ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

35 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Knife Making
swizz
post Nov 26 2012, 07:56 AM
Post #131

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,983

Thanks Denise!
No worries on getting cut. The cutting edge of the knife will remain dull (thickness of a dime) until after heat-treatment and handle assembly. Shaping and sharpening the cutting edge is the final step.
The vise is such a big upgrade, especially for detail filing. It's all-steel with rubber jaws, and fully universal... still can't believe it cost only $20! Univesal Knife Vise

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
swizz
post Nov 29 2012, 12:19 PM
Post #132

The Drop Point knife is almost ready for heat treat.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Denise
post Dec 3 2012, 08:24 AM
Post #133

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Not a bad price for the vise at all! Projects are coming along nicely Chris! I can't wait to see the finished pieces with the wood you are going to use for the handles. eating-popcorn-03.gif

Sweet fossil specimen also!!!
smile.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Dec 21 2012, 10:25 AM
Post #134

Hi all,
Just a quick update on my knife work for anyone interested.

This is the Nessmuk I was working on. I got it back from heat-treatment and was ready to begin finish work. I noticed a slight bow in the knife and attempted to straighten it using a table vice and three dowels. I put incredible stress on the knife while attempting to correct the problem and.... SNAP! I never had high hopes of straightening it after heat-treat. Not a big deal and I'm moving forward with other builds. The billet I made the Nessmuk from was bowed when I bought it. I had corrected it prior to heat-treat but I believe it recurred during the process. Lesson learned with the steel. I'm now working with "precision ground" billet steel which arrives perfectly straight and flat.
Here's the Muk

Here are two Drop Point Hunters I'm currently working on (from precision ground CPM154CM). I'm still working with hand files and sandpaper so these took an incredibly long time. They are almost ready to send in for heat-treatment (one still needs to be drilled).
Two different hunter-style blade shapes here. The top one is what I would consider a "classic hunter" and the bottom will be a "hunter/skinner".

I am fabricating bolsters from 1/4" thick brass billet.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Denise
post Dec 21 2012, 11:48 AM
Post #135

Master Mucker!

That really stinks about the Nessmuk snapping, but was definately a live and learn. The precious ground billet steel sounds perfect for what you are doing. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Your work is looking great Chris, thanks for the updates. Very interesting stuff to learn.
happy088.gif

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
amorton
post Dec 21 2012, 05:05 PM
Post #136

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 7,475

Swizz don't throw out that knife, I can weld it for you, It wont be 100% like new but its salvageable as a good backup knife or truck knife.

+Quote Post
swizz
post Dec 21 2012, 07:58 PM
Post #137

QUOTE (amorton @ Dec 21 2012, 04:05 PM) *
Swizz don't throw out that knife, I can weld it for you, It wont be 100% like new but its salvageable as a good backup knife or truck knife.

Hi Andrew!
I wont be throwing it out... it's currently in my museum of broken stuff.
I wouldn't be able to live with it as a resurrected piece. It has a vine pattern filed into the spine which would never line up and it would drive me nuts to look at it.
Plus, it would still require a LOT of finish work including the secondary bevel (cutting edge), blade finish, and scales.... many hours.
Need a challenging lil winter side-project? groucho.gif
To me it's not worth it and it'll just collect dust here in the "museum".... BUT... if you want to dabble with it for your own use I'd be happy to send it your way! It's already hardened.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
swizz
post Dec 25 2012, 09:41 AM
Post #138

meanwhile...
This pair of drop point hunters is about ready for heat-treat. I'm experimenting with filing thumb grips onto the top of knife spines. If I can master that soon (practicing today)... I'm going to add that feature to these before sending them in. If I owned a checkering file it would be really easy but they cost about $50 each. Attempting with needle files now.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Denise
post Dec 26 2012, 09:14 AM
Post #139

Master Mucker!

QUOTE (swizz @ Dec 21 2012, 06:58 PM) *
Hi Andrew!
I wont be throwing it out... it's currently in my museum of broken stuff.

