ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

31 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
My last outing, A Weekly posting
Woody
post Jun 19 2011, 11:08 PM
Post #31

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,615

More flowers.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member
(currently working hard in the procurement department)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Woody
post Jun 19 2011, 11:10 PM
Post #32

Rock Bar!

Since it was Fathers Day I had to post one of good ol' dad. Happy fathers Day.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jun 19 2011, 11:45 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 6,983

Woody,
Awesome trip reports and pics!!!!!
To me, this is the best time of year... and Happy Father's Day!

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Denise
post Jun 20 2011, 12:53 PM
Post #34

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Always great to hear about your outings Woody, and the pictures are great! The wildflowers are always a pleasure to see, and you show some good ones. greensmilies-012.gif smiley-clapping.gif

This one that you showed is really cool.....

It's a Ballhead Waterleaf (Hydrophyllaceae), and is said to be the only Hydrophyllum which has flowers located below it's leaves. happy.gif
They usually grow in river bottoms, prairies and open woods from low to medium elevation.
Very pretty flower!!

Thanks for sharing with us, and I'm glad to see you had a good Fathers Day (Happy Fathers Day!).
smile.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Jul 6 2011, 11:43 AM
Post #35

Rock Bar!

My fourth of July Weekend.

Went up to Northern Colorado this weekend and visited a claim owned by Chris, aka Swizz. I had an awesome time and was introduced to a part of the state I had never seen before. The views offered in this area are unlike anything I imagined. I always thought the border between Colorado and Wyoming was in a flatland type area like the corridor of I-25. It was a pleasant surprise. Colorado never seizes to amaze me.
When I got up to the claim the first thing I did was have a look around. Historically there has been a lot of mining activity at this claim location. Deep holes, tailing piles, and large sections of metal can be seen throughout the claim. Water is at a premium so large amounts of effort must have been consumed in getting the material closer to the main stream. We spent a lot of time in the evenings poking around in the campfire and discussing theories but some secrets are lost to the mountains forever.

Digging in the soil quickly produced an assortment of aggregate with lots of Quartz, heavy material, and black sand. The amount and size of Garnets found here are worthy of mention. I think someone skilled at working small stones might be interested in this as well. “Hint-hint, Mrs. CP”. In some areas there was a fair amount of overburden, in others the colorful gravel was laying on the ground like topsoil. Lots of the material comes out of the ground as if it has been recently run through a rock crusher. The edges are sharp and jagged. Occasionally a fist sized stone will pop-out with perfectly rounded sides indicating geologic activity has been selectively kinder to that one. I think there is a good, distinct representation of at least two separate glacial activities found here as well with several inches of material between the two layers.

It was difficult to keep my nose out of my screenings and focus on production. In the end I failed at that task, just way too many sparkly, shinny things to distract a person. At first it was a crap-shoot at finding the yeller stuff. But we soon settled into an area and started to work the side of a bank. I did not run a lot of material but collectively we found several nice pickers and most of the gold was chunky. This place has much potential. We sampled only a small area and different minds will come up with different prospecting styles. There is room for that here. So if anyone is interested, check out Swizz’s thread in the member’s area. I’m sure you will find it interesting. Have a good one, Woody.

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Jul 6 2011, 11:47 AM
Post #36

Rock Bar!

A pic of some chunky Gold. Even the small ones have depth.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Jul 6 2011, 11:53 AM
Post #37

Rock Bar!

Here are a few pics of the surrounding area and I have to throw one in of some neat wild flowers I found.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jul 6 2011, 05:16 PM
Post #38

cheers.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Denise
post Jul 7 2011, 07:34 AM
Post #39

Master Mucker!

Chris is a great guy, Im glad you two were able to get together and enjoy the weekend. happy088.gif
Sounds and looks like it was a great time Woody! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif It's always a pleasure reading about your adventures.
Very nice looking gold you recovered. Were you panning or sluicing? Inquiring minds want to know. biggrin.gif

I love finding the Garnets in the concentrates.....especially the larger ones! I find it's easier to get them out when the concentrates are dry.
They make great critter eyes in the smaller rock sculptures I create. wink.gif

Looking forward to your next outing update!
smile.gif

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Jul 7 2011, 10:08 PM
Post #40

Rock Bar!

