ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

35 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Knife Making
swizz
post Aug 2 2012, 12:41 PM
Post #71

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,983

Ok.... I have finished the knife that I had problems with earlier. This is the one that I did the custom file work on.
I'm still working on the folding knife and should have that one wrapped up tonight. My next build after that will be a nice Chef's knife (which I need). I'm going to be making that from a blank as well, so it should be really easy. I also ordered some bar-stock metal... so after that I will attempt to design and make my own blade from scratch. That'll be a new learning process I'm looking forward to.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
russau
post Aug 3 2012, 05:24 AM
Post #72

russau

Member No.: 43

IMPRESSIVE!

+Quote Post
jim
post Aug 3 2012, 06:24 AM
Post #73

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 994

Wow Chris that's quite beautiful. groucho.gif Uhh my birthday is Monday...hint hint.

+Quote Post
Denise
post Aug 3 2012, 07:54 AM
Post #74

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif That turned out incredible, you do amazing work.
The custom file work looks fantastic! You hit another one right out of the ballpark Chris! smiley-clapping.gif

BTW....Pretty sweet looking fossil leaves specimen it is sitting on also!
wink.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Aug 3 2012, 08:49 PM
Post #75

Thanks for the kind words you guys. cheers.gif
The level of building that I've been doing is not terribly difficult to learn or do and I would encourage anyone who's interested to try it. It's also rewarding because you can use, sell, or barter the end product. It's just fun to create stuff. Even with minimal hand tools and a shoestring budget, this can be done by you. I received my (full tang) Chef's knife blank and I'll crank out a handle for it and be done fast. After that I'm kicking it up a notch by making my own blade blank from annealed bar stock (ATS34 steel) then getting it professionally heat treated. That will be my next step to creating original crafted blade designs that I can put my name on. happy088.gif

QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Aug 3 2012, 07:54 AM) *
BTW....Pretty sweet looking fossil leaves specimen it is sitting on also!
wink.gif

hehe... I thought you might like that old fossil plate. I was looking around here for a good background and settled on that one.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
swizz
post Aug 4 2012, 09:31 AM
Post #76

Here is the liner-lock folding knife I just completed. It was a very good learning experience. The blade is almost 4" long so it's a biggun. Steel is AUS8 and I used Cocoblo for the handle.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
swizz
post Aug 4 2012, 10:34 AM
Post #77

Here's the Chef's knife that I'm beginning work on. This blank is pretty rough so I'm going to spend some time sanding and buffing it before I make a handle for it. The steel is AUS8 and already heat treated/hardened.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
swizz
post Aug 4 2012, 09:11 PM
Post #78

I'm going to use a piece of scrap tongue & groove wood flooring (mahogany) for handles on the Chef knife.
If you have a keen eye, you'll notice that I've reshaped the handle tang a little. I used a flex Dremel with coarse sanding barrel bit and shaped it to my liking.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Denise
post Aug 4 2012, 09:24 PM
Post #79

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

That turned out great Chris! Sweet looking wood handle, good job! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
I have to also mention that beautiful bunny (?) pelt that it is on. Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing the chef kife finished. Looks like your crusing right into it.

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Aug 5 2012, 11:56 AM
Post #80

You got it right... that's a wabbit pelt! I have a few different colors of them in my fly-tying supplies. The rabbit might be dead but that pelt will live on and be used for many things. happy088.gif

Chef knife handle progress: I'm adding handle spacers to this one and thought I'd share this process real quick. It doesn't serve much function other than aesthetics. This spacer material is black and made of some kind of plastic. It comes in many different colors and is very thin. Some spacer material is made of vulcanized paper and/or other materials. I bought this from a knifemaking supply store (online) and the sheet was only a couple of bucks. There's enough left over to use on future builds.
Here I have cut it and epoxied it to my rough handle scales using Gorilla epoxy. The spacers will be tight against the handle tang once I attach the scales to the knife. I'll let the epoxy set for a couple of hours before unclamping and then move on to attaching them to the knife.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
swizz
post Aug 5 2012, 01:55 PM
Post #81

