinds to still hunt with your children movement is very forgiving) 3pm ish opening eve. This is a quota hunt on a Fl MA. Buddy Jerry called on phone as he settled into his blind and i went to my blind. Upon arrival to my blind location I found only my chair and decoys no blind. A real sportsman decided that he needed that blind more than i needed it. Live and learn . This sheet is not unic to just my part of our country. Our (9days of quota hunt my buddy baged 2 fine birds still hunting in a blind) You have to understand that the hunt was like the old saying that its shake and bake and i helped. It has been 2 years since either of us have baged a bird and we live in the woods with them. Help those kids and listen to of excellt hunts and big time bad hunts, pas those on to your children so they are aware. Never too old to learn.
Our bird population in down big time. Our yard hens here at the house haven't showed up which is about a month late for them. Bird POP is down here.
Happy you did this for your childern
Burrell

+Quote Post
traddoerr
post Apr 17 2014, 04:57 PM
Post #38

Shovel Buster!

thanks berrell, this is the kids third year going with me, only they both are hunting now as well, been hunting turkeys in Colorado cense 1992, killed over 9 birds, Colorado doesn't have large populations of birds and can't draw the good tags but every 4th year. I'll be taking my daughter out tomorrow, so here's hopin.

QUOTE (burrell @ Apr 14 2014, 11:26 PM) *
I am tickled sheetless that you baged a bird in front of your children. This is the only thing that comes ahead of prospecting for yeller for me. Both Woody & wyodust will have input for birds in your part of country. I have never met these 2 guys but if they have any input on your bird hunting with your childrn lessen closely to what they have to say. Here on basicly the GOM beach our birds are really (big time wild). Our home is surrounded by the the Fed .St. Marks Wildlive Refuge (aka wood pecker forest more to this but not now, Russ will understand). My hunting buddy of 25 + years (he needs hip replacement - not alot of walking) set our blinds (really look at blinds to still hunt with your children movement is very forgiving) 3pm ish opening eve. This is a quota hunt on a Fl MA. Buddy Jerry called on phone as he settled into his blind and i went to my blind. Upon arrival to my blind location I found only my chair and decoys no blind. A real sportsman decided that he needed that blind more than i needed it. Live and learn . This sheet is not unic to just my part of our country. Our (9days of quota hunt my buddy baged 2 fine birds still hunting in a blind) You have to understand that the hunt was like the old saying that its shake and bake and i helped. It has been 2 years since either of us have baged a bird and we live in the woods with them. Help those kids and listen to of excellt hunts and big time bad hunts, pas those on to your children so they are aware. Never too old to learn.
Our bird population in down big time. Our yard hens here at the house haven't showed up which is about a month late for them. Bird POP is down here.
Happy you did this for your childern
Burrell

+Quote Post
fenixsmom
post Apr 21 2014, 06:23 AM
Post #39

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 116,305

Any luck this weekend Traddoerr?

+Quote Post
traddoerr
post Apr 21 2014, 04:50 PM
Post #40

Shovel Buster!

Sorry, no luck. But we did get into a bunch of turkeys again with a couple real nice tom's, just couldn't seal the deal. But she had a blast, and loved sleeping in the truck cab, me not so much, but this was for her not me, well maybe a little for me :)) I will be taking my son out this weekend to try for his bird, fingers crossed! Then I'll take her out again. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (fenixsmom @ Apr 21 2014, 07:23 AM) *
Any luck this weekend Traddoerr?

+Quote Post
Denise
post Apr 27 2014, 06:34 AM
Post #41

Master Mucker!

Priceless memories!! Hope you are having a good safe weekend with your son. Good luck bagging a bird! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
traddoerr
post Jul 12 2014, 06:52 PM
Post #42

Shovel Buster!

Sorry I took so long to give the final on the kids turkey hunt, well they didn't take any birds of their own but they had some close calls and see lots and all the other things that come with being outdoors, but they are getting ready for next spring.

Woody, are you getting the bowhunting itch! I finally drew a unit 61 archery elk tag, my nerves about to explode, can't wait. We are heading out this next weekend to scout the area, found out that there is some old tales of lost cache's in the area, just might have to make it a double hunt this year.

+Quote Post
Woody
post Jul 13 2014, 11:41 PM
Post #43

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 15,615

Oh yes I do,

Opening morning is right at 50 days and counting so I'm starting to break-out something bad. I've been shooting my bow every morning. I grew up playing in area 61. My first memory of the Great Outdoors is in the Little Red Valley. That is a large area but moster bulls are thick in there. Now getting to them is another story. I've currently only got 4 points saved up and plan to use them in 61 as soon as possible. Not sure how familuar you are with the area but give me a call, we'll chat. Woody.

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member
(currently working hard in the procurement department)

+Quote Post
traddoerr
post Jul 14 2014, 07:26 PM
Post #44

Shovel Buster!

I'm like you, counting down and going crazy! I haven't much experience in 61 but my hunting buddy who is going(hunting 62) has hunted it before and grew up in GJ / Delta area. It took me 13yrs to draw (12PP), it's getting ridiculous anymore for the HQ units and the amount of PP to draw, this will be the last time putting in for any of them. Any advise you can give will be greatly appreciated, I was also told the little red valley and some of the adjoining areas are good. We are heading up this weekend,can't wait! I don't have a number for you so I'll PM you and give you mine.

Best,
Dennis(traddoerr)

QUOTE (Woody @ Jul 14 2014, 12:41 AM) *
Oh yes I do,

Opening morning is right at 50 days and counting so I'm starting to break-out something bad. I've been shooting my bow every morning. I grew up playing in area 61. My first memory of the Great Outdoors is in the Little Red Valley. That is a large area but moster bulls are thick in there. Now getting to them is another story. I've currently only got 4 points saved up and plan to use them in 61 as soon as possible. Not sure how familuar you are with the area but give me a call, we'll chat. Woody.

+Quote Post
Caveman
post Jul 15 2014, 06:49 PM
Post #45

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 41,357

Starting to get the itch again, myself. I gotta get those new arrows worked up for the longbow. Then - practice!

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
World Traveler, 7 Continent Walker
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER
Referral Code: SE2104

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
8 User(s) are reading this topic (8 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:27 AM