ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
This is how I got to work today....
swizz
post Feb 16 2010, 08:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,983

For real.
Since my business caters to a niche market (log home industry), I get to see, bid, and work on some very interesting properties. Today I was looking at an extremely remote ranch complex owned by some of the rich and famous to which I'm not at liberty to mention (or even hint). Followed the guy about 40 miles, got out of the Jeep and into this thing for another 6 miles of unplowed FR, then a sketchy private 2-track road for about another mile to access the ranch. Safe to say no paparazzi are going to find this one. The property has great lore... originally a mining camp in the late 1800s, it gained enough traffic to earn a Post Office for a short time. Later as the mining fizzled out a party purchased the property and owned it for many years running it as a private lodge of sorts. The new owners (whom I am bidding for) have very elaborate restoration plans. Cool little ghost town, maybe 6 log structures operational and in very good condition, one modern and another in the works. I'm bidding on chinking restoration for three of the structures, wish me luck! This is a biggun.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hawkewind
post Feb 16 2010, 08:56 PM
Post #2

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 7,069

That is really cool and I personally wish you good luck on the bid!

+Quote Post
Denise
post Feb 17 2010, 06:21 AM
Post #3

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Hope you get the bid Swizz, and what a fantastic place to work! A winter wonderland. smile.gif

Reminds me....I need to get a truck like that.
wink.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
russau
post Feb 17 2010, 06:25 AM
Post #4

russau

Member No.: 43

good luck on the bid! we are keeping track of you with overhead imiging from space! we see your tracks in the snow! tell them if you dont get the bid, these pictures/location will be publicized in all the papers!haha

+Quote Post
jim
post Feb 17 2010, 07:25 AM
Post #5

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 994

Very cool Swizz!!! happy088.gif I recon you will have to get your truck fixed up like that just so you can go do the job. I know all about hoping on those bids coming in bash.gif. I'm waiting waiting on one myself. Good luck!! I hope you get it. Maybe you can get the owner interested in the site here. We can all go to his place for a dig. wink.gif

+Quote Post
CP
post Feb 18 2010, 11:52 AM
Post #6

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 3

Very cool Swizz and best of luck getting the bid. That will sure make for some nice peaceful lunch breaks on the job! happy088.gif

Nice ride, I've always wondered how well those track set ups work on pick ups and what kinda top speed they are rated for?

Thanks for sharing the pics, reminds of when I was building log homes in Michigan and had to ride the katamaran and horse carraiges to work everyday. Fun commute!

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
swizz
post Feb 18 2010, 01:18 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ Feb 18 2010, 10:52 AM) *
Nice ride, I've always wondered how well those track set ups work on pick ups and what kinda top speed they are rated for?

.... reminds of when I was building log homes in Michigan and had to ride the katamaran and horse carraiges to work everyday. Fun commute!

I'm thinking we did around 30mph in it but I'm not sure. Seems like it's rated for pretty good speed.
What part of Michingan? I was raised in the U.P. (copper country).
Are you a fellow Yooper??

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
CP
post Feb 18 2010, 01:40 PM
Post #8

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 3

It's a small world "EH?" thumbsupsmileyanim.gif We sure are former yoopers!
Iron Mountain eh, boy there are some spiffy copper nuggets from around that area. Although I was raised here in Colorful Colorado, as a young man I took an adventure trip to Michigan (Newberry) with the intention of a 2-4 week stay. As things worked out, I liked it so much there, I got a job, stayed for 2 years (first time) and met the wonderful Mrs.CP there.
During the 8 years we lived there I worked building the Hiawatha log homes before moving onto Louisianna Pacific press board plant and Connor Forest lumber mill.
Sure a different environment between the mountains and the U.P. isn't it? Used to really irk me in Michigan tryin' to build a fire pit lookin' for rocks, some places you'll be lookin' long time to find any. laught16.gif

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
swizz
post Feb 18 2010, 02:22 PM
Post #9

Wow, what a small world.
I'm from Ironwood (Gogebic County), so I definitely know where Iron Mountain is... not very far away. My parents still live there in our family home. They also own a nice cottage on a chain of lakes (near Watersmeet) and a small hunting camp near Lake Superior.
Half of my friends' Dads worked for the copper mine (can't remember the name of it) when I was growing up.
I spent a good many hours as a kid on the shore of Lake Superior agate hunting, it's popular there (as is driftwood). All of the agates are dang-near polished from the great lakes. Some great rock shops along the shore there as a result.
Man, that's pretty cool, I don't meet too many Yoopers or people who even know about the U.P. for that matter.
Great to know that I am in good company! It's a nice place to learn how to drink and fight.... although I've forgotten how to do either.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
marntson
post Feb 19 2010, 12:30 AM
Post #10

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 6,960

its funny how many people from that area are now in colorado. i was born in extreme northern minnesota near bemidji. but have lived in colorado most of my life. nice to see i'm not the only upper mid-westerner thats in to prospecting.

+Quote Post
swizz
post Feb 19 2010, 03:32 PM
Post #11

Nice! Bemidji definitely qualifies as the same neck of the woods. Great fishing up that way.
I just remembered the name of the copper mine where most of my friends' Dads worked: "White Pine".... wonder if they are still operational.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Feb 24 2010, 12:44 AM
Post #12

Master Mucker

Member No.: 98

People actually live in Michigan?

--------------------
Today's socio-political climate is rock solid proof that Adam and Eve weren't prospectors.
If they were they'd have eaten the snake instead of the apple and we'd still be in heaven....

+Quote Post
Persistence
post May 31 2010, 08:55 PM
Post #13

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 7,242

No way! A bunch of Yoopers here? Even better!

I grew up near Munising.

+Quote Post
Denise
post Jun 3 2010, 06:15 AM
Post #14

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Coalbunny @ Feb 24 2010, 12:44 AM) *
People actually live in Michigan?

Not only do we live Carl, but we live life to the fullest! wink.gif

QUOTE (Persistence @ May 31 2010, 08:55 PM) *
No way! A bunch of Yoopers here? Even better!

I grew up near Munising.

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Welcome to the family Persistence. biggrin.gif

Hope all is going well with the work this spring Swizz!
smile.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jun 3 2010, 08:55 PM
Post #15

Holy jeez, another yooper. slaphead.gif thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Denise,
oh yeah... I nailed the bid and got the job, second week so far - plugging away
So far/so good on the ranch chinking restoration. My crick runs right through the massive property so I've been looking at it from the corner of my eye while I work. Since this was an old mining camp there are many really interesting buildings including an old Post Office, bunk house, trappers outpost, and some structures of unknown use. Turns out they weren't mining gold there but something else (which I'd rather not disclose as to respect the privacy of my client and project location). I may sneak some pics of the historic structures and post them. The road there is totally private and remote so I don't think I'll catch any "oh, I've seen that building... I know exactly where that is". biggrin.gif It's very well hidden.
anyway... no water, no power, and no cell service have made things interesting, I swear it's haunted but I'm cool with that. GB has been helping me on occasion and will attest that this is a dream property for outdoorsy folk. The property is well off the grid so they create their own power by use of massive solar panels and some kinda high-tech hydrogen conversion dealy-bob?? I'm not sure but it's supposed to be some cutting-edge green technology. It's not working now because a power inverter thingy failed (plus ghosts) and a replacement part is on the way (fingers crossed).
all in all... I like it!

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:04 PM