While that's drying...
I've designed my first blade. This is my sketch of what I'll be building next. I'll make a template of this drawing and transfer it to the bar stock steel. The metal I will be using is also pictured. ATS-34 is an excellent steel for knifemaking. This piece is annealed but not heat-treated yet. That will make shaping and detail filing less difficult. Once I cut, shape, and detail the knife blank... I'll send it out to be heat treated to a Rockwell hardness of 58-60. When it's returned, I'll begin work on the handle. This method of knifemaking is "Stock Removal". This will be my first try at it and hopefully produce an original piece that I can call 100% my own. happy088.gif
My design is based on the very old Nessmuck style of knife which was extremely common in the 1800s. Kind of an all-purpose knife used by the settlers, cowboys, miners, hunters, ranchers, etc. Handle materials and handle styles for this knife can be basically anything the builder chooses but the common trait of the Nessmuck is the blade shape which is similar to a modern skinner. I guess I chose this blade shape/style cuz I'm kinda old fashioned. char092.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
jim
post Aug 5 2012, 03:56 PM
Post #82

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 994

Go ahead and admit it Chris. You are a pro knife maker with eons of training and experience. There ain't no way that you are new at it. Your work is giving you away. If you expect us to believe that you are a novice you need to leave a flaw or two...beautiful work dude.

+Quote Post
swizz
post Aug 5 2012, 04:35 PM
Post #83

smiley-laughing021.gif
I really wish I had more experience at this. My only experience is from when I was in high school 1979. I had both Metal and Wood Shop classes. We were allowed to do a combined shop project that year which was "Make A Knife". We crafted the blade (full tang) in Metal Shop, then the next hour was Wood Shop where we did handle work. I really got into that project and got an A after turning in my knife... which somehow got stolen from the Shop locker!!! bash.gif After those long hours of crafting that knife as teenager, then to have it ripped off, I thought I was cured of knifemaking forever and went back to crafting marijuana pipes when the teacher wasn't looking. Needless to say, I plum forgot everything about how to "Make A Knife". I doubt any Shop classes in the country offer knifemaking classes anymore, lol... hell we were making and wearing hunting knives in school, gun racks in trucks. Lucky to live in that more innocent time and a small rural community as a kid. Now that my interest has been rekindled by Woody's gift of a Machete... I dove in a bit and used the internet to learn, which is a tremendous resource as you know.

I made plenty of mistakes on that one with the vine pattern but managed to back-track and fix them as I went along (I think this is known as the "Texas Two-Step" slaphead.gif ). What should have been a fast build took forever and that's ok.. have to put my hands on all the burners. I was really super careful with the folding knife and that one turned out well. The large skinner that I made is far from flawless in my mind. I had problems squaring the bolsters and if I look hard I see much room for improvement on that one. I'm getting better now but will continue to make mistakes for sure. As a beginner I can testify again that it can be done by anyone with patience and determination with minimal tools or investment. I got a little 'artsy' with the vine thing but it's not a necessary skill for making a quality knife. You should try it Jim! Making them from blanks is fun and easy and I already know that you are an exceptionally talented artist with attention to detail and an eye for beauty. Your works don't lie and I have a guitar pick here to prove it!
I might turn out to be a flop at stock removal but I have to try it. Steel shaping is a much different animal than what I've been doing thus far.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
swizz
post Aug 5 2012, 05:17 PM
Post #84

Chef knife.... here I've epoxied one handle scale with the black spacer facing the tang. I'll leave it clamped overnight then drill holes for the pins.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
swizz
post Aug 6 2012, 08:00 AM
Post #85

Meanwhile... with the Nessmuck project, I had to alter the design. After cutting out a template from my first drawing it was apparent that the handle tang was too small. Here, I have altered my drawing and added another 3/4" to the tang as well as lengthened the blade. I'm cleaning up the curves now, will cut another template shortly and try it in hand... maybe as a cardboard knife cut-out first.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post

35 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
42 User(s) are reading this topic (42 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:33 PM