ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Kids Outing, 3/26-3/28
nate
post Mar 22 2017, 02:42 PM
Post #1

Shovel Buster!

Group: Members
Member No.: 121,949

My sister is bringing my nephews 7 and 12 years old out here from south carolina. I told them i would take them digging while they are out here, so they can find some cool stuff of their own. My initial thought was otero county for the calcites and fossils. Downside of that is its quite the drive out there. I was hoping to get some permission for private land, but it hasnt worked out yet. If it does, ill have a spot less than an hour away for some nodules. I figure if they get bored of digging we can hike around checking out the limestone for fossils and hematite?(brown shinies).

Has anyone taken any kids out that have had a blast in areas an hour or 2 from colorado springs or denver?

Ive also considered some hiking and agate hunting. Thoughts?

Trying to have options to give them, but also to dodge the days of storms that may be coming this way.

--------------------
Rock: Climb it. Dig it. Build your house upon it.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Mar 22 2017, 03:26 PM
Post #2

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

Go to the yellow rock shop in hartsel. They charge $5 a head and will give you directions to their property with barite. Easy access and guaranteed finds. Great place for kids!

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
nate
post Mar 23 2017, 03:08 PM
Post #3

Shovel Buster!

Crusty, thank you.

Do you have any info on that place? Looked it up and couldn't find anything.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Mar 23 2017, 04:41 PM
Post #4

Master Mucker!

QUOTE (nate @ Mar 23 2017, 03:08 PM) *
Crusty, thank you.

Do you have any info on that place? Looked it up and couldn't find anything.

Here is their website: http://www.rockymountaingiftsandrocks.com/

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
nate
post Apr 2 2017, 03:12 PM
Post #5

Shovel Buster!

thanks for that crusty. I ended up emailing them and they will not be opening up their claim for another few weeks....based on weather.

We ended up going out towards la junta in otero county, i believe a little further west than we were before. Found some pretty great calcites, though nothing of size, tons of clam looking shell fossils, and several nice ammonite fossils. Also found what looked to be some larger bone fossils(didnt take anything but pictures) Ill post some pictures later of that trip, but a good time was had by all. Ill probably go check out hartsel soon after they open as i have several other kids that id like to take out sometime......gotta get them started young.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Apr 2 2017, 04:27 PM
Post #6

Master Mucker!

QUOTE (nate @ Apr 2 2017, 03:12 PM) *
thanks for that crusty. I ended up emailing them and they will not be opening up their claim for another few weeks....based on weather.

We ended up going out towards la junta in otero county, i believe a little further west than we were before. Found some pretty great calcites, though nothing of size, tons of clam looking shell fossils, and several nice ammonite fossils. Also found what looked to be some larger bone fossils(didnt take anything but pictures) Ill post some pictures later of that trip, but a good time was had by all. Ill probably go check out hartsel soon after they open as i have several other kids that id like to take out sometime......gotta get them started young.

Bummer. Glad you came up with a good plan B!

Let me know when you make another run at it. I've got some neighbor kids I'd like to get out!

--------------------

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:26 AM