I have one of those also sad to say. Sure would be nice to do something with them though. I must have 10-15 flawed guitar picks half done that will never be finished out. I see no point in finishing them when a flaw is detected, since they will be used as a tool.

Bet if the broken knife could be lined up and fixed properly, Andrew would be the guy to do it! happy088.gif
Hope the thumb grips are coming along good.

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jan 21 2013, 10:43 AM
Post #140

I've been learning how to make leather sheaths during the cold evenings here.
This is an accomplishment for me since I can't even sew a button to save my life.
Bad thing is, I've discovered that sheath-making is possibly more addictive than knifemaking. Leather is pretty fun to work with. I used a sewing awl so that took the pain out of stitching but I still need to learn saddle-stitching with two needles.
This sheath is a "friction fit" type. The fit turned out nice and firm. Pattern making is very important. I can shake this upside-down and the knife stays put. It has a three-finger grab. The leather is 7-8oz double-shoulder cowhide which I dyed walnut and treated with several chemicals throughout the process.
I'll be gifting this knife and sheath to the guy who delivers wood (always gives me a great deal). He's a south-paw, hence the lefty sheath.
I would encourage anyone who's ever thought about doing leather work to give it a try! Relatively inexpensive and downright fun. There are online youtube tutorials that make it fairly easy to learn.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
russau
post Jan 21 2013, 09:28 PM
Post #141

russau

Member No.: 43

extreamly beautiful work Chris! i made a sheath for a knife my late father in law gave me out of a soft leather (possibly deer) i made this about 77-78 and i still have it but dont use the knife anymore.i used this knofe as my skinning knife when i used to hunt.

+Quote Post
Denise
post Jan 28 2013, 08:17 AM
Post #142

Master Mucker!

Fantastic work Chris, it turned out awesome! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif You are definately a man of many talents!! I love working with leather. My first job was working at an indian tribal center making moccasins and jewelry. After a day of punching holes in leather, one sure feels it in their hands. wacko.gif We use to also make little leather purses......I loved that job! happy.gif

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Dypheron
post Jan 28 2013, 11:40 AM
Post #143

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 52,528

Swizz, to go way back to the beginning where you mentioned the inlayed designs, it's a bit easier (in theory) than you think. They engrave the design into the metal in such a way that both sides are undercut. /_\ <-sort of like that. Then they basically take wire and beat it into the cut, filling in the undercut and making it part of the base metal. For a really cool looking checkerboard pattern they twist two different types of wire together and inlay that. Used to have a copy of a documentary on traditional swordmaking where they demonstrated the technique, really cool stuff.

--------------------
Life goes by so fast/You only wanna do what you think is right/Close your eyes and it's past/Story of my life - Mike Ness

+Quote Post
swizz
post Feb 6 2013, 08:39 PM
Post #144

Dypheron, russ, and Denise, thanks for the kudos! Leather work is pretty addicting. Dypheron, regarding the inlay work... I think I can grasp the inlay process but the engraving is a true art-form within itself. It requires some equipment and a lot of skill. I may try to tackle that down the road but have miles to learn about knifemaking alone. I need to master function before I get too fancy. There are many facets of knifemaking which I haven't even tried yet. I'm gonna need a bigger bucket for my bucket list. wacko.gif

I just sheathed my two throwing hawks.... took a couple days each. They're snug as a bug. Now they won't be hacking up the interior of my Jeep.
Here are some pix.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Caveman
post Feb 6 2013, 08:49 PM
Post #145

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 41,357

Swizz,

Don't kid yourself.... those sheaths look totally professional. Increadible work. The same goes for the knives. Great work! I am very impressed, and I am looking foward to the day when you start selling them. I will definitely buy one!

Caveman

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
World Traveler, 7 Continent Walker
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER
Referral Code: SE2104

+Quote Post

35 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
26 User(s) are reading this topic (26 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:50 AM