Mrs. CP,

We did very little panning. Almost all of our test areas were small bucket loads ran through the sluice. The stream has to be modified to even get a spot deep enough to pan. The bank is that dark black, clayish, bog stuff in a lot of places and can easily be cut into a perfect mold for the sluice. Which is a good thing because it takes almost every drop of water that brook has to be able to run your material. Most of my gold was recovered right off the black mat. I was able to pick 5 pieces up by fingertips and place them in my sucker bottle. The picture does not do these flakes any Justice. The biggest would not even fit in the tube of the sucker bottle. I really think in just a short time Ol' Chris will be into the good stuff. As for the garnets, there was some that were too big to fit through the #8 screen. How big do they have to be for you to be able to work them on a polisher? Maybe next time I go there I, "or Chris", can save you a sample. Woody

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jul 8 2011, 07:45 PM
Post #41

Woody,
Here is a pic of some of my Gold after clean-up from our trip last weekend. Like you said... chunky. Mostly larger pieces and barely anything in the "flour" category from this sampling.
Most pieces in this pic are between #12 and #30, not much smaller.. which is GOOD! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif ...especially since we technically did not move an awful lot of material.

Casa De Woody

Nice n peaceful

Good times. cheers.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Woody
post Jul 8 2011, 08:36 PM
Post #42

Rock Bar!

Nice pics Swizz thanks,

Glad to see you came away with some good looking color. How does it compair with that sampling you did with the dredge. See, thats another part, getting that dredge set up on the main creek is bound to produce. Just got to figure out what depth the color is. You might be mindful and check if the water flow has changed since last weekend. If so, I have a couple of other stratigies that you might consider.

That tent looks like it is calling my name. Have a good one, Woody

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jul 8 2011, 09:05 PM
Post #43

I was never able to get the dredge going, pump mucked before she sucked. There actually may be Gold in my pump... need to de-muck and pan it.
Everything I dug at the head of the main pond was by hand. I think the stuff we were getting from Bear Sh!t Creek was larger but I still want to continue my sampling at the pond, there was some nice stuff there also.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Denise
post Jul 9 2011, 12:05 PM
Post #44

Master Mucker!

Sweet update, and great looking finds Chris! Don't you just love finding gold in all the spots you test? thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Makes me think of being in a chocolate factory...........too many choices, but enough time to test it all!
Sweet being a claim owner isn't it Chris?
smiley-clapping.gif

As for the garnets, there was some that were too big to fit through the #8 screen. How big do they have to be for you to be able to work them on a polisher? Maybe next time I go there I, "or Chris", can save you a sample. Woody

Sounds great Woody, even the smaller chips can be worked into a project, even if its too small to polish. If I can fit it on my finger tip, I can polish it. biggrin.gif I was going to use unpolished Garnets for the snowman's eyes I made, but decided not to. Dan said it looked best just as it was, so I went with his oppinion. I do have a larger snowman in the works made of Colorado white banded agate that I was wanting to use Colorado garnets for, and those sound perfect! What colors of Garnets have you guys been finding? I can see them in the pictures, but can't really tell the colors well.

Thanks for offering Woody! What would really be cool is if I could get up there and find some for myself. emoticon-misc-004.gif happy.gif
Looks like were missing out on some good times, great people and sweet finds!

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jul 9 2011, 03:11 PM
Post #45

QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Jul 9 2011, 12:05 PM) *
Sweet being a claim owner isn't it Chris?

Very sweet. happy088.gif
Your chocolate factory comment was spot on!
Short mining seasons and still MUCH sampling to do. signs026.gif emoticon-misc-004.gif ...my kinda work though.
It is VERY nice to have mineral rights indeed.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post

31 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
17 User(s) are reading this topic (17 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:42 AM